not sick enough for surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

not sick enough for surgery? not sick enough for surgery?

Unread 12-20-2005, 07:36 PM
not sick enough for surgery?

Girls,\
just venting. My doctor found a cyst on one of my ovaries and therefore scheduled the hysterectomy (and because removal of the ovaries lowers the risk of breast cancer in patients with a family history of bc). Anyway, I was never more than 1 day sick in my life and am feeling great even now - no pain, no nothing. The thought of having such a major operation which knocks me out for about 6 weeks drives me crazy. But I guess rather this than suddenly waking up to a cancerous cyst with it being too late at that time .... I read that most of you had year long problems, pains etc. so you are 'looking forward' to the surgery. I feel that I am perfectly healthy now and will be worse off after it - with menopause setting in, being forced to stay at home etc etc. I know I am wrong - just venting my frustration!!!! Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 08:43 PM

Sister,
My surgery is the day before yours. I too at times have had second thoughts. However, I just had another terrible period and then I knew I was doing the right thing. I have been anemic, submucosal fibroid, pain, etc. But on those days when you are feeling good it just seems hard to justify surgery. So....I kind of know how you feel. Only you know what it best for your situation. Read and gather lot's of information because knowledge is your best defense. It and prayer will help you make the right decision. Take more time if you need to or get a second opinion even. Best wishes and keep us updated.
Karen
Unread 12-20-2005, 09:10 PM

If you are feeling great now and have some time to research your doctors recommendation-I recommend that you get started. First off get a second or third opinion. Often times the type of cyst can be determined from the ultrasound. Small benign cysts can often be left alone. Ask for copies of your ultrasound report and take it with you to any consult you get. Ask to talk to the radiologist who wrote up the report.

My doctor recommended what your doctor is recommending. If I had it to do over again I would not! The lesson I learned (and it was a hard lesson learned) is to get multiple opinions. Find out what school of thought your doctor represents. They all do not recommend removing healthy ovaries, particularly in women who have not gone though menopause. Some doctors really feel that a women's reproductive organs are a liabilty to her once she if through with childbearing. This thinking has already changed in some quarters. If your cyst is small and it is determined that it should be looked at consider getting a consult for a laproscopic peek at it.

Many women find it hard to believe that there are doctors out there who are recommending hysterectomy with BSO for benign problems. Unfortunately this is happening. You might want to consider having the least amount of surgery that is possible.

Some articles to read are found at this link.prior thread with articles posted on the value of ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 09:13 PM

For me, the risk of "some things that could go wrong" was worth it. I was pretty sick. Now, I'm very glad to have had the hyst, it's already changed my life for the better! I'm a new woman! We are all different of course, with different problems, mine was unusual.
Unread 12-20-2005, 09:45 PM

I am sorry you are having to face a hyst for the new year. I hope you will seek at least a 2nd opinion before you have your procedure. A hyst is something that is irreversible so you need to make sure this is your only option before having the surgery, esp as you sound unsure about the decision. We have an alternatives and options forum here on the site which may have some suggestions for you: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...daysprune=&f=4. Also, please research as much as you are able about your condition before your surgery, so you are aware of the risks as well as the good. Ask your dr specifically why you need a hyst and what will be accomplished. And again, I highly recommend at least a 2nd opinion, if not a 3rd, before having a hyst.

Best wishes to you for whatever you decide.
Unread 12-21-2005, 01:02 AM

Hello, I understand your concerns. Have you had a second or third opinion? This might be something you want to look into. I am almost 6 weeks and making wonderful progress. I wish you the best !!
Unread 12-21-2005, 06:39 AM

Best Wishes to you!!!! I would hope your doctor knows what he/she is talking about, and would only suggest it with good reason, but a second opinion I am sure would ease your mind!!!!!! I am sure feeling that if it ain't broke don't fix it, but like you said, better to take care of it before you would get any worse!!!!! I am sure you will make the right decision!!!!
Happy Holidays to you!!!!
Unread 12-21-2005, 07:59 AM

I have endometriosis. I have had very little pain with it although I do have heavy periods and am anemic. While seeing the dr my endometriosis had worsened and now I have a 5" endometrioma on my right ovary that is pushing my uterus and bladder over. I still really don't have pain other than crampy periods. I keep thinking that I don't feel that bad now, will I really feel better after my hyst??? I am comfortable with my dr's decision (she's been wanting to do a hyst for over a year ). That is absolutely necessary, you have to feel confident in your dr. It sounds like you definitely need a 2nd opinion.

Good luck finding what is right for you
Unread 12-21-2005, 11:06 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about. I felt perfectly fine, nothing like I've read on this site. No major bleeding, just cramps 1 day before my period. Other than that I had no idea that something was growing inside me.

I went for my annual and dr. noticed uterus was enlarged so I went across the hall for a vaginal and external ultrasound. Bam, there it was, this quite large fibroid. He couldn't even find my right ovary. He immediately told me I would have to have surgery and probably end up with a hysterecomy. After the shock wore off, I knew he would never suggest this without being sure. I've seen same dr. for years as have many of my friends.

Many told me to get 2nd opinion, which I didn't but think if you have any doubts you absolutely should. My husband was convinced when he saw the ultrasound photos. We both wanted that out of there.

After the surgery, we found out that it was a lot larger and more complicated than he could tell on the ultrasound, so for me it was absolutely the right choice. The thought of something that large growing and taking over inside me was scarier than the surgery and subsequent recovery. BTW I am not a very heavy girl (quite average) and was surprised that I couldn't tell it was there. I thought I just had that 40 year old slight pooch belly, it had pushed everything else out of its way.

By all means get another opinion if are in doubt, you need to be in the right frame of mind when you go in for the surgery. Being positive really helps.

Good luck.
Unread 12-21-2005, 11:12 AM

Hi Annapurna,

I agree with getting a 2nd or 3rd opinion. There is ~no~ putting body parts back after a hyst.

You mentioned in a previous post that you are having an abdominal surgery. Maybe you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a laparoscopic surgery?? Two types are the LAVH and the LSH, which I had. Generally, recovery time is much shorter.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the ~different~ types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

I am not a Dr. and it seems like a very invasive tact to want to remove everything because of a cyst on the ovary. Possibly you could just have the one ovary removed?? There is better safe than sorry and I might suggest you ask your Dr. if he is trained in less invasive surgeries. Another reason to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion, if he isn't. Many Drs do not go back to school to educate themselves on less invasive hysts so something to check on for yourself.

Best wishes,

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register