Recovery time for BSO? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time for BSO? Recovery time for BSO?

Unread 12-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Recovery time for BSO?

Hi Ladies...

I had my hysterectomy almost 4 years ago. I have had a tough time with adhesions...had them removed 2 years ago. The little boogers came back with a vegence. I am scheduled to have the adhesions removed again, along with my left ovary due to a very large mass. My doc says he will try to do the surgery with the scope, but it may be too ugly once he gets in & I will have to have a laporotomy. Depending on the looks of my right ovary it may have to be removed too. I am so freaked out about waking up in surgical menopause at the age of 38. I was wondering what the recovery time is for the BSO? Is it 6-8 weeks like the hyst? My hysterectomy was done LAVH & I took the full 6 weeks off to recover. I am so nervous about the upcoming surgery. I am scheduled for the 25th of January. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Monica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Recovery time for BSO?

Hi Monica, I had a TAH in April and then had a BSO 7 months later. I was scared about the surgical menopause also, so far everything has been fine. I am on 0.3mgs of Premarin, and will probably be upped at my 6 week post op dr visit next week. The recovery time for me has been the same as the TAH, it has been easier in a way because I knew more of what to expect. My dr also tried to do it laproscopic, once he got in it was a big mess due to adhesions and he ended up doing a laprotomy to be safe. My right ovary was adhered to the left ovary, the left ovary was between the right ovary and the vaginal cuff, and both ovaries were adhered to the vaginal cuff. I had a hemorragic cyst on the left ovary, which is the main reason I had the BSO to begin with. I can't believe how good I feel, I had a lot of pelvic pain, lower back ache and trouble with my bowels. I think you will need as much time off as you can get, the fatigue has been my biggest complaint. I hope that your menopausal symtons will be minimal. Please keep us posted on what goes on, we are here for you. I am sending you huge .
Unread 12-23-2005, 08:36 PM
That is me too..

I am in the same boat as you. I had a LAVH one year ago and now I am scheduled to have my one remaining ovary removed due to a complex mass on it and adhesions. I have the bowel thing too. They think I have ahdesions all over in there and are going to try to get it all out. I am having the laparotomy and I was wondering about the recovery time as well. I just turned 33 and I am afraid of the surgical menopause thing too. I really hope everything goes well for you!! I also hope lots of people write you with advice! Good luck! I am scheduled to have my surgery the first week of January so I'll see you back on this site I'm sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Recovery time for BSO?

Thank you ladies for your replies. It really helps to hear from others that have been through it.

Kittenchloe...Gosh! We really are in the same boat. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I had a nightmare last night about losing my ovaries. I was begging the doctor not to take my girls. Please keep in touch with me & let me know how your surgery goes. I will be thinking about you. If you get panicky or just need someone to talk to, I am here for ya!

Merry Christmas!

Monica
Unread 12-24-2005, 01:52 AM
Recovery time for BSO?

Thanks! I am totally freaked out about it. I had a nightmare too!! Doctors ripping my ovaries out. Too weird! I definitely could use someone who understands how I'm feeling to talk with! Same goes for you. I am hear if you need me! I think my surgery is before yours right? If so I'll be sure to let you know everything I can.
Unread 12-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Recovery time for BSO?

I just had a BSO on the 12th (1 1/2 years after my hysterectomy). My hysterectomy was a TVH so having an incision (vertical) was new for me. It hasn't been as bad as I thought. In fact, the 1st 3 days were absolutely wonderful (except for the itching from the morphine!). Now I am still a bit sore, especially on the left side (where the mass was). I'm not as tired as I thought I would be, although things have been pretty crazy with the holidays. Perhaps in the aftermath I'll crash. In the meantime, I'm a singer and am scheduled to sing at 2 services Christmas Eve. After completing one service and then going out to dinner with my family, I'm sore and swollen. One more service at midnight and I'm done. I'm sure I'll pay dearly tomorrow, but it was worth it to me tonight. My surgeon said he was optimistic I would be able to sing 12 days after surgery and he was right. He did a great job! As far as menopause symptoms, I do admit I've experienced some hot flashes at night. I cannot take hormones, so I just have to tough it out. Again, so far it has not been nearly as bad as I'd imagined. Good luck to everyone having to go through this.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, etc. to everyone!
Unread 01-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Recovery time for BSO?

I had a hysterectomy on Dec 6th and the right ovary was left in. I had a tummy tuck at the same time. Pathology unexpectedly came back with leiomyosarcoma growing in a fibroid tumor. So now I have to have surgery to remove the remaining ovary and lymph nodes in a few weeks. I know I have to do this but I can't help being depressed at more surgery and another 6 weeks recovery. I have a huge horizontal scar and now will have a big vertical scar. I'm going to look like a carved up Thanksgiving turkey.Will healing be similar for both surgeries? What feels different with the vertical incision?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register