Cervix to remove or not to remove that is the ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix to remove or not to remove that is the ? Cervix to remove or not to remove that is the ?

Unread 12-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Cervix to remove or not to remove that is the ?

Sceduled for Feb 1st. Find great sexual pleasure in my cervix. Only reason for my hsyt is heavy, clotting and never ending periods. Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2005, 06:08 AM

Sschuh,

Here is a link to an article which may help you decided: Keep Cervix?

I am glad you are asking questions. Learn as much as you can.

s,
Kay
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:21 AM

I suffered for many years with heavy bleeding, very large blood clots, and never ending cycles. My doctor and I discussed my options and decided it was best to have the cervix removed even tho' I've only had one bad pap smear. I do have a history of cervical cancer in my family and by removing the cervix now, I would be avoiding that potential later down the road.

While I had concerns about how this may affect me sexually, removing the cervix has not affected my ability to have an orgasm.... In fact, they have improved!

Definitely discuss your options with your doctor. I'm sure he/she will be more than willing to set up a special appointment just so you can have this conversation and relieve any concerns you may have. Make sure you review your family history to help ensure retaining the cervix won't pose a potential risk for you later down the road.

In the meantime, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2005, 06:52 AM

Hmmmm.....I wonder if it's the cervix that adds the pleasure to sex, or is it the uterus? The uterus contracts when an "o" is achieved, so when it's gone, what does the cervix really have to do with it?. All I know is that whenever it was "touched", I got pain.
Unread 12-22-2005, 12:03 PM

Hi SSchuh,

I am a ~cervix retaining~ Hyster Sister and I am very glad with my decision. My Dr. told me that he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. Has been very true for me on both!! I was a good candidate to keep my cervix since I had had normal pap smears for years and I had a sturdy cervix.

If you decide to keep your cervix, you might ask your Dr. about *cervix cauterization*. If one or both ovaries and the cervix are retained, there is a chance of a ~mini-period~ in post-op. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and I have not had a mini-period in post-op.

You will generally get 2 schools of thinking on keeping or not keeping the cervix. When it comes down to it, it is a very personal decision and you will make the right choice for yourself.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 12-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sschuh
Only reason for my hsyt is heavy, clotting and never ending periods. Anyone have any experience with this?
Hi Sschuh:

Have you had more than one medical opinion? Perhaps you are a candidate for a non-hyst treatment like ablation? Did you get a diagnosis for what is causing the bleeding & clotting?

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 12-22-2005, 03:05 PM

Of course it depends on your operation. If it's a vaginal hyst there is no chance to keep your cervix, it has to come out too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register