How do they check you bladder for tack or sling? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do they check you bladder for tack or sling? How do they check you bladder for tack or sling?

Unread 12-22-2005, 06:15 AM
How do they check you bladder for tack or sling?

Since I have some, um.. leakage issues, my gyn suggested I have this testing done on my bladder before surgery to see about having it tacked, or a sling or something during surgery. She used a long word for the test. Does anyone know what they do? I go in for this test on Jan. 4th and would like to know anyone else's experiences. I think they are checking to see if I have overactive bladder and things like that. Thanks for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2005, 06:29 AM

Ive been wondering about this also, since I have slight regular leakage. It seems to come and go and is worse when I stand too long. It did get better when I was walking regularly, but thats hard to do here in the winter, and driving somewhere to walk is an issue because i live in the burbs.
Sorry I couldn't help, but will be watching your post for answers. Thanks for asking!!
Merry Christmas
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:33 AM

I had a "cystoscopy" done by a urologist to check my bladder. That's when they put a camera into the urethra up to the bladder to see what's going on. No anesthestic or anything, it was ok. That was ok, that's when I was sent to my gyn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2005, 10:19 AM

I had a "urodynamic" test before my surgery. It was pretty simple. They placed a small catheter in my bladder and used a machine that measured bladder activity. It really was painless.
Unread 12-24-2005, 03:14 AM

Urodynamics testing is probably what your DR is referring to.
Do an internet search and you'll find lots of information.

stay well
diana
Unread 12-24-2005, 06:54 AM

I had the urodynamic test for my leakage problems. I didn't think it was all that simple though! Kind of humiliating, so just be prepared for that. First, you go with a full bladder, and you go on what looks like a regular toilet seat, but has a collection cup at the bottom. Then they put a tube in your bladder and your rectum, and have you stand, legs spread, over a towel. Then in goes the water, while you tell them if you are feeling urges. Then they start having you cough, while they watch for leakage. They finally gave up on me. Not a drop, and I was FULL! Go figure! I can just go pee and come sit down, cough, and dribble! Come to think of it, I usually don't leak standing. Maybe something flops forward and blocks it. The actual procedure was going to be done during my colon resection/hysterectomy, but they changed their minds because of the risk of contamination. Don't know if I will go back and have it done later. I am going to wait and see how it goes after surgery. It doesn't sound all that bad. They go in vaginally, and there are no pain medications given after, and maybe like a 4 day recovery, at least by this doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register