Diastasis Symphysis Pubis (DSP) anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diastasis Symphysis Pubis (DSP) anyone? Diastasis Symphysis Pubis (DSP) anyone?

Unread 12-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Diastasis Symphysis Pubis (DSP) anyone?

I know its Christmas Eve, but after all the running around, standing, and wrapping my pelvis and leg is killing me.
After giving birth to my 10lb DD, who is 8, I spent at least 6 months with severe pubic pain. Had to sit down to get dressed couldn't shave my legs cuz I couldn't hold one leg at a time up. My doc had told me I had a deviated pelvis, I asked what it meant and he said my pelvis had seperated during pregnancy and was damaged. I had complained of pain all nine months, but no one even considered that it wasn't normal, and neither did I. All this time as passed and I still go through bouts of severe pain. Lately its been really bad so I did a search on pelvic and leg pain and this is what it brought up. I was stunned when I read it cuz no docs ever told me it existed, never gave it a name, just another symptom put in the whatever file.
If anyone has had this, or still does, what has doc suggested? Added the questions to my list for wed. appt.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2005, 09:43 PM

I have not heard of it but I am glad you are searching online for answers and making a list of questions for Doc.
Let us know what you find out!!
Unread 12-27-2005, 11:47 PM

(((Wikkedlee))), I've seen a few ladies here over the years with this issue... here are links to a couple of threads where it's mentioned:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=135065

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=133191

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=11332

I developed this, along with other problems, as a side effect of Tamoxifen use (affects the hormone relaxin, which acts on the pelvic ligaments). For me, it went away when I stopped taking Tamoxifen and got my hormones balanced.

Let us know what the DR says, OK?
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Yes me too!

I too had this but generally only during my pregnancies. My first was 10lbs 12 ozs, it felt like I had been kicked by a horse in the front of my pubic bone! Ouch! It's not as recognized here as it is abroad, they recommend even giving birth in a different position as to not tear that ligament further. But my OBGYN here hardly paid any attention to it. The post above has some good links check them out, print the stuff out hand it to your Dr. hopefully soon you'll get the help you need. I hope you get relief soon. Peace and Prayers.
Unread 01-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Pubis Symphysis Disorder

Hi, Am new here... but have found this page after searching for hours on google!
Have been suffering with the same as you for a year and a half now. My baby (7ib 2) was born a year ago, and my pelvis has never got any better. Am on crutches and the bone of my pelvis and hips is so painful to lie on and touch. Walking is not possible for very far,a nd my life seems to be over! Am 30 years old, with 2 kids and life is very hard.
The Dr at hospital told me there was no cure, had to just learn to live with constant cronic pain. Am on lots of codeine.
Am very miserable, and desperatly looking for some help with any kind of cure, or even just some support from someone who knows what its like.

Thanks
Harryjo
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I've heard somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjo
Hi, Am new here... but have found this page after searching for hours on google!
Have been suffering with the same as you for a year and a half now. My baby (7ib 2) was born a year ago, and my pelvis has never got any better. Am on crutches and the bone of my pelvis and hips is so painful to lie on and touch. Walking is not possible for very far,a nd my life seems to be over! Am 30 years old, with 2 kids and life is very hard.
The Dr at hospital told me there was no cure, had to just learn to live with constant cronic pain. Am on lots of codeine.
Am very miserable, and desperatly looking for some help with any kind of cure, or even just some support from someone who knows what its like.

Thanks
Harryjo

....about some kind of repair they've could do, it's a ligament there so there's got to be a way, of course I'm no DR, and this is not to be taken as medical advice, but I'll poke around for you Harryjo. I do know that women of Scandinavian decent are at higher risk for this SPD (correct my speling if it's wrong). It seems from what I've read that in the US they are less likely to diagnose and treat this problem than they are abroad....hummm, we need more info. I'll be back.

I found this linky dohttp://www.radmid.demon.co.uk/dsp.htm I'll look for more....

and this one too...UK SPD link

here's another....SPD

These are just for informational purposes and should not be considered as medical advice from me...read and take it to your Dr if you would like to...I hope they help inform you and give you support. I've had 5 babes and each time the pubis pain was different but I do live pain free now, so there is hope.
Unread 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM
diastasis symphysis pubis (DSP) anyone?

I am 56 years old and I've had this condition for many years.
I have 5 children, and I believe this problem started after my third child. He was my largest baby at 8 lbs. 9 ounces. I started feeling the clicking every time I would walk. At that time this was my only symptom. After my last two children
I still had discomfort and I would have the clicking in my pelvis when I walked and tried turning in bed. Then for a few years I didn't feel it as much anymore. About 15 years ago I started having lower back pain, I was unable to stand to long and always had difficulty moving my legs. IT became very hard to walk or climb stairs. I went to my gyn for a check up and he told me that my public bone was separated. Three years ago I had a hysterectomy, since then I feel worse then ever. I feel like it is an effort for me to just walk across the room because I feel like my legs are dead weight . It's very painful to get in and out of a car. This condition is not only painful, but it is also very depressing. A lot of the time I have to walk with a cane now. I can't speak for others, but for myself I can tell you that it puts limitations on my life. Does anyone have these same symptoms from this condition? I've read that some women have gone to a chiropractor and have good results. I'm considering this idea.

Thank you.
Unread 04-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Re: Diastasis Symphysis Pubis (DSP) anyone?

Finally, a place to share the help I finally received after 12 years of pain.
I believe (no proof) that large babies contribute to this problem. My first was natural at 12#7oz. While pregnant with second I fell. Dr. said seperated pelvis after 2 wks bedrest you will be well enough to get along. I have never been the same. Second child was smallest at 10#5oz. Third was 11#3oz. Went to Prolotherapy to get a miracle cure. Long needles into affected area to stimulate swelling for natural healing. Pain remained. Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia - chronic pain condition. Fourth child was 10#11oz. Medications for fibromyalgia have helped a little. Finally found a PT that is slowly adding exercises to relax some of the muscles around this area and strengthen other areas (inner thigh, core/ab). The idea is to compensate for the weakness in this area by using the muscles more efficiently. The threat of more surgery to put plates in this area is great motivation to exercise to avoid that next step.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register