HELP. 3 days away and terrified!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP. 3 days away and terrified!! HELP. 3 days away and terrified!!

Unread 12-25-2005, 03:12 PM
HELP. 3 days away and terrified!!

I wish you the best. All I can say is the same as the rst. Waiting IS the hardest part!!!My house was organized and spotless by the time I had surgery!!!It kept my mind off the upcoming occasion!!!!Best wishes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2005, 03:38 PM

I was scheduled for surgery on December 19 but I had some complications before surgery so it was postponed until 6pm on December 20. I ended up with a TAH /BSO.

I'm sitting on the couch being pampered...as well it should be! I ordered a full dinner from Honey Baked Ham and my dh took care of putting things together. I had a housekeeper come in before the surgery so that nothing around the house would need to be done.

I don't feel so much that I need help taking care of me...but I needed my dh and dd to understand that I wasn't going to be taking care of them. All of the presents got wrapped and people got fed. You just need to adjust the priorities. Even the littlest kid can understand that you need them to take care of you...and they'll enjoy doing it!

I wish that I had thought to bring in more food in advance. My dh cooks often so I didn't really think enough about it. I wish that I had made sure there were sandwich and soup fixings in the house waiting.

I really believe that you'll feel better after the procedure is over...waiting and worry is definitely the tough part!
Unread 12-25-2005, 10:55 PM

mjgrmi,
You mentioned your dh and boys. Since you have been there to do so much for them after the surgery you will need pampering. Ask your dh to read the wonderful information we have on the misterhystersisters under the heading for men. It has a wealth of information for them. For anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how things go you will need to be taken care of in some way or another. I am sure they will rise to the occasion when called upon!?!?!?
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2005, 04:25 PM
A Little Humor

I sent a message to mjgrmi but thought a little humor might help all.
I had my TVH on Wed. the 21st. My DH also kept saying "you'll be fine", "It's a routine procedure" Routine for the Dr. maybe but not for me. He was just as scared as I was but not able to "fix" it for me so felt at a loss I'm sure. Men just are out of their element if they can't take some kind of action to fix things. I came through fine as predicted. However, DH took the 21st till the 26th off to "help" me
(this mostly consisted of laying on the couch watching football and yelling "Can I get you something" every five minutes. By yesterday DH meant a whole different thing to me then Dear Husband. Thankfully he went to work today, I got some peace and quiet, and we will celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary as I refrained from the urge to kill him over the last five days.
Unread 12-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Waiting is the most stressful. Try to relax, and do everything everyone has suggested already. The first couple of days after, are the worst, so take your pain meds right at the 4-6 hour mark each time. That is my best advice. Good luck, it will all be fine!
Unread 12-26-2005, 04:39 PM

I know the anxiety I am a week away from TAH myself. I will mark my calendar for 12/28 and say a special prayer for you. Just knowing there are people to help you is a comfort. Take care, and please let me know how things turn out?
KCat1234
Unread 12-26-2005, 04:41 PM

Hello in Roswell!! Wow, I never see anyone from Roswell. I was born and raised there myself. How exciting!! I am now in Phoenix, but was so excited to see a "neighbor". I am scheduled for TAH on Jan 3rd and am almost at my wits end with the nerves. Any advice?
Kellie
Unread 12-26-2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homechick1A
I sent a message to mjgrmi but thought a little humor might help all.
I had my TVH on Wed. the 21st. My DH also kept saying "you'll be fine", "It's a routine procedure" Routine for the Dr. maybe but not for me. He was just as scared as I was but not able to "fix" it for me so felt at a loss I'm sure. Men just are out of their element if they can't take some kind of action to fix things. I came through fine as predicted. However, DH took the 21st till the 26th off to "help" me
(this mostly consisted of laying on the couch watching football and yelling "Can I get you something" every five minutes. By yesterday DH meant a whole different thing to me then Dear Husband. Thankfully he went to work today, I got some peace and quiet, and we will celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary as I refrained from the urge to kill him over the last five days.
hee hee hee
Unread 12-26-2005, 05:28 PM

I just had my TAH on Nov. 8, and have to have a laporoscopic procedure done on Wed., Dec. 28 also. Dang it, I remember telling myself not to freak out again because the anticipation was the WORST part. But here I am, freaking out again.

In all honesty, the anticipation is the worst. Because what will actually happen is, you'll go to the hospital and get put on a bed and change your clothes. They'll start an IV. When the docs are ready, they'll give you something to put you to sleep. When you wake up, it'll all be over and you'll have pain meds going into your IV. In addition, you might have a little tube going into your incision delivering localized pain meds also. I wasn't in pain but was groggy all that day. I could only have ice chips too. And you'll have leg socks on the inflate and deflate constantly for a few days. And you'll be catheterized. Honestly, the worst part of the first day was not being able to sleep much because the socks keep inflating and the nurses keep coming in. And I had concerned visitors. But the next day, the cath came out and the nurse walked me to the bathroom. Later I started walking up and down the halls myself. Watched lots of TV in the hospital.

One thing I will say is, my best friend and mother flew down to help me. It seemed like the only thing they heard anyone say is that I should walk. So they hounded me to walk a lot! I think they felt like I was making more progress when I was moving about. But I was exhausted! For 2 weeks I didn't get the naps I had heard everyone talk about. When they left, I'd drop the kids off at school and come home and sleep until it was time to pick them up. All the sudden I started feeling so much better!!!

So rest, walk and get more rest. That's my best advice. And I'll see you on the post-op board by the end of this week, and hopefully we'll both be saying what a breeze it was. Good luck!
Unread 12-26-2005, 05:31 PM

i had my tah-kept ovaries on dec 19. the waiting was the hardest part; i almost backed out. but a week after, and i'm okay...as long as i don't stay up too much...just clean the house and make a stack of magazines, books to read, write your family on email. only my husband was here with me; my family 1300 miles away, too. stock up on the meds, sleep through the hospital part; it wasn't too bad at all. spend your nervous energy making chicken soup, and getting your room prepped.
i found just releasing my need for control (over to the doctors, to my husband, to the powers that be) was the hardest, but the best thing to do. good luck...you'll be fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register