Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!! Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 12-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

I have had this cyst on my left ovary since the 5th week after my TAH last May. It has been there for about 6 months now. I have had 2 CA 125's, both negative. My doctor ultrasounded it last in November and said it had grown another centimeter since October, I don't know if that is alot or not. Then he said when are you going to get this thing out? He knew I was trying not to have the surgery or at least until after my daughter gets married in May. I didn't want both ovaries out and go through menopause right away. He said I can keep my right ovary if I wanted too, although his suggestion would be to get both of them out. My surgery is on Thursday and I sit here almost like I am going through the motions and honestly, I don't want to do it. I am concerned that it won't go away and I wouldn't want to end up with cancer. I am just so stressed out over getting ready for Christmas, a wedding and now this until I think it is just an awful time to do it.

Of course family members are saying you need to get that out, quit messing around with it and things like that. I am also tired of hearing why didn't you get them out the first time. Anyone else feeling this way or have any advice for me? I am also feeling extremely down right now.

Also, I have never been told whether it is a simple cyst or complex cyst. He just keeps telling me it looks like it is an ok cyst and nothing bad. I could really use some advice right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Unread 12-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

I don't know if I have advice, but I can relate to the difficulty in making the decision. I had surgery on the 19th for a complex cyst. My doctor really wanted to take both ovaries because my mom had ovarian cancer. I gave it serious thought and changed my mind 5000 times during the two weeks that I waited for my surgery. In the end, I told my doc to only take the right ovary if it had serious problems. (The left one had the cyst and had to go.) I thought she would take it anyway because I have endo, but she surprised me by saying it was healthy enough to stay, even though it does have some endo on it.

You don't say how old you are. For me, if I'd been a little closer to natural menopause or if I had been in pain before the surgery, I probably would have consented to the BSO. As it was, I am 42 and was feeling great before they discovered the cyst in a routine exam, so I made myself really depressed worrying about every possible menopause symptom. I know I won't get to keep the remaining ovary for life, but if I can hang on to it for another five years I will probably have a better attitude when it's time to let it go. (I know there are women here much younger than I am who have dealt with the BSO and done well, though.)

For me it worked out well to leave the decision in my doctor's hands. Your post suggests that maybe communication with your doctor isn't so great, but if you trust his/her professional judgement you might be able to do something like that, too.

Best wishes for finding a solution that works for you.

Geekette
  #3  
Unread 12-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

I, too, have changed my mind a million times. I've called my docs and spoken with all my friends and family. Some say keep it, some say get rid of it. I told my surgeon to do what he thinks should be done. But I've changed my mind again, I'm getting it out. I called my GYN and already have the Vivielle Dot patch here so I can take it to the hospital.

I just don't want to have to worry about cancer there (or anywhere if I could help it). I read somewhere on this site today, that one woman said after speaking to several of her friends who could have had their ovaries out sooner, that most of them felt that they should have to ease their fears.

I know plenty of post-menopausal women with fine bones, fine posture and fine hearts. I just plan to have regular bone scans, eat healthy, exercise and take HRT for a little while and then wean myself off.

Don't know if that helps or not, but I sure know how you feel. It's a real tough decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Unread 12-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

HI Geekette,
I am 44 fixing to turn 45 on January 19th. I have been in a lot of pain when I ovulate since finding the cyst. He said it extends a little into the middle of my stomach and that is why I hurt on my right side too. The majority of my pain is in my lower back. It has been so bad that my general practioner sent me to have an MRI because he thought it was something other than my cyst causing the pain. Turns out my MRI didn't show anything which led him to believe it is muscular and he wants me to do therapy later after my surgery. He did say that my cyst could be bothering me. His nurse also said she bet it was my cyst that is causing my back pain. I posted on here and found that to be true with some others. I have decided to keep my right ovary, I just wish I knew if the cyst is my problem and that when this is over I will feel better. I have been comtemplating calling my doctor and asking him if it is a complex or simple cyst. Also, he did say that ovarian cancer is so hard to detect and that those tests are not always accurate. Thanks for your response.
  #5  
Unread 12-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

I had a TAH in January and I opted to keep my ovaries. The in June, a CT scan for what I thought was an appendicitis revealed a cyst on my right ovary. We watch the cyst change from simpe to complex with multiple septations. In November, I had a RSO and lysis of dense adhesions by laparotomy because I couldn't stand the pain in my lower back and right lower abdominal area any longer. I again opted to keep my left ovary (even though my Dr removed a cyst off of it during the surgery) because of my family history with osteoporsis, and my fear of menopause. Everyone that I knew asked why I didn't just let her take out both ovaries with the last surgery. I'm tired of explaining my decision to others when it is none of their business what I do with my own body !!!
I am now watching a complex cyst on the left ovary that developed 3 weeks after my RSO. At first I questioned my decision, but now I realize that I made my decision in November based on the fact that my left ovary never gave me any problems in the past. So I stopped beating myself up about what was done. I can say that the left ovary is working fine and that I have not had any menopause symptoms at all. I have my 6 week post op visit tomorrow.
I know it is a tough decision as to what to do but the decision is all yours. Don't let anyone force you into doing something you may regret.
s and best wishes with your upcoming surgery.
Nancy
  #6  
Unread 12-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

Cheryl:

Have you had more than one physician's opinion? If this is not an emergency, you have time to get more information and feel good about your decision.

Many of us have had well intentioned people tell us things like "get it over with" and "quit messing around with it". Easy for them to say.

I will tell you that I am 38 (39 in January) and just had my BSO. I can not believe how fantastic I feel. I am truly blessed. I had no idea how sick my ovaries were making me. That's me and how things worked out for me.

Let us know how we can best support you. We do care.

  #7  
Unread 12-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Shay

Hi yes a second opinion is good. How Big is it???? There is a 2cm "gray area" on vag ultra sound or margin of error even though getting down to the cm sounds so technical it isn't exact.

I had a 8 cm last Dec and now it grew 16 by 18 was fluid and now complex. I found that out in Nov and my doc just wants to have it out in Jan. I'm not worried about cancer as its so rare. Less then 1% and the majority of that one percent you have to be way older then me to get ovc.

I had gone to two ovc they both had different opinions. Now that it grew fast and large I'm not even being refferd to a onc (I swithed ins and have a top hospital now, not a HMO).

SO I'll be thinking of you so let us know! Can they do it laporscopic???
  #8  
Unread 12-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

Thanks for all the responses! He is planning to do it laproscopically. I think he said it was 5.2 centimeters. Is that a big cyst? I want to stop hurting so much and if I knew for sure this is what is causing me the pain, I would feel better. I just didn't like having it done this time of year. I just hated the thought of going back for more surgery so soon. It seems quite common from reading the posts on here. I do feel like a lot of how I feel is related to the ovary.
No, I haven't gotten another opinion, it is probably too late now.
Also, I wouldn't want it to keep growing and feel worse and have to get it out too close to my daughter's wedding in May. I am out of school right now until January the 4th and hopefully won't have to miss too many days.
  #9  
Unread 12-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

Hi. You are definitely not alone. I had TVH in July. November comes and they discover a complex cyst on my left ovary. After watching it for a month, it tripled in size. Dr. advises removal. Remove both? Up to me. I opted for both. I just couldn't face yet another surgery and my odds hadn't been holding up too well. I had an abdominal incision on Dec. 21, 11 staples held me together. No cath. Went home on 22nd. Up and around immediately. My daughter (age 14) actually removed the staples on Christmas Day after receiving instructions from the dr. I am still a little sore but doing great. No hormones yet. No symptoms yet. I go for a followup appt. tomorrow. Guess I will begin hormones then. I don't regret my decision at all but it's definitely a personal choice. You have to do what you can live with and what makes you happy. Good luck to you. God bless.
  #10  
Unread 12-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Surgery on Dec. 29th, unsure of decision and really could use some help!!

I had a TVH in June, 2004. This year, I have had problems with cysts. I ended up in the ER thinking I had appendicitis, but it turned out to be a cyst that was rupturing. Later this year, on an unrelated CT scan, a pelvic mass was detected on the left side. This was followed with 2 pelvic and transvaginal ultrasounds. The first ultrasound said there was a complex cyst on the left ovary. The second ultrasound said there was now a solid mass on the left ovary. At that point my doctor and I decided it was time to get it out, even though it was still very small (1.7 cm). I had a vertical incision in case it was malignant. Turned out to be a hemorrhagic cyst. The solid matter that showed up on the ultrasound was a blood clot. The other ovary also had a hemorrhagic cyst on it. Both ovaries and tubes were removed. I am glad I no longer have to worry about ovarian cancer. It is a huge relief!

Surgical menopause hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be (I am 43). I cannot take estrogen, so I just have to tough it out. I do have hot flashes, but they really aren't that annoying.

Even though I am only 2 weeks into recovery, it really hasn't been too bad or too painful. I have been pleasantly surprised.

Good luck with your surgery. It is a hard decision. For me, I'm just glad the worry is over.
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
5 Replies, Last Reply 04-08-2008, Started By hysterhelp42
5 Replies, Last Reply 12-22-2005, Started By Starlight7
2 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
3 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
7 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
2 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
8 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
2 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
10 Replies, Cancer Concerns - GYN
11 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
15 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
3 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

December 4,2021

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  



Advertisement


Advertisement