I am really scared... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am really scared... I am really scared...

Unread 12-26-2005, 04:09 PM
I am really scared...

I am scheduled to have TAH on Jan 3rd. In the beginning I was quite fine with all of this, but now I am really starting to get scared! I am 33, and have had my child and am perfectly happy with him. I had a TL 3 years ago so my child bearing is definitely over. I have my lab work tomorrow already and I am just getting sick to my stomach about this. I am not normally like this, really. I do get a bit stressed (OK, alot stressed) over some things. I am babbling...I need reassurance. Can't talk to my husband as he just has NO idea about any of this. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2005, 05:06 PM
I am really scared...

I think the waiting is the hardest. There is so much time for you to think and to get nervous. Try to keep busy. There's so much to prepare for, cleaning your house maybe making and freezing a few meals so your family won't have to cook for a few days when you get home, getting together your bag for the hospital, finding some movies or magazines to keep you from getting bored during your recuperation. Amazingly I wasn't nervous at all for my hyst but when I was scheduled for my second prolapse repair I was so nervous that I had an anxiety attack. I had chest pain, shortness of breath and cried most of the day before the surgery. I can understand you being nervous but just keep thinking of how much better you'll feel after. Good luck, try to stay calm and if I can help you in any way please let me know.
Michelle
Unread 12-26-2005, 05:30 PM
I am really scared...

As Candy said, staying busy is a must. Try to find comfort in the fact that this is one of the most common surgeries there is. Every last one of us goes through the same fears and worries that you are experiencing now, and we look back and wonder why we were so scared. Look forward to the fact that afterward there will be no more "Aunt Flo!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2005, 05:33 PM
I am really scared...

Hi!

I can certainly understand how you are feeling! Waiting for your day to arrive can be very stressful and leaving you feeling very anxious and scared. I think my biggest fear was of the unknown. Since I had never had surgery before, I didn't quite know what to expect.

You might find these articles helpful:

Coping with Pre-Op Anxiety and Fear

My Husband Doesn't Understand There is a link to Mister Hyster Sisters there, too.

FAQ for Family & Friends

Freaking Out Pre-Op

Relaxation Suggestions

For more great articles and resources to help you prepare, you can click here. Don't forget to read through Checkpoints.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!

s and , Deb
Unread 12-27-2005, 06:48 AM
I am really scared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCat1234
I am scheduled to have TAH on Jan 3rd. In the beginning I was quite fine with all of this, but now I am really starting to get scared! I am 33, and have had my child and am perfectly happy with him. I had a TL 3 years ago so my child bearing is definitely over. I have my lab work tomorrow already and I am just getting sick to my stomach about this. I am not normally like this, really. I do get a bit stressed (OK, alot stressed) over some things. I am babbling...I need reassurance. Can't talk to my husband as he just has NO idea about any of this. Help?
If the surgery scares you, ask them to give you "something" to take the edge off while you wait. It makes a world of difference. It helped me, and trust me, nobody is as hyper as I am! I breezed right through it! Good luck!
Unread 12-27-2005, 09:05 PM
I am really scared...

Oh my, I started crying just reading this thread. Although I tend to err on the bright side of things, I am getting pretty freaked out already and I have a month to go. I'm not really comfortable talking to a lot of people about this (almost all of my close friends are men) I feel the need for someone to go through this with me. I really hate it when people say not to worry when they have no idea what I'm going through right now. I'm not upset about the no pregnancy thing since I had a TL about 14 years ago, but this carcinoma in situ thing is creepy. I feel like I want to rip my insides out. My Dr is so great, she talks very plainly and is comforting without talking down to me. I'll be thinking about you on the 3rd KCat.... and probably every day until then. Good luck!
Unread 12-27-2005, 09:28 PM
I am really scared...

I just had surgery last week and would highly recommend reading and listening to the CD of Preparing for Surgery, Heal Faster by Peggy Huddleston. It made all the difference in the world for me. I felt more in control and truly believe it helped. Best wishes!
Unread 12-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Thank you

I very, very much appreciate the thoughts and advice! I am going to look for the CD mentioned. I went to my labwork up appointment yesterday, and received the wonderful, wonderful "bowel prep kit". I hate to say this but I would rather go through the surgery than a "bowel cleansing". I had a colonoscopy done in March of this year and had to do it, and let me just say it was no picnic. Ah, well this too will pass. Thank you again for the support. My husband has no clue about any of this so it helps to have others to talk to.
Kellie
Unread 12-28-2005, 08:49 AM
I am really scared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangibleang
Oh my, I started crying just reading this thread. Although I tend to err on the bright side of things, I am getting pretty freaked out already and I have a month to go. I'm not really comfortable talking to a lot of people about this (almost all of my close friends are men) I feel the need for someone to go through this with me. I really hate it when people say not to worry when they have no idea what I'm going through right now. I'm not upset about the no pregnancy thing since I had a TL about 14 years ago, but this carcinoma in situ thing is creepy. I feel like I want to rip my insides out. My Dr is so great, she talks very plainly and is comforting without talking down to me. I'll be thinking about you on the 3rd KCat.... and probably every day until then. Good luck!
I will be thinking of you as well on your "special day". I will let you know how things go for me. Kellie
Unread 12-28-2005, 08:53 AM
I am really scared...

Good luck with it. It will be over before you know it, it was for me anyway! Remember to take your painpills every 4-6 hours when you are out of the hospital. That will help you a lot.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register