Death During Op - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Death During Op Death During Op

Unread 12-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Death During Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBrown
I'm a surgical tech I have seen more things in the OR than you would believe. Death is one of those things but it's not always the surgery or the anesthesia. All patient must go in the OR with faith and a good attitude. I believe in the power of self healing, we must always think that things will be ok in the OR no bad thoughts. I had my surgery and I knew I would wake up and be fine, as much as I know about the OR I should have been afraid but I was not. Ladies believe and have faith death has a date for all of us when it's our time it will happen and not before.
I totally agree! Your attitude can "make" or "break" ANY situation! You cannot do anything about FATE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Death During Op

djwith,

There is so much information available to us these days--we have books, medical journals, pamphlets, videos, the internet, etc. So we should use any and all of it we can in order to educate ourselves before any procedure, to ensure we know the ins and outs, the good and the bad. Unfortunately, death is a risk of surgery and it sounds like you found the really scary articles about it.

I believe a good attitude is helpful before and after a surgical procedure, but it is not a guarantee for a problematic free surgery. I had a good attitude--my dr even commentted on it--but I still ended up with extended hospital stay and about a 6 month recovery.

Do be positive but also informed. You need to be knowledgable about the risks involved and the fact that a hyst does not necessarily cure all--it didn't for me. I am happy I had my hyst, it was the right decision for me. But I knew the pros and cons, and that yes, any time you have surgery, death is a possibility, and I signed that I knew that was a risk. Not usually a high chance, but still a chance none the less. I was prepared if that was the outcome. Obviously, that was not my outcome, as I am still here.

Having a hyst is a huge decision involving a lot of emotion. Here at the site, you will find support from all different perspectives, backgrounds and circumstances. There are ladies who breeze through surgery, some who have comlications, others who have continued problems. Some ladies have more options and alternatives than others. I hope you are able to find support and information that will help you make the right decision for your life and your circumstances. Best wishes to you for your journey.
Unread 12-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Death During Op

Very well said WEISER!!!!!

Oh, Anna! I love your new avatar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Death During Op

wow i can totally understand what you are going thru ...i was so scared i cancelled my first schedulled surgery on the operating table worked myself up a week before it so bad that i had a panic attack right on the operating table( i never had a panic attack b4 in my life) and cancelled right then and there...everyone in the OR was shocked...but my DR was so comforting and said dont worry about i went to him in 2 weeks on his request and he scheduled it a week later the same thing happened i worked myself up so bad again that when i went to my pre-op a day before my next scheduled surgery i was on the bus and had a painc attack the day of my surgery right before they brought me into what i call the holding area i begged my husband to bring me home i wanted to cancel again he refused and while waiting to go into the OR i was getting anxiety sitting up rocking back and forth like a basket case when i got into the OR all i remembered was the nurse asking me about my tattoo on my leg when i got on the operating table and thats the last i remembered i didnt even remember the recovery room all i remember was going to my room and i was so relieved it was over but 2 weeks after i got home i went with my hubby to his mothers house and had another panic attack on the way there in the car...then had another one 2 weeks after that in the car again i went to the DR cause i had to go to a funeral and was scared to have one again they had to give me a shot to calm my nerves the DR told me that the surgery really traumatized me ...since then im going on seven weeks since my surgery i havent had another attack (thank u lord) went in the car several times and nothing happened ...so what im trying to tell you is not to scare u but i can totally understand how u feel dont work yourself up and i know thats easier said than done u will be fine perhaps u can ask your DR to give u something to relax u so u dont go thru what i went thru i asked for soemthing but they gave it to me as soon as i got into the OR they can give it to u before u go in also or even the day before and for that day ask your DR...my prayers are with u and dont worry u will be glad u did like i have ...good luck !! HUGGGGGGGGS
Unread 12-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Death During Op

Ronda,
I wanted to say Thank You for the kind words and prayers . I was having a bad day today emotional, pain, , ya know how it goes somedays this soon in recovery. When I received your post, my spirits were lifted :smilie5:, always helps to know others are praying for you. Wanted to let you know that today you were my .

God Bless & 's
Lori
Unread 12-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Death During Op

My doctor made me feel better by saying 2 things "the benefits outweigh the risks" and "I'll guarantee you'll be happy you made this choice after you've recovered".

I know he can't really "guarantee" anything (he sure isn't going to put it all back in ), but he is a doctor I've developed a lot of trust in, is very gentle and kind, and he hates to see people suffer. He has an awsome reputation as a gyn and surgeon.

If you have any specific medical history, yours or in your family, make sure that your medical team knows about it. Do what you can to be in the best shape before, and try to focus on how great you'll feel after the recovery period. Putting your focus on what you can change does help. I'll that all goes well, and that you have an easy recovery.

I was very worried about several things - family history of blood clots, I'm very overweight, 4 previous abdominal surgeries, and once I woke up too early after surgery, and the pain was incredible. I went to Curves every day I could before the surgery, and worked at not gaining more weight. The surgical team was wonderful - put a pillow under my knees (my request) to minimize stress on my back, used extra monitoring to ensure I was all the way out, extra precautions to avoid blood clots, and everything went very well.
Unread 01-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Death During Op

thank you so much for being abit more positive.
Unread 01-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Death During Op

Thankyou all so much for your kind comforting comments.God bless you all xx
Unread 01-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Death During Op

I would like to thank you all too...I have two weeks to go and I don't know how I am going to make it. I don't want to go to work anymore. I have a very stressful job and it's taking everything I have to get up and go each day.

Thank you for all your support.
Unread 01-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Death During Op

I am baaaack after surgery, and still here. Yes, I thought about it. And no one really seemed to want to talk about it. I am so glad we are right here!! I counted my blessings more than tried to bargain with God, right up to the "last moments," which ARE kind of freaky!! But I am coming along well, and feeling WAY better than I thought I would, Day 5. And I need no lectures to take it easy. I am happy for the excuse for "laziness," and I know for now, getting myself a bowl of Cheerios is just fine as a morning activity.

Back to death though...hehe...it was weighing on my mind quite a bit that a friend of mine in his late 40's had recently had gall bladder surgery, got through that and keeled over from a massive heart attack weeks later. Not totally a shocker, he kind of was the heart attack waiting to happen type, but still. I could have went in surgery, could go right now sitting in my easy chair, could go next week or in 50 years. I guess it isn't going to make one bit of difference, is it? I am going to go either way, and none of us are getting out of it alive. I am just glad that for now, His purpose for me being here is not quite over.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register