Explaining to my 3 yr old? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Explaining to my 3 yr old? Explaining to my 3 yr old?

Unread 12-28-2005, 04:59 AM
Explaining to my 3 yr old?

Hi, I am new here. Quick question:
I am nervous and unsure of how to describe the surgery to my daughter. She is 3 yrs old. I am her favorite toy...she climbs all over me. I will be unable to carry her and do for her for weeks. I have a great support system but I am the only one to bath, feed and climb around on the floor. Like all moms, my first concern is my daughter and not myself...I just dont want her to be tramatized. I know we will get through it...I would obviously just like it to be as smooth as possible. Any advice?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2005, 05:58 AM

I had surgery when my kids were 3 n 6. They were awesome once a showed them I had a booboo, and they couldn't touch my tummy for awhile. We found other ways to snuggle, they loved getting into bed with me and watching movies and reading.
They are 5 n8 now and I will have to have hyst. now. I don't let anyone take care of them often, so it will be hard on them to not be able to do much, like getting rides to their youth group and scouts. My husband is great, but often works late.
Don't get to detailed with her about your opt. but let her help you. She would probably love to grab bottled water from the fridge and snacks for you. You could make it an adventure. Tea parties would be great too, as long as you don't get on the floor. You could get a weeks worth of clothes set out for her too and she could be a big girl and pick the right day.
I know this must be scarey for you, I love my kids but this is going to be a good thing for them because mom won't be sick for 2 weeks a month anymore, and hopefully not as grouchy!! I've been really moody and its caused them a lot of heartache.
Please take care of yourself, don't do anything that could land you back in the castle, the outcome will be worth it, and you can look forward to spring and summer.
prayers for a speedy healthy recovery

ps a table to sit on you lap for puzzles and coloring with each other is great too.
Unread 12-28-2005, 07:24 AM

I am sure, like wikkedlee above says, she will probably more helpful than you think......it is amazing to me how helpful and understanding a small child can be when you are under the weather. My dd has been very helpful when I have been sick on other occasions, so I think she will be helpful when I have my TAH on Jan. 12th. She has already asked me to show her how to do the laundry!!!!! (She is 8) I let her know that dd will probably do the laundry, but she can help Mommy with all the other household chores for sure!!!!!
I too look forward to not being so moody and unhappy and can be more fun for my family than I am now!!!!!!!!!
Best wishes to you, and I am sure your family will be great!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2005, 08:09 AM

I agree with the others. Young children are very understanding when mommy isn't feeling well.

Have a special pile of age appropriate games and toys and books for you to play with her in your bed. You could find special "chores" to help mommy out as well. Dusting was always a favorite for my son.

Have a stash of those mini boxes of cereal located where she can reach them. Tell her that these are for "snack time" and then have her go get ONE box and bring it to you to share for a picnic in bed.

Use your imagination, you will come up with plenty of ideas to keep her entertained.

Hugs and good luck!
Unread 12-28-2005, 08:39 AM

My ds was just turning 4 after my surgery.

I explained I'd have an "owie" and that he had to be very careful around my tummy for a while.

I got him a special new construction site toy (he was really into construction sets at the time) for him to play with in my recovery room after I got home. He thought that was really cool!

For the first few weeks, if you are the only one to bathe the child, you may have to go with a wipe-down with a washcloth for a while. It can be done and it can be turned into a game! Just have the child climb up on the counter (just stress it's for this only, and only when Mom says it's OK) and sit there while you wash her, after filling up the sink. Might take a while..... but that's OK, too. That way you're not lifting anything.

to you.
Unread 12-28-2005, 08:50 AM

My dd was 3 when I had my hyst and she was very good with the "mommy's tummy is off limits". I had no external scars, but I told her that my tummy has owies inside of it and she was very understanding. She could still sit with me and play. We played with Barbies & her dolls. She drew me tons of pictures & even learned how to spell her name & mine (mom). It's a tough time for the little ones, but for some reason they understand. As for bathing, could your dh do it or maybe a friend or relative? I am such a bath nut with my children and I can't let them go more than 2 days without a bath. My dh was very good and helped in that area. I was amazed though, since he hadn't given our dd a bath her whole life! They WILL surprise you when you least expect it! Good luck & remember that we are all sisters & in this together! Meri
Unread 12-28-2005, 10:36 AM

Hi!
I know what you mean. My son is 3 and he thinks he is a human cannon-baller! LOL He likes to jump and climb like all 3 yr olds.
I was worried how he would do w/out me home. He did fine. He came to visit me and saw my boo boo belly. I am now 3 wks post-op and he has been really great. He gives me his blankie at night (he doesn't let anyone touch blankie) and asks me if I want a bottle of water.
You may be surprised how much your daughter understands, after all you are her Mom, and I believe little ones have good senses.
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM

My dd was just 10 days away from turning 4 when I had my TAH, she had alot of fun through my recovery. I bought 2 bed trays for us to do all sorts of puzzles and games (Crayola mess free is God sent), we would have meals together in bed, she thought is was just great. I bought her a Dr.'s kit so she had alot of fun taking care of me, taking my temp,putting on band aids, pretend shots, ect.. As soon as I came home I showed her my boo boo and she knew to be very careful with mommy.
Plan on letting her use a stepstool alot, lifting her will be a no no. Water free antibacterial wash is great for hand washes. Try and get her use to taking showers that way you won't have to bend over the bath tub. She might even like it if daddy puts on a bathing suit and goes in the shower with her, that what my hubby had to do a couple times.
She will probably want to nuture you and play mommy to you. Let her get you bottles of water or a bowl of fruit. Just little tasks will make her feel like she is such a big girl and mommy's big helper.

Good luck with everything!!!
Unread 12-28-2005, 05:51 PM

My DS were 3 and 5 when I had my hyst. The youngest actually asked more questions than the oldest, and we gave him more information because of it. When he doesn't understand something, it really stressful for him so we explained a bit about what was happening until he was satisfied and then he was fine. Being allowed to help take care of mom helped both boys. I had them sit close, but very carefully and that helped as well. Best wishes to you and your family.
Unread 12-29-2005, 06:29 AM

I got a flash back about tanners suggestion to letting daddy where swim trunks and help her in the shower. My husband and I always took our kids in the shower with us until they were 3 or so. He always wore his shorts, then handed the kids back out for me to dry off. When my DD turned four she walked in the bathroom on him and came running back out and said "mommy daddys gross, he was taking a shower naked." We still laugh about it till this day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register