What to do when your Boss doesn't understand???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do when your Boss doesn't understand???? What to do when your Boss doesn't understand????

Unread 12-28-2005, 07:04 AM
What to do when your Boss doesn't understand????

My LAVH is scheduled for January 3rd and I have advised my boss of 20 years that I will be off the month of January. I do most everything in our small office including accounting, all office work, payroll, etc. etc. etc. (my boss only knows how to get on AOL and get his email...anything else on the computer is "greek" to him). He is panicking and I am panicking. I know there are some things I can do from home. Any ideas on how long it will be before I will feel like tackling a few computer jobs at home???

To top it all off, my boss just does not understand that this is major surgery and continues to ask me to give him a definate time frame of how long I will be off work...this makes me feel guilty!

Any ideas on how I make him understand that I will be back when I get back???

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2005, 07:14 AM

Wow, isn't it scary how people don't realize how valuable you are until you are not around???!!!!! I don't have any answers for you, but I sure send you hugs and wishes for a speedy recovery........but, from what I have read on this site, don't push yourself until you are ready!!!!!
Unread 12-28-2005, 07:53 AM

I would assume your employer is aware of the leave of absence laws run by each State? I believe an employer has to allow you the amount of time off without concern for your job, up to 8 weeks. I would advise your doctor that the employer is asking for a time frame of when to expect your return. He will most likely write down an estimated time of 6 to 8 weeks. But should also include in the note that it could be longer if there are issues that come up. And worrying about being able to do work at home when you are on leave of absence shouldn't even be an issue? I experienced a similar issue when I went on maternity leave years ago. The employer didn't want anyone else to know my job (worked for DoD) so I had to train someone in a matter of two days... needless to say, most don't appreciate us, until we have to be gone for awhile. DO NOT feel guilty! You need to take this time to focus on keeping positive and healthy for your own good! Remember, you are #1 right now. And life does go on while you are recovering! I am laughing at myself right now, because I can be such a control freak. My home is my life, and I usually have everything in tip top shape. Currently my 4 kids and hubby have the controls, and at this point I don't seem to care. Get what you can get done at home and at work, then spend a couple days relaxing and contemplating quietly... the less stress the better! You might offer your boss an alternative, by hiring a temp girl for your position until you return. Something like Kelly services....

Hugs,
Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2005, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will heed the advice and "try" not to worry about it! I am a control freak too so it will be hard.
Unread 12-28-2005, 12:25 PM

Hi!

Any chance you can bring your temporary replacement in to train a little bit right now? Maybe if there were a few "essential" things that person could learn to do to help with the day to day things you can't do -- then you can worry about the bigger computer projects later. I'm feeling good enough at week 1 and a half to sit/lie with my laptop and do computer things.

Just an idea!
Unread 12-28-2005, 01:01 PM

Something I found on this site while trying to find info on post op issues. Info on the family leave act, not sure if it would apply with you Dawn? But something to look into. I was thinking about you this afternoon, and wondering why your boss hasn't gotten you a temp girl to train with you, since your surgery date is so close? I know with the holidays, things can get crazy but heck he does have some sense of how to handle office issues, like illnesses and absent employees?
One thing I found helpful for me, but drove my family crazy was making notes of everything I needed to do a few days before surgery. I managed to get everything done except finish painting my kitchen, and sewing curtains. LOL and I could care less if these two chores ever get finished any time soon.
Like Shelly, my surgery was 12/19, and I am just starting to feel strong enough to sit at the computer for 10 mins at a time. Then back to the couch...
Liz

Family leave article:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_232449.htm
Unread 12-28-2005, 03:07 PM

Dawn, I feel your pain. We all seem to be control freaks don't we... but when the boss doesn't understand on top of it that is even worse. I am sure that the FMLA must apply. Check websites for your state or call the state offices. I'm lucky and everyone where I work is very supportive but the paperwork involved is daunting. I will begin training my temp replacement by the 17th at the latest. My is worried that won't be enough time but it seems to be the best we can do. I will not even be answering phone calls from work numbers for the first two weeks. Gotta love caller ID!! I waffle between fear that my temp will be better than me (whatever, I'm amazing) and coming back to a complete disaster. Good luck and let your fingers do the walking....
Unread 12-28-2005, 03:36 PM

Hi Dawn,
I think Shelly has a great idea. Places like Manpower and Kelley services have people who are qualified and easy to train. When I was off (which ended up being 10 weeks), they had to get a temp for my job. The temp services are inexpensive...well, they are cheaper than your poor boss trying to figure out everything he needs to do.

Good luck and happy healing!
Unread 12-28-2005, 03:38 PM

Dawn:
I had my TAH on Dec 19, and have been on computer and lucid enough to work from home (but haven't had to) this week. I wouldn't do it unless i had to, though, and certainly only for a few hours a day. I'd tell him that you'd be out at the minimum for three weeks, and perhaps more dependent on your doctor's assessment. I'm a workaholic, and plan to go back Jan 9 just part-time, depending on what my dr. says next week, and doing that in the afternoon to avoid being sucked into staying, which I know I'd be prey to.
Good luck, but as you know, having a planned hysterectomy is better than just dropping dead. At least you & your boss can develop the plan B. The company & you & your boss will be better for it.
Good luck.
Unread 12-28-2005, 03:39 PM

Hi! The Family Medical Leave Act only applies if your employer has over 50 employees. If they have less than 50 employees (which is what your situation sounds like) then there is no obligation on the part of the employer to grant a given leave time, unless of course your particular state has something which provides for a definite leave.

I wish I had a better answer for you here. Personally, I think you're pushing it to even say you'd be back at the beginning of February. I stayed off a full six weeks from my (management) desk job, and I really should have taken eight weeks....

I assume you gave your boss some warning for this absence, so I'm a little surprised that he hasn't made any arrangements to getting stuff done while you're gone. He should be able to go to a temp agency and at least get someone who can answer phones and do basic accounting (payables, receivables, etc.) for several weeks while you're gone.

I would say that you need to be "uninterrupted" for at least two weeks post-op. After that, you might want to allow one phone call a day to start (if it's OK with you, of course).... but only if you're up to it. Your boss may be surprised at how much he really can do.

If all else fails, though -- he'll get done what absolutely needs to get done (like payroll), and whatever doesn't get done will wait!

Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register