What to do when your Boss doesn't understand???? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do when your Boss doesn't understand???? What to do when your Boss doesn't understand????

Unread 12-30-2005, 03:24 AM
What to do when your Boss doesn't understand????

Sounds like a lot of these bosses are men, wonder how long they would be off if they were having MALE surgery, it sure wouldn't be 2 weeks more like 2-3 months. Take your time recover well, you deserve it. Good Luck on your big day.
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2005, 07:10 AM

Wow, this sounds like me... I work for two museums and I do all the paperwork and take complete control over the POS system for our 4 gift shops. I knew for months about my surgery and informed my boss way in advance about my up coming surgery. When the time came he actually freaked out and needless to say, I agreed upon going back to work, out of my home, after two weeks. I felt pretty good after the first week home that I started working then (they actually have me set up so I can access my work pc here at home). He did not care how many hours I spent working as long as I worked. They paid me for 40 hours. I thought I was geting a good deal. WRONG!!! I received too many calls from work. Often I would have my daughter tell them I was resting... But here is my real problem. Although I did not sit at my computer for any length of time at one period, I still managed to somehow bulge a disc. I woke up three days ago and could not get ou tof bed. The pain was so bad, it was in my legs, butt, and lower back. My DH took me to the ER where after loads of meds they admitted me. Tests showed the buldged disc was pushing on the siacic nerve and I found out I have arthritic in my back which never bothered me until now, because that decided to flare up too. I am finally home but I can not sit in a chair. I can only lay down and stand. I am on alot of pain pills (figure I will have to go to detox when I finally heal) LOL!!! I am typing this standing up. I need to go for physical therapy and guess what.. I will be out of work longer...So the moral of my story is- Just take it easy and do not stess about the work. It will still be there when you get back.

Lori
PS Don't spend a lot of time sitting. Walk and lay flat.
Unread 12-30-2005, 09:53 PM

Thanks darend! I have 4 or 5 people that work for me/with me who are great and are offering all their help and support. I will have most things taken care of and other things I have delegated. I can check my e-mail from home and direct anything to one of them if it is urgent so I'm not too worried about that. I was pretty stressed today, but I think I will have it under control next week. Been trying to talk to my boss directly, but between the holidays and vacations it's been tough. He's been copied in all correspondence to HR and I will probably discuss how I have handled the time away with him next week. After 22 years and how I've always handled things during my H's heart problems and surgeries he knows I will have it all taken care of. We are not in the same office or state for that matter so it's pretty much up to me. The closer to my surgery the more I get scared so my job seems to be definitely secondary most of the time now. I am like you and in control, pretty independent always doing things for myself and I don't want things to fall through the cracks, but I know it will all be there waiting for me when I get back. I won't be too far away if they need to drop me an e-mail, but I have no plans to try and work much from home. I want to try and "be good" so that I can recover and be able to do all the things that I enjoy doing without any set backs. I'm looking forward to spring and getting out in my roses, but I know to enjoy it I have to take care of myself. It will be tough, but I know I have to do it for me.

jon1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks

I had my surgery on 1/3 and went to my mom's for TLC for a week. I am back home today. Told my hubby that the house had to be cleaned up before I would come home. He tried so I came home (notice I did not say that he succeeded, but that is another story).

I had my LAVH and they left my ovaries. I was in the hospital on 1/3 and then until around 7:00 pm the next day.

I have been feeling pretty good ever since I left the hospital. I find that I tire easily and I am being very good about not doing anything strenuous.

I told the office the day before I went in that I would not take any questions about work until I had been home for at least a week. They have only called once and it was simply to check on me and see how I was doing!

I am still stressing about things going on but realize now that it is not my problem while I am not there. I will check my work email each day and do what I can with those but I am not ready to do a lot.

Thanks for all your postings! It is good to know that there are others out there in a very similar situation.

Dawn
Unread 01-11-2006, 01:14 PM

Hi!
How did your LAH go? I am trying to get that procedure for my surgery. My boss has been wonderful about my situation and has already gotten approval for a temp while I'm out....now will it be 2 or 6 weeks???? I really don't want a TAH and hope I can go the minimally invasive route.
Unread 01-11-2006, 01:17 PM

Dawn!
I just read your post and see your LAH went well. Can you tell me more about it??? I have appointments with two doctors in the next 10 days and I want to be informed before I meet them. What was your condition for the surgery? Are you overweight or have any other medical problems?
Unread 01-11-2006, 02:08 PM

Please don't rush your recovery just to please yet another man!! I would plan on taking until the middle of Feb. at least! You may physically be able to sit at the computer after a week but your "brain fog" may not allow you to really do the work you want to do. I teach school so I really feel bad about leaving my "kids" with someone new but I finally just had to quit worrying about them and worry about me! It did get easier once I was fully away from them. My principal was wonderful (a man) and said that what ever I needed to do for my health was to be my #1 priority and he would never question my decisions. Just do what is best for you-- remind your boss that if you come back too soon you could encounter side effects that would effect your work later on down the road. Good luck!
Unread 01-11-2006, 03:20 PM

Had to reply back to you. I left the office with a similar saying. I can check e-mail from home until I get my lap top back. It was making terrible noises this past two weeks. I overdid it the last day I was at the office. I did speak to my boss and he doesn't want me to come back too fast. I had my surgery 1/9 and came home yesterday 1/10. I've been feeling real good until the pain medication I came home with made me feel so nauseated. I have stopped taking it and have started taking ibruprofren and I feel much better. I do not feel like checking e-mail from work, but will in the next few days only to delegate on. I can handle some of the other stuff when it's really due at the end of the month. Keep feeling better. Don't overdue it! I am going to go and lay down now! Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register