Also 6 days to go | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Also 6 days to go Also 6 days to go

Unread 12-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Also 6 days to go

Uggh and how I wish it was over. I had a myomectomy for large fibroids in 1996 when I was 29. I had a choice then to have a hysterctomy and wished I did so I wouldnt be going through surgery again. During a routine pap Oct 2004 the doctor said there were two tiny fibroid but nothing to worry about then. It was hard to believe that only 6 yrs later they were back already. Well seemed like right after that they started to grow. I had no insurance so I had to wait till April when I kicked in with the temp agency. By that time they'd grown fairly large and I had to go up a size in pants. I felt pretty uncomfortable but didnt have the pain nor heavy bleeding I had with the first bout of fibroids. An ultra sound showed there were many fibroids with two being the size of softballs. I learned about UFI and I was set up to have that done in June 2005. I had to have an MRI so they could have a better look at them and to make sure I didnt have any pendunctulated fibroids. Five days prior to my UFI the Radilogist calls me in for a talk before the surgery. While waiting the nurse sets me up for bloodwork and has me sign papers and I see my wristlet for the hospital. After 30 minutes of waiting the doctor finally comes in and says he was sorry for the delay but he wanted to find my MRI results so he could show me. He then informed me VERY coldly that unforuntately I wasnt a good candidate for the UFI because I had two pendunculated fibroids on each side of my uterus. Talk about a let down....i cried as I drove home because I knew major surgery was my only option. I was pretty mad at that doctor to say the least for not informing me 2 wks prior of my condition when he first found out.

My insurance company changed with the temp agency and I was sent to a very nice new OB/GYN who set up my surgery for October. I postponed it till January so I could have pain-free holidays and I went on Lupron like I did in 1999. I am hoping for a speedy recovery because unlike the myomectomy I will have no income while Im out. The temp agency informs me they have no short-term disability. I've been with them a year and this summer did try to get hired where I am and also get another job and nothing came about. I decided my best bet was to stay with the temp agency so I could get this done while I had very good insurance. My main concern is no money coming in the whole time I am off and then I was told this position may be ending the end of January.....perfect timing huh? I was back to work in 5 weeks in 99 and I had a gardening job. This time I have an office job so I hope I can come back soon. If I had pay while I was recovering I'd take the entire 6 wks.

I am scared of the surgery like I was in 1999. I remember it being very hard to wake up from the anethesia and those strange leg pump things. I seem to remember eating on the second day but everything was a bit hazy. I remember not wanting that catheter and waking up one morning at 3am with pain. Apparently the tubing had become crimped . What joy it was to have come out when they did finally remove it. I have an appt with the doctor this afternoon to talk about the procedure and everything else. I just wish this was all over and done with ...I want to be on the other side of recovery!!

I have my wonderful boyfriend to help me through this thankfully. When I had the myomectomy I was married and had my mother-in-law who drove from Indiana to stay with me in PA for a week. She cooked meals for me and was great company. This time I'll be alone most of the day as my boyfriend has to work. I'll have the internet and TV to keep me company during the day and a few friends may stop in .

Im glad I found this site. Its been very helpful to me.

-Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Also 6 days to go

I understand about having to worry about no pay!!!! Thank the big man upstairs, I have a wonderfull boss.....He gives 2 bonuses a year, so I am able to use the money I got in my Xmas bonus to use for the time I will be off!!!! I did talk to ins. co. through work to get short term disability, but I didn't qualify because I just had Endo. Ablasion and Tubal Ligation earlier in the year.........but, like I said, thank goodness for my boss and insurance........I feel bad for those who don't have insurance!!!!!
Best wishes to you on the 3rd, as my surgery is on the 12th!!!!! See you on the other side!!!!!
Unread 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Also 6 days to go

Hi, and to you!

You will find wonderful support here for every step of your journey.

I was very apprehensive about the actual hospital stay and surgery, too. One thing that really helped me was to send my questions (you might ask if your doc or nurse has e-mail for this purpose) in advance so they were all ready for me. That doesn't mean you can't ask more stuff when you're there, but that way if there's special stuff they need to look up for you they can have that much prepared when you get there.

There are some great suggestions you'll find in the Pre-op hints and FYI subforum of this pre-op discussion board. Also, the Hyster Sisters Checkpoints give some fantastic pointers.

You've been through surgery before, so you know all of the rules. Lean on that dbf and your friends -- I'll bet they're just aching to help you through this!

to you as you make your final preparations for your surgery. Make sure you take some time this weekend to do something special just for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Also 6 days to go

Thanks very much for the kind replies. I did think about doing something special this weekend. My doctor appt yesterday went well. My only concern is she said as she told me before since I had a myomectomy before my intestines could be stuck to my uterus. If thats the case the normal 1 hour surgery could take 1.5-2 hrs and she may have to call a general surgeon in if its really a mess in there. I'm hoping I dont have an adhesions because that means a longer hospital stay. Also the Lupron shrunk the fibroids 30% which is better then nothing but I have only been on it 2 months so the effectiveness has another month to go. I just wanted to get my surgery done sooner hence not waiting till 3 months was up. I want to be well by Valentines day .

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement.
Unread 12-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Also 6 days to go

Sorry to hear about your long road to hysterectomy. I hope this will be the answer for you. Have you asked your doctor about skipping general anesthesia? I had a spinal block with IV sedation for my TAH, and I woke up quickly and easily after the surgery. It may not be appropriate for you, depending on what all they need to do at surgery (I had TAH but left the ovaries in place and needed no other sorts of repair), but it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 01-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Also 6 days to go

Thanks. No I didnt know anything about anything but general anethesia. I will ask on Tuesday. Thanks for the info

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register