finally...a straight answer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

finally...a straight answer finally...a straight answer

Unread 12-29-2005, 06:08 AM
finally...a straight answer

I had my appt. yesterday to go over my test results. Its the third time to see my new doc, and she was wonderful. She walked in the room and held my hand and said she had read the results. I have severe adeno, small polyps/cysts, fibroids and endo. She asked if I had done any research and I told her about this site. She was so amazed at all the correct info. I had gotten, and how prepared I was for questions. She told me straight out that I would have to have a TAH, and said I still had an option to keep an ovary, but really didn't suggest it because the endo would continue. They are not sure how much adhesions are there and won't know until they get in there, but will go over everything with the surgeon. Unfortunately the surgeon is on vacation until monday, so I must wait for the date. I'm really okay with it all but the waiting will really tax me out. I was worried about my bladder issues and she reassured me that they have an onocologist on hand during surgery, who I know and respect who could step in and fix any bladder or other problems. This was a relief. I made it very clear how nervous I was about having to go back again. So... do I take a chance with the ovary, and go back in a year or two to have it out, or be done with it all and jump into total menapause?
I went to see my RN afterwards to tell her about the results, she was the one who insisted the docs do something for me and I needed to thank her. She said she had taken a peek at the results already and thought I should not keep the ovary. "Think new you" she said which made me laugh. Docs assured me that they would start me on hormones, smallest dose possible to ensure my bones. I didn't have severe side effects from lupron, except the few days of paranoya, which could have been just me worrying about it so much. She said my moods were caused by the major fluctuations in hormones because of all thats been going on inside.
So,, now all I have to do is sit and wait some more..

Thanks to all of you and your info. It has made this life changing decision so much easier.
Love to all
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2005, 06:23 AM

Good Luck! hope all goes well for you! Cath
Unread 12-29-2005, 06:23 AM

That is frequently a difficult question, and ultimately, whether or not to keep the ovary is a question that only you can find the answer to. My best suggstion is to balance the pros (no HRT, etc.) with the cons (possible endo on that ovary requiring future surgery to remove it, etc), and find the answer that best benefits you the best. Write all of them down in labeled columns, and then take them in and discuss them with your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2005, 06:44 AM

Research and balancing your pros and cons seems like a good way to way to me too. Take your time to decide and try to get ascomfortable as possible with your decision. I didn't have a choice about about mine as I had precancer. I was started on hrt the day after my surgery. We had to do a bit of "tweaking"on the dosage but I'm doing pretty well.

Best wishes, I hope that all goes well for you.

s
Unread 12-29-2005, 11:21 PM

I know a great quote...
"Concentrate on what's important & the answer will reveal itself."
I think it was Roy Disney who said it & it may not be an exact quote.
Whenever I have really difficult problem, when I try to think about the most important part of the problem to me, the concerns fall away & the answer is very easy.
Unread 12-30-2005, 06:31 AM

I didn't have a choice when it comes to the ovaries, I have endo. and it is all over my ovaries and my bladder wall, so my Dr. says she wants to take it all and that is just fine with me......I figure that it is less I will have to worry about in the future!!!!!
Unread 12-30-2005, 06:54 AM

Hi Donna!
I am so happy that you got answers. I remember when I finally got a diagnosis as to what was causing all the pain and lengthy periods, it was such a relief.
It sounds like you have a great Dr. and I would take her advice in regards to keeping your ovary. Especially if the endo is severe.
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 12-30-2005, 08:35 AM

Glad to hear you are being taken care of!!! Yes, the waiting IS the hardest part. Just hang in there and you will have a NEW you and you will be a Princess!! Start reading up on the boards to get ready for your Hyster. Get Gas-X, pamper snacks and foods, magazines, back scratcher, cross word puzzles and such. Have someone stay with you the first night in the hospital to be your advocate. I was SOOOOOOO glad I had someone!
Unread 12-30-2005, 01:36 PM

Glad you have your answers Donna. The next is being patient for your date. Luck on your decision for the ovaries, at least we have the gals here to answer all of our random questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register