Hi, I'm new at this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi, I'm new at this Hi, I'm new at this

Unread 12-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi, I'm new at this

I'm afraid I'm not very good at message boards. I find them a bit confusing. I just found out before the holiday's that my uterus is 3 times the normal size and full of fibroids. It was so big that during the ultra sound, the tech said she couldn't even see the ovaries. Then I had to go in for the biopsy. That was not a very fun thing to do. Due to my weight (I'm obese) and the fact that my cervix is very high, my Dr said I would most likely have an open abdominal type surgery. We haven't talked about whether to keep the ovaries or not yet. I'm 46 and hope to be entering menopause soon anyway, so it probably wouldn't make much difference if they take them. So far the worst part is the waiting. That's why I came here. Looking for people who understand so that I don't drive my family nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi, I'm new at this

Welcome to the board! It is a wonderful source of information. Don't worry you will learn to navigate around here, I did !

I see we are almost neighbors! Just across town from each other, more or less.

Feel free to ask any questions, you should get an answer soon.

Sending a your way!
Unread 12-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi, I'm new at this

Best wishes to you!!!! I am also waiting, mine is on January 12th. I am 35, and they are taking everything ( I have endometriosis ), but I am glad, because with all the pain, moods, etc. I don't think it could be much worse going through surgical menopause!!!!!
I will be thinking of you!!!!! When is your surgery scheduled???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi, I'm new at this

Hi Oceanozzie,

I was a ~fibroid lady~ in pre-op so I can understand what you are going through. Going to the dentist or having my taxes done was more fun then having fibroids sometimes. :wowee:

I can suggest you research **the ovaries**. I was 46 also at the time of my hyst last year and I decided to keep my ovaries since they were healthy and my Dr. let me decide. The ovaries secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair, to name a few.

If you decide to have your ovaries removed, I can suggest you check out ~surgical menopause~ on the HRT - No HRT forum area. After ovaries are removed, it causes menopause - hot flashes, night sweats, etc.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 12-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi, I'm new at this

New at this too..... I have been scheduled for a 1/19 date for an abdominal hysterectomy. I plan on keeping as much as possible! Also have fibroids - ugh. My doctor said my uterus is the size of someone who is 15 weeks pregnant. Keep looking around on this site - lots of info - look at Resources too.

Good luck!
Unread 12-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi, I'm new at this

Hi oceanozzie,
You circumstances sound a lot like mine at my beginning of this long, strange trip.
I also had the large fibroids, hidden ovaries, am obese, and was oh so scared!
Hystersisters was an amazing aide for me...I learned so very much from these boards. I really depended on the advice, encouragement, and simple sisterhood here.
Lean on us all you need!
Unread 12-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi, I'm new at this

I'm 38, Keeping my left Ovary ... not sure about my cervix. Something I need to ask at the pre-op visit.

I had the choice of ablation or hysterectomy. I figured they were going in with a lap to take my right ovary, ablation wasn't a guarantee to stop the other problems, so I'm going for the hyst. I have a complex cyst on my right ovary. I had an endo biopsy that came back neg, my cyst will be evaluated after surgery.

I'm going in for LAVH and oophawhateveritis (ovary removal). I'm still spooked about the whole surgery thing.
Unread 12-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Hi, I'm new at this

Hi Oceanozzie,
I am new to this also. I have to laugh when you all say your uterus is enlarged. When my dr told me I had a very large uterus I was a little taken back. I didn't know that it was caused by my problems when he told me.
I am learning so much from everyones questions and answers.
I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing how you do with your surgery as I'm also have the abdominal type. My surgery isn't until February and I am really looking forward to ending all my monthly pain.
Unread 12-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi, I'm new at this

Ladies in waiting,
I'm 49 TAH (abdominal hyst) BSO (overies removed,cervix & Bladder tack), I was very scared as I have a lot of medical problems. This site is wonderful, I found the best first hand info here just by reading everyones experiances. Use the Checkpoints, read the articules, & you call on us anytime. One of us is usually awake thanks to menapause . Best wishes on your surgeries & recovery in there.
er's & 's
Lori
Unread 12-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

It was great to hear from all of you! Maybe after I talk to the Dr again on the 5th I'll know more about the ovaries. A CT scan I had shows a cyst on my left ovary, but nothing has really been able to see the right ovary yet. We may not know until we go in. Did anyone out there have a C-Section? I had one with a vertical cut 25 years ago. Curious as to if this will be similar? Did anyone out there lose weight after the surgery? I'm afraid it will go the other way and I'll gain. I'm already morbidly obese and don't want to get any bigger. I just hope I get this over with as soon as possible and don't have to wait months like some of you. Thanks again for all your responses!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register