Swelly belly with LAVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly belly with LAVH? Swelly belly with LAVH?

Unread 12-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

I hope I didn't get that accronym wrong.

What I want to know is, do you get a swelly belly just when they make an incision on the outside, or can you suffer from swelly belly when you have a hysterectomy that is performed vaginally also?

I mean, it's all surgery, right? So, I'm guessing that I should expect swelly belly. I just don't know for sure, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

From what I have read on this site, a hysterectomy patient is subject to "swelly belly" no matter how the surgery is performed.

Try not to worry about it too much.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 12-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

I'm not worrying. I'm just wondering if I should invest in one of those swelly belly bands now, before I have the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

O I'm interested in that too.

What exactly is swelly belly and how does the band help?
Unread 12-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

Well, I don't know about the band, but I had what I called "jelly belly" after my LAVH. Part of the "swell" for an LAVH, is the gas that is used to expand your stomach. Best wishes!
Unread 12-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

Thanks Weiser. I can't imagine it can be any worse than the jelly belly I had after childbirth.

Just being vain.

Does anyone know if abdominal exercise helps?
Unread 12-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

I'd like to know if these swelly belly panties work. They sound like they may be painful with an abdominal sergury. How soon after sugery do you start using them?
Unread 12-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

For me, my jelly belly was a bit worse than after childbirth, and lasted much longer. Each of us are different so it is hard to predict what will happen, but knowing it could happen sometimes helps.

No abnominal excercises without the dr's okay, after your hyst. There is a lot of work done in there, even though you only see tiny cuts for the LAVH on the outside, and you don't want to make anything worse.

Oh, for me wore bikini cut so the panty didn't put pressure on my tummy. Others have liked support on their tummy.

Best wishes!
Unread 12-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

I had the LAVH, and have that darn swollen belly. I cannot even imagine wearing 'granny' panties. My bikinis feel good because it is below my belly which is sore to the touch.

The dr. gave me an elastic support band, which I have only used a couple of times. It is hard to say if you would need it or not. Some people love it, it doesn't really help me much. Hard to say what will be good for you. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 12-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Swelly belly with LAVH?

Hello ladies,
I too had LAVH, also had to deal with the swelly belly although I can say it wasn't as bad as I have. I think some things might factor into the swelly belly saga. I walked as much as possible and drank lots and lots of water. Both of these are hints I also read on this site and I think it helped. I wonder how much of your physical condition plays a roll in the swelly belly issue. I run and work out quite a bit, I try to stay in shape as much as possible. (I have to keep up with my DH the fireman) I was fortunate enough to actually wear my regular jeans 2 days out of the castle. I am not writing this to brag or say that swelly belly can be avoided, I just like to post my positive information so all sides are heard.

Good luck to the ladies in waiting.

Melanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register