Dance with NED is now over : < | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dance with NED is now over : < Dance with NED is now over : <

Unread 12-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Dance with NED is now over : <

Well...what a day it's been.

New CA125 came in yesterday at 139.5. Up from 54.8 just two weeks ago. YIKES! So on to a CT scan. Nothing of note except a fatty mass on the liver. Then on to a liver ultrasound.

Then went to consult with med oncologist armed with the CA125, CT scan and liver ultrasound report. Good news is: no mets to liver. But, my remission is over and my med oncologist wants to treat based on my CA125 (remember my normal is always around a 7, and it's been creeping up since Sept-Oct)

So, recommendation is: 1 single agent of carboplatin. As onco explained, I am taxol and platinum sensative since I made it one year before reoccurence. Because I still have a bad cause of neuropathy, he thinks just carbo is appropriate. So, I had my first dose today. No port and with Crappy veins....I will be getting a port soon....So, the plan is carboplatin every 4 weeks for at least six treatments. Onco thinks there is some merit to the studies that two agents are not always better than a single agent in extending remission time.

So, he gave me a new RX for a new neuropathy drug which he says has worked great......

So far, I feel o.k......Got an RX for Zofran just in case...Oncologist says I have to hold on until something of these new promising drugs are approved for ovca. He said 2 years ago he would not have given much promise out there for new treatment, but now he does. He did not paint a pretty picture for being reoccurence free in the future, but is rather realistic that my remissions need to last long enough to get to these new drugs on trial.

So, the dance with NED is now over. But, I will soon have my shoes ready and shined for my dance with NERD! Thanks to all of you wonderful ladies for your support. I'm just glad to know what I'm facing and in the battle mode to start kicking some cancer butt....No complete hair loss with carbo only!

to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2005, 08:11 PM

Lori,
s I am so sorry that you are going through this. You have suspected for a while now and having it confirmed must be a bit of relief. It is my prayer that the carbo is successful at evicting those cells from your body and that you will be dancing with NERD soon.

s
Jane
Unread 12-30-2005, 08:31 PM

That darn NED! I had single agent carboplatin for my first recurrence with excellent results and it helped with the second recurrence as well.
No hair loss. I hope it works very well for you. A port is a great idea--I had one all along and still have it. If your surgery to put it in goes as well as mine did, you will have little/no pain and are fine when you go home--I hope yours goes that well. If I see NED visiting his cousin NERD I will send NED back to you with strict orders to stay put.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2005, 08:35 PM

Lori,
I am so sorry that you have to put your dancing shoes away for a few months. What a bummer!

You know you can get through this, you already did. It just stinks that you have to do it again.

When I was on cisplatin I felt great the night of chemo. I think because of the large dose of Zofran that they gave me in the IV and the steriods. It was the third and fourth day post treatment that I needed to use the Zofran. But I found out that Zofran is VERY constipating, which is a whole 'nother problem! But that too can be treated. All of the side effects were treatable. This is doable! I'm just sorry that you have to do it.

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 12-30-2005, 08:41 PM

I love it that he's letting you know there are new promising treatments close at hand. And I'm glad that Marg321 has been there before you and has good reports. She's rockin', and you will be too.
Unread 12-30-2005, 08:48 PM

Hi Lori,
Although it did not come as a total surprise I am sorry that the recurrance did happen.
I am glad that your doctors are very much on top of things and that they did not wait any longer to treat.
When I had my first recurrance (21 months after finishing chemo) I was also able to have another surgery because there was something physically there to remove. They started me on taxol and carbo again because it worked soo well the first time. Unfortunately after 2 treatments and hair loss we realized that it was not working.
That was when Gemzar and Carbo came into the picture.
I am sure that you will be dancing with ned again real soon.
Rosalie
Unread 12-30-2005, 09:02 PM

(((((Lori)))))

You are a champ. You're my hero for facing this straight on and getting ahead of the situation. I'll bet you just set a record for procedures done in one day. Way to go!

Through doing talks for med students, like you, I've met so many women who had recurrences, sometimes more than one, shortly after their first round of treatment and have been NERD for years. I'm hoping that's what we'll be saying about you in years to come.

Meanwhile, I'm delighted to hear there are promising new treatments in the pipeline.

Hugs to you, my friend. I look forward to the day you're once again dancing with NED.

Margot
Unread 12-30-2005, 09:50 PM

Lori

I'm still in the same boat with you....my ca125 was 222 a couple of weeks ago. Cat scans show nothing, but ca125 was a very accurate marker for me too.
Have just undergone two ultrasounds and will know the results next week....It's very encouraging to hear about your docs optimism about future drugs! Gives us all hope....

Keep the chin up! Eat your veges and remember...we're all here for you....

Terri
Unread 12-30-2005, 09:57 PM

Huge s Lori

I too admire the way you have faced this head on!!!
I bet there is not alot of cancer there, since the CT was still normal.
Starting treatment now will make the job easier for carboplatin!!
Thoughts and prayers are heading your way tonight Lori!!

oxoxox karenann
Unread 12-30-2005, 10:01 PM

I am sorry to hear of your reoccurance! Drats. It sounds as though you are well equipped with a good attitude, and some very good medical professionals, to kick this dreaded demons butt once and for all.
May I pray for you to do just that, and that you come out on the other side of this treatment stronger and ready to cut the rug with NERD.
My prayers go with you as you battle this beast this time
many many hugs
snickers

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register