Depression Meds and Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression Meds and Surgery Depression Meds and Surgery

Unread 12-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Depression Meds and Surgery

I am scheduled for a 1/19 date. Do I need to stop meds for depression prior to surgery? Are there any interaction complications with anethesia? pain killers?

Anyone on depression meds have any further problems post-op with depression?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2005, 09:00 PM

i was and am on paxil for depression. i was not advised to stop tasking mine at all. the only thing that was told to me was not take it the morning of surgery. i did try to wean off my dosage after surgery as i had heard that many times the depression will go away after surgery. that was not the case for me. i continue to take my normal dosage as well as some estrogen. this is something that u can discuss with your anasthesiologist at your pre op. they will ask what meds u take and advise u in any way. if u do not see him/her at your preop u can ask the preop nurse and they can advise u or get an answer. good luck and god bless.
Unread 12-30-2005, 09:18 PM

Hi Pink Princess,

This are very important questions, and one you should ask your Dr about. I would ask as soon as you are able, because of the time issue. He will have a plan for your specific situation that may be different from anyone elses.

S,
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2005, 09:25 PM

naner -

Did you bring your meds with you and take them as you normally would?

I hadn;t heard depression may go away - some hope! Have had it for quite a while.....

I do plan on asking my Dr at my 1/5 pre-op with him - the ladies here are just so helpful and seem to bring up other issues I had not even considered.

Thx!
Unread 12-30-2005, 09:35 PM

no taking my meds with me was not allowed. and althought the preop nurse was advised of all the meds i was on i did not receive them while in the castle. i am on valtrex as well for suppression of my hpv. as i said i was not given any meds in the castle and i really was not in any shape to think to ask for them. my depression is not so bad that i cant go 2 days without it. any longer well now that is a different story. as i said i did try to go off due to what i had heard. it was a very bad mistake. was almost "homicidal" before it was "politely" pointed out to me by dh how i was acting!!! please make sure u ask for your meds in the castle. not sure why i did not receive them but i didnt.
please also take care and follow all the good rules posted here. u only have one time to heal right!!!
Unread 01-01-2006, 04:07 PM

Pink Princess-
In my pre-op with my gyno, she asked for a list of all the meds that I was currently taking which includes my antidepressants. She was going to order them for me at the hospital (my surgery subsequently got postponed to the end of February). I personally wouldn't go without these meds because I have gone cold turkey on them before due to insurance problems and it was not pleasant. I was told I could not take them to the hospital myself, that they had to be ordered by the doctor.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your big day!
Julie
Unread 01-04-2006, 06:50 AM

Talk with your doctor. I was told to take my regular med (Prozac) on the day of surgery (my surgery was late in the day). Some anti-depressants have been found to decrease the symptoms associated with menopause such as hot flashes and mood swings. I did and continue to have occassional and what I consider mild hot flashes - I truly believe the Prozac has helped.
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:25 AM

I take effexor xr and was told to take it with a small amt of water on the morning of my surgery -bad mistake. I started throwing up on the way to the hospital and didn't stop until I was given some anti-nausea medication in preop. I found out in a bad way they aren't joking about those little sticky notes that say take with food. I didn't resume the meds until the 2nd day after surgery when I came home. My dr was concerned about taking it with narcotic painkillers. However--everyone is different - check with your dr.
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:43 AM

I have had a previous surgery and did not have to stop taking my antidepressant. If I remember correctly they even gave it to me in the hospital.

Always tell your dr and anesthesiologist any meds you are taking, prescription, OTC or herbal, even vitamins. You may even want to take the bottle with you.
Unread 01-04-2006, 08:39 PM

Hello Sweetie,
I take my topamax and cymbalta at night and took them the night before. During my pre-op I gave them a list of my meds and they told me to bring my own meds to the hospital. Each hospital is different and if they do not tell you what they want you to do, ASK them.

GOOD LUCK Sweetie!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register