MRI for diagnosing prolapse?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MRI for diagnosing prolapse?? MRI for diagnosing prolapse??

Unread 12-31-2005, 11:34 AM
MRI for diagnosing prolapse??

I have already had two surgeries for prolapse--the first one was last December (04) where I had a paravaginal repair and cystocele/rectocele repair. Then in May (05) I had a bowel resection for rectal prolapse/intusseption and enterocele. In the last couple of months I have been having some old familiar symptoms again--having to splint with bm's, feeling of pressure and fullness, back pain, and my husband has even said he can see/feel a bulge vaginally.

So I called up my colon-rectal surgeon and asked if they would please order some testing to tell me what is going on and whether or not I have recurrent prolapse again. They have scheduled me for a pelvic MRI next week on Thursday. I am just curious if anyone has had an MRI for prolapse? I have never had one before. Last time I had the defecogram to dx my rectal prolapse. I did some research on the net and it says MRI is supposed to be good for diagnosing prolapse as they are supposed to take pics with a normal view and also while straining.

Any experiences?

Thanks,
Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2006, 03:52 PM

Hi Becky, I seen your post for prolapse and was wondering how did the MRI turn out.Were they able to tell anything from the MRI?I would just like to know in case I have more prolapse problems in the future.
Unread 01-30-2006, 09:40 PM

Me too, Becky,

I am curious to whether a MRI can diagnose the prolapse as well. I have an appt tomorrow with general DR and someone suggested requesting a MRI for many dx's and I was wondering if they were able to diagnose yours.

Lenee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 12:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let those who asked know that I did have the MRI done, but it did NOT show my prolapse. I know I have one because I can feel it and so could the doctor (rectocele to be exact) but the MRI did not show it. I think it is because with the MRI I was lying flat on my back and my legs were propped up, so all of the pressure was off of my pelvic area.

The Urologist said she thinks the new standing MRI machines will be better at finding prolapses because then you are upright and can bear down so that they will be able to get an "accurate" view of your pelvis.

I talked with a colon rectal surgeon and he said a defecogram is the best test to dx rectocele, so that is probably my next step. With that test you are sitting upright and can bare down to really make the defect pop out.

Becky
Unread 01-31-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I know I have one because I can feel it and so could the doctor
If your dr can feel it, why are they making you do all these tests? Why not fix it? What else are they looking for? My dr felt and saw my rectocele even though it was very small. He fixed it without me going through further testing.

I hope that you find answers soon!
Unread 01-31-2006, 05:02 PM

Hello All!

Me too! The only "test" I had was a vaginal ultrasound that my uro/gyn did right in the office. I didn't have to go for anything else and I specifically asked him if I needed additional testing and he (bless him) shook his head no! He fixed three "celes" and did a vaginal vault suspension. I've had no problems and I feel great!
Unread 01-31-2006, 05:31 PM

First off I think I was sent for more "tests" because I went to a new doctor. She was just a Urologist and I think since I had already been through two prolapse surgeries, she wanted to make sure she was feeling a rectocele and not a rectal intusseseption (had surgery for both)
Second, I am now convinced she was just out to make more money off of me---I got a bill in the mail yesterday and she charged me $1200 and some change for ONE office visit--and the only test they did in the office was a cystoscope!!!
Before when I had the prolapse I had NO testing other than the defecogram.

Becky

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register