Catheter Concerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter Concerns Catheter Concerns

Unread 12-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Catheter Concerns

I was just wondering if everyone had to have a catheter put in during their surgery. If so do they put it in before or after you're put under? I really hate having a catheter. Necessary evil I suppose. Could I request they put it in after I'm asleep?
18 more days....
p.s. Happy New Year's!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Catheter Concerns

Every time I have had one It was put in after I was put under. This time I was told there is a chance I will come home with one. I surely hope I don't!!!
Good luck with your surgery
Unread 12-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Catheter Concerns

Hi there! I had my tvh on Dec 12, and I didn't have a cathater when I went into the OR, or when I came out. Whether or not I had one during the surgery, I have no clue. But, I got right up after I got to my room to go pee. Which, I thought was strange because other ladies reported having one after their surgery. So I expected it. I'm sure the type of surgery must matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Catheter Concerns

Meatball: Here's to hoping!!!!
Thanks
Unread 12-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Catheter Concerns

Hi!
I had LAVH Dec. 6th and they put the catheter in after I was under.
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 12-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Catheter Concerns

Hi Miava!
This was my biggest concern before surgery because I had a catheter with all three of my c-sections. I was awake for one and out for two. I discussed this with my doctor at my preop and he told me I would be out. I had less problems after when they took it out sooner after surgery rather than later. I talked to him about that and he told me the reason it stayed in longer with one of my c-sections was because I had had an epidural. I told him about the problems I experienced after my last c-section and he agreed to have the catheter come out sooner. The nurse took the catheter out about 18 hours after my surgery. I had to sit upright in a chair awhile before she would take it out. Everyone is different and it depends on your surgery and as I found out the type of anesthesia you will have. Let your doctor know about your concerns and your nurses when you are in the hospital. I'll be thinkinking about you.
Heather
Unread 12-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Catheter Concerns

I went in without one and came out with one. I didn't mind though as long as I was not awake for it !! Having it removed was not bad either. It only takes a second. It was a great idea for me because after the surgery, I didn't want to get up or to be bothered. Best of luck to you!!

SNSHINE
Unread 12-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Catheter Concerns

I had a TAH and came out of surgery with a catheter. It was put it once I was out as all I remember is waking up with it in. It did not hurt at all. I remember being grateful that I didn't have to get up to urinate the first 24 hours.

Unread 12-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Catheter Concerns

My catheter was put in while I was out. Unfortunately, I came home with mine because my bladder was nicked during the hyster. It was in for a total of 3 weeks. I went to the urologist's office to have it removed. I felt nothing when he removed it.

Best wishes and 's
Unread 12-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Catheter Concerns

I had a cath in on and off since Sept 12 and in the whole time from Nov 1-Dec 31! I suffered a bladder injury during my TAH and had the repair Dec 20.
I had 4 caths burst inside me(cheap things!), I am very active. Had the cath changed everytime I had a bladder infection, probably 3-4 times. There are much worse pains in the world than catheter insertion or removal. I am one full day catheter free and very happy! I am also happy to say I didnt have any trouble peeing when it came out, and it was in a very long time!
Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register