Catheter Concerns - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter Concerns Catheter Concerns

Unread 12-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Catheter Concerns

I'm stressing about the catheter. I don't want one when I come out of surgery. I had one during my last surgery and they left it in 2 1/2 days! I had to walk with it! And the IV bags and a tube hanging from my stomach! I'm glad you posted this as I'm going to ask my doctor more about what she's going to do! Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2005, 07:34 PM
Catheter Concerns

Miava, my catheter went in after I had been put out, and was then removed about 24 hours later while I was fully awake. I didn't even feel it while it was in, nor did I feel it being removed. This surgery was not the first time I'd had a catheter inserted and removed in the same manner, and not once have I ever felt a thing, before, during, or after. While it's in, you never get the urge to pee because the urine just flows directly into the pouch and your blatter doesn't fill. The pouch is affixed to the side of the bed, and you don't even see it. Bottom line -- of all you'll go through, the catheter will likely be a nothing. Try not to worry about it.
Unread 12-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Catheter Concerns

Hi, I haven't been on much since I went back to work, sorry, but I had mine put in during surgery adn taken out the next day, about 18 hours after. The best thing, not having to get up to pee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Catheter Concerns

I woke up with mine too. And everyone is right, I wouldnt have wanted to get up that first 24 hours. It wasnt painful or anything.
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Catheter Concerns

Thank you all for your replies. You have no idea how much ya'll help me keep a level head. Funny how the smallest things worry you more than the major surgery your gonna have. Seems like most of you were out when it was put in, which is a relief since that's the part I hate. Not so worried about removal. Thanks again!
Unread 01-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Catheter Concerns

Miava, don't get to worried about the catheter I have it 4 times 2 while in the OR, one for my C-section, and one for my uterine artery embolization and that one was put in while I was awake I hardly felt it or noticed it. It did not bother me at all, while I had it in or when they removed it. Please take care and try not to worry about it . Best of luck for a speedy recovery after your surgery.
Kathy
Unread 01-13-2006, 06:22 AM
Catheter Concerns

Just wondering if any of you might know what my doctor was talking about. She told me that my cath wouldn't be put in the "traditional" location but would come out an incision in my ab. Since I'm having a TVH I'm just wondering if anyone has had this also...

One more thing...she told me it would be taken out on day 3...Since I'm in Germany they have told me to plan on staying 7 days...

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,
JElle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register