Clothes to Wear After Surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clothes to Wear After Surgery? Clothes to Wear After Surgery?

Unread 01-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Clothes to Wear After Surgery?

Hi!
I bought drawstring sweatpants a size larger than I normally wear. They were great for swelly belly and I still find them very comfy on days I do too much.
All the Best,
Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 04:28 PM

I used drawstring sweatpants and a larger size also
they was a life saver ...
Shoot i lived in sweats for 3 weeks

hope that helps
Unread 01-01-2006, 04:40 PM

I am going to wear my sweats to and from. But you guys made me feel good ... some of you said you lost weight!!! Yeah!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 04:53 PM

I did not feel comfy with ANYTHING around my waist for the first week so I did not even wear undies. I wore a loose, very casual summer dress (denim) & NO undies leaving the hospital and robes & loose nightgowns at home. Don't forget to have a small pillow for your tummy on the ride home from the hospital.
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:21 PM

Definitely wear soft loose clothing! Flannels or soft stretchy sweats and undies that won't rub on your incision and you'll need them to hold the peri pads in place instead of those awful belts.

Oh yeah, take easy to slip into shoes so you won't be tempted to bend over. I had trouble getting my socks on at first and had to have some help there!

I had a lot of swelling before and after my surgery due to 15 lbs of fibroids and endo, but even when those were removed, the swelling from the surgery well, it's still not quite gone. Getting less swelly though.

Best wishes and by the way, doggie friends are great heating pads if you keep your pillow in place.
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the great info on the clothes and the dogs! My dog loves to cuddle but I was worried that he would hurt me because he is not small...lab, boxer, pointer mix... My Gma bought me a new body pillow with sheepskin on one side so that should protect me when he wants to spoon. :-)
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:28 PM

Loose, loose, loose! Jumpers worked well for me, and dresses with no waist band. But mostly, my gown! I practically lived in t-shirt nightgowns for weeks! Slip on shoes or slippers are another great idea as mentioned. And something to keep your hair out of your face! Best wishes to you!
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:47 PM

I'm two weeks post-op and I still can't handle anything around my tummy, still can't wear undies. I have loved my draw string pj's. I even tried to wear a skirt today that was loose before surgery and only had a band at the waist, belly too swollen for that. I'm frustrated though, I've been reading about people having a lot easier time than I am. Why is it so much worse for me? the hot flashes the swelling, I don't get it.
Unread 01-02-2006, 12:52 PM

I'm still wearing loose fitting clothes at 4 weeks post. I dream of wearing jeans again! Much of my swelling is gone (I hope not just misplaced!)

However, my experience has been that the swellyness can change from moment to moment through the day. Probably due to fluid shifts and gas movement, not to mention gravity! Each body reacts differently to the surgery and of course, no two hysts. are exactly the same. Not to mention, that every woman's menopause experience varies.

I used to work as a nurse, and can tell you after actually observing hyst. and other abd. surgeries that even the most gentle of surgeries result in some trauma to the tissues and organs. Also the surgeons sometimes place gas or saline rinses into the abdomen to assist in the process and those things can cause additional temporary swelling and discomfort. OK, so when can we wear jeans again? I don't know, but surely each day brings a pair closer! Hang in there!

But I must say that I was totally in the dark about the swelling until I found this site. Thank goodness, I read about the ol' swelly belly before going to hospital and re-packed my bag!

Heating pads, gentle walks, and lots of fiber are more important right now than my favorite pair of blue jeans.
BTW, my heating pad (aka hairy friend, four legged support, service dog) is a huge labrador. I was concerned that she'd get too excited upon my return from hospital and jump on the target area. Either she wasn't as thrilled as I hoped on my arrival, or she is better behaved than I imagined, OR she suspected something was different. At any rate, she has been extra cuddly and calm around me and my belly. (She doesn't actually lie on my belly just beside me on the couch or bed.)

My reflex is still to buffer the belly with a pillow or a folded thin blanket. That reminds me, you might find it helpful to put part of the body pillow between your knees when resting on your side. You probably know that anyway, but there it is.

Hope you have someone to walk your dog for you for a while. Your early walkies should just be you, no leashes!
Unread 01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
clothes

hospital scrubb pants worked for me

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register