Hormone Fluctuations Connected to Blood Pressure? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone Fluctuations Connected to Blood Pressure? Hormone Fluctuations Connected to Blood Pressure?

Unread 01-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Hormone Fluctuations Connected to Blood Pressure?

Maybe this question belongs in the hormone forum but I'm raising it here because my experience of the last month is raising new questions every day. I was ready to have a TAH BSO on Dec 13 and it was postponed at the last minute because of an abnormal EKG report. They sent me to a cardiologist who asked me to monitor my blood pressure at home for a couple of weeks. Today, after some fairly regular readings I had one that was extremely low. Then right after that, I had my usual spotting episode. An hour later it came back up to normal again.

I've been on medication for high blood pressure for the last 10 years, about the same amount of time I've been going thru "perimenopause". My hormones are all over the place and I've suspected for years that that's the cause of the fibroids. Now I'm wondering if there's a connection to blood pressure as well. Has anyone had any experience this way, or read or heard anything medically about a possible connection? No doctor has ever suggested that my high blood pressure might have something to do with hormone fluctuations. The more I think about things, and read about other related problems on this website, the more I wonder if having a hysterectomy will cure a host of other problems too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 01:28 PM

Hi Mountain Miss,

I am sorry you had to postpone your surgery, but it is a good thing if your blood pressure would have made the surgery dangerous for you.

You have a good question, I'm sorry I don't have the answer. Maybe someone will come along soon who might have some insight.

S,
Kay
Unread 01-01-2006, 02:11 PM
I have high blood pressure too

I also have high blood pressure for the last year or so due to stress. I am perimenopausal also and am 46 years old. I have been put on several different blood pressure medicines since January of 05. One of the last ones I was on in the spring of 05 really did something to me. I had a lot of increased blood flow especially in my "private area". I don't know really any other way to explain it. I quit taking it after awhile (2 or 3 months)because it gave me heart palpitations. Fast forward to summer, I am noticing an increasing need to urinate. I just figured it was part of getting old. September, I had a UTI. Odd, I thought--never had one before. Didn't have periods for 4 months and then last month had a terrible period with horrendous PMS (I have always had bad PMS--I think I am what they call "estrogen dominate")and moderate bleeding which I had to go in and get stopped with medication at the gyno office. Same day there I am told I had a fibroid or a polyp--they could feel it. I always knew I had a little fibroid (was on birth control pills for 9 years for it but quit taking them in January 05.). Back for ultrasound and tech and my gyno believe I have a cluster of fibroids that have grown quickly in a years time. It is now 6 cm. Back on blood pressure medicine (toprol XL) now due to more stress from finding out about my fibroid growth and upcoming surgery. I don't know what to think about high blood pressure and fibroid growth, but I do know fibroids need estrogen to grow, but it makes me wonder if they can grow more due to high blood pressure too. My surgery is tomorrow. Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 05:19 PM

Mountain Miss
Here is a link from our resources which you may find helpful dealing with estrogen and blood pressure: http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen25.htm

S,
Kay
Unread 01-01-2006, 07:04 PM

Hi Mountain Miss,
I’m sorry you’ve had additional health problems requiring your surgery to be postponed. I was on BP medication (a diuretic combo) for 2 years prior to my surgery but have not had to take it at all since my hyst/bso 1 1/2yrs ago. My GP & I are both guessing the “coincidence” is probably because I no longer have a problem with fluid retention from my hormones. (Not only can I wear my rings every day, I can even get them on in the morning.) I know many women struggle with surgical menopause, so I feel very fortunate that I’m doing well with my HRT. I don’t know how many women are so lucky to have lower BP as a bonus, but I hope you are one of them.

I your cardiovascular problems are resolved soon, and wish you an uneventful surgery and a smooth recovery. Please keep us posted.

Best wishes & s,
Beth
Unread 01-02-2006, 06:08 AM

Good luck tomorrow, Paula (I guess you won't be reading this for awhile!)
Unread 01-02-2006, 06:26 AM

The cardiologist gave the OK on Friday to go ahead with my surgery. Hopefully it will be re-scheduled soon. Actually it probably was a good thing I was forced to get my heart checked out. I had been worrying about my blood pressure for a long time. I am on 200 mg of Toprol XL (along with a mild diuretic), which is a high dose. I have wondered if maybe the medication was the reason for my abnormal EKG. It will be interesting to see if my BP straightens out after the hyst. Maybe the wacko hormones are at the root of everything, creating a catch-22 situation. I don't think doctors give much thought to the role of menopausal symptoms to the functioning of the whole body.
Unread 01-02-2006, 06:50 AM

Despite my high cholesterol, my blood pressure was always really low,, until the last year when the periods have gotten worse. Whenever I am about to start my cycle, my blood pressure goes from 116/70 up to as high as 160/85, I have never thought to ask about this, but will just to see if they have any thoughts. I have horrible water retention that makes my hands and feet swell and joints ache. I have made huge changes in my diet and lost 15.5 lbs which has helped a lot, but made the mistake of eating flavored crackers and cheese as a treat yesterday and the retention is back, and my blood pressure went up right on schedule with my cyle. grrr... My oldest brother has to wear a monitor for a few weeks, and has a blood pressure cuff so I have been checking it. I don't want any surprises on the day of surgery!! The doc said they wouldn't have to do an EKG because I"m 36, but I am going to insist on it at the pre-op. Two of my brothers were 50 when the had heart attacks, with 7 stints between them, 6 of the 8 siblings have high cholesterol, with border line diabetes thanks to our inherited genes.
I did read the info in the link, a little confusing. I will be interested to see what others post.
Best wishes of peace and health to you
Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register