I need your experience... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need your experience... I need your experience...

Unread 01-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I need your experience...

I am scheduled for a LAVH ( I think, I will be double checking), on Jan. 20th. I have read a lot of the post, but have a few more questions.

My history...29 yrs old, first period at 10, 1 child, c-section, had a brain clot/small stroke 6 weeks after c-section (possible birth control side effect), can not take any type of birth control and must stay away from horomones; mom, aunt, grandma all have breast cancer; very painful periods that only last 1-2 days; horrible migraines (scary after having stroke); severe cramping; so here are my questions, please answer honestly at this point very little scares me!

1.Urninary problems: has anyone experienced bladder/ut problems after the LAVH?
2. I do not know yet it I will keep my cervix. Has anyone had the LAVH? Did you keep your cervix?
3. I read one post that said that sex pre-op and sex post-op were very similar. I just got to the point that I am enjoying sex, is this LAVH going to change things dramatically?
4. How many days in the hospital? I read 1-4, what had been your experience?
5. I have seen in many post that having the hysterectomy has set many "free". That is why I am having the surgery. As of right now I do not have any life threatening conditions, just a lot of pain. Is the "free" feeling a state of mind?
6. I have read a lot about the post-op gas pains. Did anyone's hospital get upset or hassel you about using Gas X or other gas relievers. I hate gas cramps! and I want to be prepared.
7. How did you tell your parents? My family and husbands' want more grandchildren. I am not ovulating and husband has very poor counts (failed all test). We just want to live our lives and be happy without all the pressure.

Any and all comments are welcome. If your surgery date is close to mine, I would love to keep in contact with you.

Thanks!!! tj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 10:32 PM

Hey scrap -

Scheduled for TAH on 1/19. This site has been great to get information and answers to questions. Your LAVH will be different from mine - but from what I 've read - all the sisters share common out comes.

Those who have gone before us will be better able to answer your questions - I just wanted to say 'Hi" and let you know there are lots of people out there close to your date - check out the Calendar!
Unread 01-01-2006, 10:40 PM

Hi I had a LAVH/BSO. I will try and answer your questions based on my experiences. I am sorry you are having such a hard time and I wish you the best during and after your surgery.

1. I didn't have any bladder problems. I also drank alot, and I do mean alot of water right after surgery so that I would be able to pee enough to go home...they make sure you pee a certain amount so that your bladder is working okay.

2. Didn't keep the cervix. Have heard that keeping the cervix can give you mini periods and also keeping the cervix can give you a chance of cervical cancer (although rare). I didn't want to chance this at all so I had it removed.

3. The only thing that changed about sex for me was that I was able to have it ALOT more often, my libido increased. The only downside was the orgasms are still great but not as intense since my uterus would contract with orgasm pre-surgery.

4. I was in one day and out the next morning.

5. It is a state of mind, body, and emotion. Having a hysterectomy can be literally a freedom that releases you from monthly misery, moodiness, cramps, and all the oh so wonderful things that go with periods!! You don't have to plan everything around your periods. Your body has more energy and you just don't feel so bogged down.

6.My hospital encouraged me to walk in as soon as an hour (I was ready be sure you are ready before walking) after surgery. The more you walk and the more water you drink, the more gas you will relieve and pass. Also, the hospital gave me a stool softener which helped the first BM be alot less uncomfortable. The more you walk and drink, the more gas you will pass naturally. I don't see why they would object to you using GAS X in addition to walking/drinking. Ask your doc about what he recommends.

7. We just told them. It was hard to tell them that we weren't going to have more than one child. It was hard for me to accept and for my DH. But we told them and realized for ourselves that my health and me actually being there for my DD and not risking my life was more important than trying for more children. You just have to be honest with them and tell them your reasons. I would expect them to be a little confused or even hurt but as long as you tell them you still love them and that you and your DH need their support then they will be there for you.

My parents were used to my wacko periods and hormones and realized it was an absolute miracle of God that I could even carry my DD to term especially considering all of the complications I had. They knew that one was a blessing and saw the wisdom in not tempting fate and trying again. My DH's parents took it harder but tried to be supportive. It took them a good two years to really really accept the fact that DD was to be an only child. They didn't hound us, per se, but we could just tell that they were having a hard time with it all.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me.
Mustang30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 11:56 PM

Hi Scrap,

I had a LSH, a ~sister~ surgery to the LAVH. The difference is with a LSH, the cervix is retained and with a LAVH, the cervix is generally removed.

I am over 18 months post-op now and still very thrilled with my lap surgery results. No more heavy periods (not even a mini-period), no more b.c., no more pelvic pressure from my fibroids and most of all I have energy and my quality of life back. Post-op sex is great and my bladder works better then it has in years.

Best wishes with your laparoscopic hyst.

Mary
Unread 01-02-2006, 12:05 AM

I am very sorry about your situation. I had an LAVH at 25 from endo causing a long, never ending period. I had no bladder problems before or after surgery, although I did have a UTI post op, which can be fairly common. Typically with a LAVH, you will have your cervix removed. (There are a few drs who are able to do a more specialized surgery laparoscopicly which would allow you to keep your cervix.) My stay was suppose to have been three days, two nights, but was extended due to complications. There has been no dramtic sexual difference for me--wait that is a lie, we basically had no sex life due to the never ending bleeding, so I guess it is better! I am "free" of the bleeding so I am glad about that. As I have endo though, I am not "free" from the cause of my hyst, so I am not cured per se. I did not have a lot of issues with gas. Do not take or use any meds in the hospital without first consulting with your dr and nurses, not even OTCs. They could interact with the meds you are given in the hospital. My mother and my MIL both knew I was having a lot of female problems so it was not difficult for me to tell them. They knew I needed relief but were sad I had to have a hyst. My mom told my dad.

Did I answer everything?! Best wishes to you for your upcoming surgery, I hope all goes well. I am glad you are finding help on the site, and hope you find a lot of support to help you through this time.
Unread 01-02-2006, 09:41 AM

Hi tj!
I had LAVH 4 wks ago and I feel really good.
1. no
2. no cervix- I had history of bad paps
3. no sex for me yet
4. I spent 2 days in the hospital
5. All of the pain from endometriosis is gone (hopefully for good!)
6. bring gas-x with you, just let the nurse know you have it
7. I had 2 wks to prepare for my surgery so I had to tell my parents so they could help with my little ones when I was in the hospital.
Feel free to ask any other questions! The more you know the better prepared you'll be. Waiting was the hardest part for me.
All the Best,
Laurie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register