ovary dilemma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovary dilemma ovary dilemma

Unread 01-01-2006, 10:44 PM
ovary dilemma

Hello! I am 47 and scheduled for TVH Jan 10, due to a large, bothersome fibroid (heavy bleeding) and I have had this 'ovary dilemma' for several weeks now. I have gone from taking them both out, to keeping them both and I am now considering keeping just one ovary, even though my GYN says if you keep one then you should keep both. I have read and read and read and I feel I know all you can about ovaries, but I REALLY need to know how many of you out there have kept one ovary and how you are doing with the decision! I have not shown any signs of menopoause and would like to keep one ovary so that I can ease my way into menopause. I have read that having a hysterectomy alone lowers your ovarian cancer risk and my GYN verified that bit of data. I have no breast or ovarian cancer in my family, but I am still concerned about both. Any of you with one ovary, HELP ME OUT! ( my dog BUDDY)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 10:48 PM
ovary dilemma

Hi Summerhouse, I lost both of my ovaries and I wish I had kept one of them because now I'm having to deal with issues related to estrogen/lack of estrogen and being in surgical menopause. I'm 46 yrs old and even though my Dr told me that I was close enough to menopause to not have to worry about it, I'm worrying about it! It's a personal decision that only you can make but if I had to do it all over again, I would have INSISTED on keeping my other "less sick" ovary. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-01-2006, 10:55 PM
ovary dilemma

hello musiclover, thanks for the info. my GYN is telling me the same thing basically. both of my ovaries look fine right now, but i have had cysts in the past on my left one and i thought that would be the one to remove, but i will leave it up to the doc if i go this route. did you have 'sick' ovaries? and what kind of estrogen problems are u having? i am very interested to know. if that is okay.
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 11:05 PM
ovary dilemma

Hi again Summerhouse. I had my uterus removed because I had adenomyosis, although I didn't know that till the surgery and biopsy. What clinched my surgery was a tumor on my right ovary, the size of a tennis ball. My Dr. said as long as we have to go in to remove that, we might as well remove your uterus too. I have no regrets AT ALL about that decision. What I do regret is losing that other ovary. I told my Dr. that I was leaving it up to her discretion. I said if it doesn't look healthy, then it was ok to take it. I wish now that I had been more specific and said if it looks like cancer, then take it too. She took it because it was covered with cysts. I guess there's no way to ever know if that ovary would have ever been normal, as far as producing estrogen - I've heard some women say that their other ovary went into "shock" and never worked again - but where I'm at right now, I kind of would liked to have had that option to find out. I'm having problems with an irregular heartbeat, never had that happen until now, after losing my ovaries. No Dr. or cardiologist can give me a straight answer about whether it was caused by the estrogen, either too much or not enough. It's just very frustrating. I was taken off of my estrogen 2 weeks ago when I was hospitalized for this and I've yet to have any hot flashes or night sweats but I've had a few very emotional outbursts of crying. I'm just really sad that I lost that "part" and have to deal with this issue now.
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:06 PM
ovary dilemma

Hello Summerhouse,
We are scheduled for surgery on the same day. Mine will be LAVH. I too have been grappeling with the overy issue. I know that the left one will go due to the pain on that side. Told my Dr. that I wanted to keep the right one if it is healthy. She said ok but if there is endo it would have to go. We won't know until they get in there so I am going to leave the ultimate decision to her. We are in the same boat. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:08 PM
ovary dilemma

thanks for the info musiclover 1! i hope you get to feeling better soon.
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:21 PM
ovary dilemma

How about that Sugrmack! The same day. Actually I am sure there are thousands that day probably. Anyhow, I know I don't have any endometriosis. I had a laparoscopy recently so my GYN could look around in there to tell me what was going on and she said all looked good except for this MONSTER fibroid. I want to keep an ovary so we will see. Good Luck to you!
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:23 PM
ovary dilemma

It can be very hard to decide what is best sometimes. I chose to keep my ovaries, with the advice of my dr. It was the right decision for my overall health--I have endo, but we looked at my age, my symptoms, my lack of pain from the endo, the pros and cons of HRT, etc. You may wish to search some of the other forums to find additional information. For instance, the Hormone Jungle has info about HRT and how other ladies are dealing with it from not having their ovaries. You may also wish to use the search tab to look up other threads about ovaries, cysts, etc.

Best wishes to you for whatever decision you make. Each of us are unique individuals and we have to make the decision that is best for our circumstances.
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:28 PM
ovary dilemma

Thanks Summerhouse! I agree with Weiser about searching other forums for more info. This website is awesome. There is so much info to be found. Good luck on your decision!
Unread 01-01-2006, 11:31 PM
ovary dilemma

Thanks Weiser for the help! I have read and read and read, believe me. I just haven't heard much about keeping one ovary. I hope to hear from someone that has one ovary and that they are doing great!
Keeping my fingers crossed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register