ovary dilemma - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovary dilemma ovary dilemma

Unread 01-02-2006, 05:44 AM
ovary dilemma

I still have the question of keeping an ovary myself. My doc has told me straight out that because of my previous endo removal it might not be a very good idea to keep them at all. I have had numerous cysts break and the pain was horrible. My doc is seeking a second opinion for me and will call this week, but I have pretty much made up my mind to have it all gone. She told me I would probably end up having it out within 2 years and that is not something I want to go through.
Best of luck with your decisions.
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 09:21 AM
ovary dilemma

Hi summerhouse,

Here is a link to an article you may want to read: Keep Ovaries? Keep One or Both? .

IMHO, if you don't have any risks for cancer, then why remove a healthy organ?

s,
Kay
Unread 01-02-2006, 11:28 AM
ovary dilemma

Did you find the link above helpful? Did you seek a second opinion from another dr? What is your dr's reasoning for you keeping your ovaries or having them removed?

I hope you are able to find the right answer for you. Each of us are different and make different decisions based on our circumstances. As I mentioned, I kept my ovaries, due to my age and the fact my ovaries were healthy, even though I have endo. Thus, I have more pain now than I had before my hyst, as my endo is growing. Eventually I will have to have more sugery, and more than likely my ovaries out. It was just best for me to delay having my ovaries out so I would not need to be on HRT for so many years, health concerns with HRT--family history of female cancers, and I have migraines.

s to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 11:51 AM
ovary dilemma

Hi Weiser, The link was helpful. Thanks! I guess what I need to know is, of those ladies who have kept one ovary, how well did it function? Did it start to fail soon after surgery, did it go in to 'shock' as I have read that they sometimes do? Did it provide enough estrogen? Does the remaining ovary have problems after the hyst because of the hyst or were they doomed from the start? My GYN would like me to have my ovaries out. Period. However, she is not forcing me. Her main reason is because of my age, 47, and she thinks they are trouble makers! She had a complete hyst at the age of 42 and has been on HRT and reports 'no problems'. Of course, since she is a doc she was able to 'play' with her HRT differently than a normal person would be able to, until she got it right. I have not sought a second opinion, however, my very good friend is an OBGYN nurse practitioner and she is highly recommending I remove them. Again, because of my age. So the dilemma continues! What to do?!
Unread 01-02-2006, 12:13 PM
ovary dilemma

Hi Summerhouse,

Unfortunately, you would get many different answers to these questions. Some women leave both ovaries, and they go to sleep and/or quit functioning within a year. Others leave one ovary, and it picks up the slack and meets all their hormonal needs. Others do well for a year or two or more, then the ovary atrophies. A lot of it depends on how much the blood supply to the ovaries was affected during the surgery, etc.

I am sorry that there isn't any way to know how you will do if you keep one or keep both ovaries. There is no way to predict how easy it will be for you to find a balance to hormone replacement. Those are some of the very real risks associated with this surgery.

One thing to consider is that (and again this is assuming they are healty with no endo or cancer risks) if you leave your ovaries or one ovary, and it fails or needs to be removed later - you can always go back in an have it removed. If however, you remove both ovaries (and they are healthy) and you are unhappy with the resulting HRT, there is not any way to go back and put them back in. An oopherectomy is not as extensive a surgery as the hysterectomy is.

Another thing to consider is that women whose ovaries are functioning well before an oopherectomy are less likely to be happy with the HRT experience afterwards.
If, like me, your hormones are already out of balance and your ovaries diseased, then the resulting HRT therapy ,even though not ideal, is far better than what I had before.

Also, a second and third opinion is always a wise move when considering such a major surgery

S,
Kay
Unread 01-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Can I jump in here?

I have a couple of comments/questions for all of you. First, I have decided to keep my ovaries because that is a decision that IS reversible. Removing them is NOT reversible. My mother has had breast cancer twice, and HRT scares me at any age. So here is my question: what is the correlation between keeping the ovaries and the incidence of breast cancer? I was going under the assumption that keeping my ovaries was lowering my risk of breast cancer than being on HRT.

Now a comment about ovaries "going to sleep". My gyno told me the same thing that kay m mentions: this depends on the blood supply to the ovary and how this is impacted during a hysterectomy. The more invasive types of surgery have a higher risk of impacting the blood supply. I'm having an LSH, so I'm hoping that the impact will be minimized. But like you ladies, once she gets in there, if they are diseased, one or both may need to come out which would make the whole issue moot. Hopefully that won't happen.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me on the ovary to breast cancer correlation.
Julie
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:34 PM
ovary dilemma

Hello CallieKitten, Summerhouse here. Just curious, how old are you? Can we ask that here or is it a no-no?! Just wondering because that is the MAIN reason my GYN suggests I take out my ovaries-my age, which is 47. They won't be working much longer anyhow she says, so get rid of them now! I just saw my breast doctor this morning for my yearly exam and I questioned her about HRT and all she could say is that with some people breast tissue does change after they go on HRT. I don't know the exact correlation between ovarian and breast cancer, but there is something. A friend just had surgery for ovarian cancer(they caught it very early) and the doctors are recommending she have a double mastectomy as soon as she feels better. I am having a TVH for a large fibroid which does not cause any pain, just heavy bleeding. What is a LSH? Never seen that one before.
Unread 01-03-2006, 01:35 PM
ovary dilemma

Hi Summerhouse,
I am 46 years old and had asked to keep both of my ovaries but the Dr said he could not promise me anything. He would only leave them if they are healty. Once he was in he said one had to go. I did not ask which one, I did not think it really mattered. I had 3 opinions before I made up my mind. My dear husband could not understand why I would want to keep my ovaries but this was my decsion working with my doctor. I am doing great, going on my 7 week. I commend you on how you are asking questions and will have you on my mind and pray for a healthy recovery
Unread 01-03-2006, 02:32 PM
ovary dilemma

How refreshing MiAmiga! You are the first one I have heard from that kept one ovary. You are about my age and I also have a fibroid. Mine appeared out of nowhere. Last check it was about the size of a baseball. I am hoping that it hasn't gotten too big now to have a vaginal hysterectomy. My GYN says I should be okay. Thanks for responding. I hope you continue to do well.
Unread 01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
ovary dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerhouse
Hello! I am 47 and scheduled for TVH Jan 10, due to a large, bothersome fibroid (heavy bleeding) and I have had this 'ovary dilemma' for several weeks now. I have gone from taking them both out, to keeping them both and I am now considering keeping just one ovary, even though my GYN says if you keep one then you should keep both. I have read and read and read and I feel I know all you can about ovaries, but I REALLY need to know how many of you out there have kept one ovary and how you are doing with the decision! I have not shown any signs of menopoause and would like to keep one ovary so that I can ease my way into menopause. I have read that having a hysterectomy alone lowers your ovarian cancer risk and my GYN verified that bit of data. I have no breast or ovarian cancer in my family, but I am still concerned about both. Any of you with one ovary, HELP ME OUT! ( my dog BUDDY)
Hi. My dr would not even talk about it with me! He told me he will not take out healthy ovaries. We need those. I'm glad I still have them! Or else, I'd be on some form of hrt for many years, and I hate taking stuff! If I have a health problem down the road...I'll deal with it then! You just don't go removing healthy glands for no reason! Actually, I'm due for my first period since my hyst, and I must tell you that my WORST pms symptoms are GONE! I didn't notice any of them, at all! But that's just me of course!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register