Date Scheduled January 10th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Date Scheduled January 10th Date Scheduled January 10th

Unread 01-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Date Scheduled January 10th

Hi Everyone!My name is Amber, Im 28 years old. I have 2 children ages 6 & 8. My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 10th. They are taking my uterus & possibley my left ovary. I have been having pains & get infections like crazy for years & after I am sent for blood tests of all kinds & ultrasounds (the recent makes my 3rd vaginal u/s in the past 2 years), things come back normal and they act like im making it up. I recently found the best Dr. I have ever been to. He really genuinely cares and wants to help me. I still cant believe it? I was in tears I told him I was happy that my tests came back normal but i cant figure out why i am in all this pain if there is nothing wrong?He said the pain i describe sounds like i have endometriosis. My periods have been a lil crazy for the past 6 months, bad cramping worse than i have been having, i get cysts that burst and that is very uncomfie, my back hurts so bad & i feel so drained. I want to be the best i can be for my family & im so moody and irritable, tired & in pain all the time i just dont want to deal with anything, no one understands that (i dont even understand it, i feel like im just a big mean monster). My husband will be very supportive thru this & I no I can count on him, he is taking off the day of & surely whenever/how ever long i will need him. I am scared silly about this, im sure like everyone else. People keep telling me "you lucky dog" "i will go in your place" im just thinking 'are you crazy?'. Every time i think about having to go in next week my insides just start aching!!!! I just need all the reassurance i can get to help me know i will be OK. Please let me know I will be ok!!I am the type of person that worries way more than the normal person & expects the worse (which i am REALLY trying hard to tell myself i will be ok about this, because i no a good attitude will make it a lil easier for me!) Thanks for listening to me ramble
Amber
I feel like throwing up but at the same time I cant imagine not having a period ever again & get excited HAHA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 07:58 AM

Hi Amberbamber,
We go to the castle on the same day. I had trouble for years being taken seriously too, but like you found a wonderful Dr.(nurse practitioner actually). It is normal to be scared and nervous. I am too. Remember you will feel so much better later. Keep reading posts on this site. The ladies here are wonderful and there is alot of great info. They even accept us when we just need to vent. Good luck to you. Let me know how things go for you.
Unread 01-02-2006, 08:13 AM

I know just how you feel and so do alot of other gals on here. This site has been a godsend for me. My DH has been wonderful and supporting but sometimes I just need to talk to someone who REALLY knows what I am going thru.

I had a tubal ligation years ago. About 7 years ago, I started having bad cramping and awful periods along with major clotting. My doctor at that time, put me on BC pills to help the situation out. It worked for several years and just this year in May I started having pain and clotting again. The pills just werent working anymore.

My new doctor (old one retired) asked me if I knew that having ones tubes tied can cause endo. I was not aware of that. After many tests it was determined I should go in for lap surgery. Surgery day came and I also had a hystercopy, conization (pre cancer of cervix) and a D&C. He removed lots of scar tissue. When I saw him in recovery he was amazed I was not in more pain than I was before the surgery!

I felt great for a month and the pain started again and Aunt Flo was now vistiting twice a month. I had another ultra sound in which there were cysts and a few fibroids discovered. My doc then recommended a hyst.
I was never so happy to hear those words!

Other members of my family (excluding my DH) thought I was just imaging all this and told me I was just looking for attention. I wanted to scream. Even my own mother was against the surgery until she saw me suddenly buckle over in pain and ruin a pair of pants in the process. It finally became evident to her that I wasn't able to fake bleeding so heavily.

Sorry about the long rambling, but it's my way of telling you and others that you aren't crazy. This site is great for letting us vent and rant and rave and ask questions.

I am for some reason not afraid of the surgery itself as I am about the instant menopause. I'm still confused whether to take hormones or not. Thankfully I am going to the doc's tomorrow to discuss this and ask him tons of other questions before my surgery on the 26th.

Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 08:18 AM
scared

Amber, I am excited for you that you found out what is wrong with you and don't have to live in pain. I have my surgery this Friday and I think nervousness goes with the territory, afterall it's surgery. I am just looking forward to not having to purchase HUGE boxes of pads and tampons ever again. That is what's keeping me going, and never being in the supermarket and having to leave the cart in the aisle and running to the bathroom, or being in the front of my classroom and having to think of a reason to back out the door and grab my supplies as I escape with 23 kids staring at me. Why we women have to go through this is just mind-boggling. I'm glad you have a supportive husband and your kids will do fine. After the birth of my daughter 18 years ago I had a gall bladder attack which I was told came from the pregnancy. Six months later I had surgery for it and my kids were 6 months and 22 months! I survived and so did my kids with the help of a supportive husband and family. Good luck!
Unread 01-02-2006, 08:28 AM

blizzycat,
Thankyou for reminding us all about yet another good thing about having a hyst. No more pads and tampons.How about not having all your underwear with torn crotches from the adhesive on the pads that we have to wear sooooo much.
Unread 01-02-2006, 09:30 AM

Hi AmberBamber!
I think all of the women here will be extremely supportive. You have found a wonderful site here.
I understand your pre-op nervousness and being scared of the unknown.
I just wanted to tell you of my positive experience. I am 4 wks post-op LAVH due to extensive endometriosis, heavy & lengthy periods, and nasty pain. I feel great! My first week home was a little uncomfortable, but nothing compared to all the pain I have gone through with the endometriosis. I haven't felt this good in a long time and I am grateful for my Dr. and all the women on this site that have helped me. I hope your surgery goes well and you have an uneventful recovery like mine!
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 01-02-2006, 10:06 AM

Hey Amber, my surgery is scheduled for January 9th and I am really SCARED as well. I too have endo. They are taking my right ovary because of endometriomas cyst and my uterus because of the endo. I feel like I am stuck in one big anxiety attack. I am looking foward to the pros of not having any more pain and buying all the femine products. I wish I could just sleep this entire week and wake up when its over.I also always think the worst in every situation. I am sure we will both be fine and will think back later of how silly we were for being so scared. I thought I was the only one who was scared until I found this site. Good Luck!
Unread 01-02-2006, 04:10 PM

I'm right with you! Some days I can't wait until this surgery is over and others; I am panicky about it. A week ago, I thought, maybe I should cancel and rethink things and yesterday, Aunt Flo reared her ugly head. I am at home today, in pain, sick to my stomach, headache etc. So, I'm again looking forward to the 13th! LOL Somedays I just feel crazy!
Unread 01-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Jan. 10th - My Date, too!

Hey AmberBamber,
My surgery is the same day. This web site is helpful. there are things I didn't even think about. . . like the pillow for the ride home or the 10 inch wedge pillow for recovery at home.
Just going back to school, I've been out for Christmas vacation. I'm barely back and I have to leave my first graders. Luckily I got to hand pick my substitute.
I don't know what time my surgery is on the 10th, but my pre-op tests are Wed. morning.
I have two children, but mine are a 22 year old son and an 18 year old daughter. My husband has been great through all of this. I'll be 51 on Jan. 22nd. (I guess no going out dancing for my birthday this year.)
Some days I am glad I'm going to get this all over with and then there are the not so good days when I worry about EVERYTHING! I have fibroids and a suspicious right ovary which may or may not be cancer.
So, be glad we live in a time when things like this can be taken care of. Let's pray for each other!
Missbehavior
Unread 01-02-2006, 09:21 PM

Hello, Ladies,

My hysterectomy (I kept the ovaries) was on Dec. 12th and I completely understand your concerns...the night before, I didn't get one wink of sleep and was even thinking about not going! I'm happy to report that I've been home now for over two weeks and am SO glad it's over. The initial intense pain has worn off and, except for feeling tired a lot, I feel pretty good. Okay, so I have this big long scar from my belly button down to the pubic bone with little staple marks on either side, but otherwise I feel fine for being 3 weeks out. :-)

It's not comfortable sitting for long periods of time still - I take naps and short walks around the grocery store but have not been doing anything strenuous. Getting up from the reclining position was difficult initially but it's been much better the past few days. I tried on my jeans today and they fit but are snug so the 'swelly belly' has not been too bad for me so far...let's hope it stays that way.

I think it's normal to be worried, scared, have doubts and misgivings, but in the end it will be worth the process as we all feel better with the results of the surgery. My pre-op experience consisted of checking in, chatting with the nurses and doctors, getting an IV needle placed, and lying back to wait for the next step - then the next thing I know, I woke up in post-op. It was much easier than I'd expected and the hospital staff and doctors were all very supportive.

Best wishes to all of you going in over the next few weeks - this site has been a great support before and after! Please know you'll be in my thoughts and it's all going to be just fine. Even better than that probably and you'll be back on the site letting us all know how it went before you know it.

S.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register