Just packed my bag!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just packed my bag!!!! Just packed my bag!!!!

Unread 01-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Just packed my bag!!!!

I just packed my bag. I was going to wait until midnight, don't ask me why, just was. It seemed right. But then I thought oh I will just be done with it, tomorrow is going to come whether I want it to or not. I am not panicing, I just feel everything is surreal. Like I am walking in a strange place I have never been before. I packed four pairs of pajama's for a five day stay. I think I have about 8 pairs of panties. You can never have to many of them. My robe, two pairs of slippers, a pair of socks in case my feet get cold, all my toiletries, pads(yuk), towels,(don't know if they provide them), a couple books. I am going to take a small pillow as suggested on this site.Thats about it, unless i think of something else later. I must take all my medicines and I need to put the urine sample bottle in the bathroom. So I won't forget to do that before leaving. I am going to eat a light supper tonight, but drink lots of fluids. Good luck my sisters, soon , I am off to the castle!See you on the other side!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Just packed my bag!!!!

Good luck!!

My prayers will be with you and the other princesses for Jan 3rd. Give us your report when you get back - us Ladies in Waiting will be waiting!

Be good and remember everything you learned from this site about taking good care of YOU.
Unread 01-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Just packed my bag!!!!

s Chapelgate2!

May you sail through tomorrow and your recovery. Your HysterSisters will be thinking of you.

Take care.

and remember to

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Just packed my bag!!!!

Good luck chapelgate2! Mine is wednesday...looking forward to your postings on the post-op page!!!!! I started packing a few days ago! I also packed shower stuff, ie; shampoo, razor, soap, etc. (not sure if you take a shower at the hospital, but thought, just in case). I am looking forward to my trip to the castle. I can't wait to get it over with and get back home to begin my recovery!
Good Luck and God Bless!!
Deana
Unread 01-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Just packed my bag!!!!

Best wishes for speedy and easy recovery. Did you remember to pack some go-home clothes that will be comfortable? Wow - nice to know in the UK you get to spend 5 days at the castle, vs. the U.S. where you're lucky to get approved for 2-3 days. As already stated, we sisters in waiting will be anxious to hear how it goes.

thinking of you!
Unread 01-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Just packed my bag!!!!

Wow, you all packed way too much. Use the stretchy panties they give you at the hospital, and wear their gowns. You don't want to get yours all bloody. Why would you need 2 pairs of slippers? I never even used my one pair, they gave me a pair of walking socks. I packed lightly, and my husband thought I packed too much.

Razor? You will not be able to shave your legs, sorry ; ) You won't be able to bend over comfortably to do it. They also give you(charge you for it) toiletries of shampoo, body wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, and lotion.

Why do you have to stay for 5 days? I had 2 surgeries done, and they kept me for just 2 nights. They kick you out quick! Good luck on your surgeries!
Unread 01-02-2006, 12:42 PM
I just packed too!

Mine is tomorrow as well. Wow, 5 days! I get 2 if I am lucky. Things must be different in the UK? I just took the meds for the lovely "bowel prep". I only packed 1 pj shirt and I am going to wear the slippers there, and my toothbrush, shampoo, deoderant, chapstick...and a book. Yes, that's about it. I don't want to have to gather alot of junk together when I have to come home. I was also told a "small overnight bag" was allowed. I guess they don't want alot of stuff around either. Well, good luck to you!
Unread 01-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Just packed my bag!!!!

The health care here is national health care. I don't have to pay for this surgery. I pay about $12. for every medication I take, no matter what the medication is, it is the same price. Since I live in a small village when I order my medication, I get a three months supply for the one price of£6.50. I just have a suspicion that since I was told to bring my own pads, that nothing else will be provided as in America. It is a bare bones operation. It is excellent care when you truly are sick but theres no frills. All the extras you get in America is because of the high costs of health insurance. I really am not crazy for taking so much- I go prepared for every situation. Oh I am shaving everything tonight that needs to be shaved. I wasn't given a stool softener. nothing was said to me about taking one, so I will just pass on that one. Maybe they will give me one in the morning.God Bless you all-
Unread 01-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Just packed my bag!!!!

Bowel prep???? I was never informed of any of that. Maybe I want have that??!!
Who's gonna shave my legs!!?? I'm already teasing my husband that he will. I can't stand going a day without shaving! YUCK....
Deana
TAH 1/4/06 - endo and adeno
Unread 01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Just packed my bag!!!!

Hi there!

I thought I packed really light for my stay in the castle (3 nights).... I figured I'd let the hospital do the laundry, especially with all of the weird colored stuff they use in there -- who knows if it would come out of my delicate nighties (OK, it's now time to admit I wear nothing but flannel PJs .... ). I wore a loose-fitting sundress and comfy slip-on shoes to the hospital and wore the same outfit to go home. I brought underwear but never needed them because I didn't have any discharge and I was wearing a binder, making underwear impractical.

Turned out this was all I used in the hospital: a small notebook and pen (to jot down questions for docs and to start my story), toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, body lotion, a People magazine (I could finally concentrate enough to glance through it on day 3) and a small light-up alarm clock for my hospital tray. Really -- that was all I used that I brought from home! By the time I could handle anything more complex than running the remote control and ordering food from room service, I wanted to be home.

That's just my experience, though. Other es have reported using makeup, CD players, and any number of other things in the castle -- but that's just not my thing at all. But we're all different.

I think you should take whatever you feel you need. You can always take it all and leave some in the car to be brought to you later if necessary. And the hospital will most likely have carts to wheel around your belongings. My very best to you as you make your final preparations for your castle visit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register