Please Help - Lots of questions about upcoming TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please Help - Lots of questions about upcoming TVH Please Help - Lots of questions about upcoming TVH

Unread 01-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Please Help

I have no idea where to begin. I am scheduled to have a Total Vaginal Hysterectomy on January 4 2006. I have som many questions to ask. Like...
Where do you get cut?
How long of a hospital stay do you have? (I was told 23 hours for observation but this seems odd to me)
Is the recovery very painful?
How long should I expect to be out of work? (I am a Construction Company's Office Manager)
How long should I arrange for someone to be there to help at home?
Please help me of you can....Thank you so much in advance
I AM SO SCARED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Please Help - Lots of questions about upcoming TVH

Hi aliciaking and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community! Until some members who had the same type of surgery come along to share their thoughts and experiences with you, I suggest you do some reading in the following:

Pre-Op Checkpoints

Checkpoints was designed to accompany members through "the hysterectomy experience" from start to finish...and beyond! I think you will find answers to a lot of your questions there.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 01-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Tvh

Well, I will try to answer some ?'s you might have. I had a TVH, BSO, Monarch sling and A & P repair. The only thing I really know is that you are having a TVH. Are you having any bladder slings? Anyway, I had to be cut inside at the bottom to repair a rectocele. If you are not having the done I am not sure on the cutting issue. I did not have any pain regarding the TVH, I bled only the first 12 hrs. or so. Then discharged for about 6 wks. My pain was from the rectocele repair, it was all in my butt. It was mostly pressure. I only took pain meds. for that for 2 days. Sitting can be an issue cause everyone has different pain issues. Sitting for long periods can hurt, the pressure and just gravity. If your Dr. tells you no work for 6 wks., take all the 6 wks. until cleared by your Dr. It felt like a vaginal birth, to me. Sore, but not extreme. A lot depends on you and how you take care of yourself. Hope some of this helps you. I stayed in the Hosp. for 36 hrs. from start to finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaking
I have no idea where to begin. I am scheduled to have a Total Vaginal Hysterectomy on January 4 2006. I have som many questions to ask. Like...
Where do you get cut?
How long of a hospital stay do you have? (I was told 23 hours for observation but this seems odd to me)
Is the recovery very painful?
How long should I expect to be out of work? (I am a Construction Company's Office Manager)
How long should I arrange for someone to be there to help at home?
Please help me of you can....Thank you so much in advance
I AM SO SCARED
Hi. This was MY personal experience with my tvh that was Dec 12. So, I'm 3 weeks post-op today.
I've learned from here that, the dr "frees" the uterus and cervix , and removes them through the vagina. Then reconnects tendons and veins etc. ,then closes the top of the vagina with stitches like a sock. Don't worry, it's secured to other things so it shouldn't invert. He leaves a "very small opening" for drainage. From the time I walked in to the hospital to the time I left it was 25 hours. It was uncomfortable, I had alot of back pain the first 12 hours or so, but they give you drugs that makes it better. It was not "too bad to handle". I am seeing the dr at 4 weeks, I imagine he'll tell me when I go back to work then. Yes, you need someone at home for at least the first week or two, because you will have many restrictions like no driving or lifting. Plus, you'll just feel like sleeping mostly until you don't need the pain meds anymore. I was sent home with 20 tylenol 3's and I used all but one. Today I'm "walkin" on air I feel sooo good! This has been MY experience, there's alot more to tell, if you want feel free to pm me for more detail, I don't mind sharing it at all! Take care.
Unread 01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Questions

I haven't had my surgery yet--it's Jan. 10--but I wanted to tell you I will be praying for you, that you will have some peace of mind beforehand. I'm scared too, believe me~~so the best thing we can do is pray. I can't help you otherwise, but prayer is the best! XO
Unread 01-03-2006, 04:57 AM

I agree with 24dupont, take the full 6 wks.I ended up taking 8 wks. due to my job being very phyiscal.I thought the pain right after surgery was quite bad, but a nurse was right there to take care of it all and i was up and walking by that night.(with help of course)I used my pain pills for 2 days, and felt great afterwards.I would have a bad day here and there, but nothing to extreme.Be careful though, I started feeling really great a few wks. out and started doing little things around the house and started to bleed.The doc. made me stay bed ridden for a few days till the bleeding stopped.If you can have someone come by & check on you once a day that would be a good idea.
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:44 AM

I am having a TAH on the 6th. I will be thinking of you on the 4th.
Take care of yourself. Hugs.
Kimberly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register