I'm A Teacher, What do I tell my class? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm A Teacher, What do I tell my class? I'm A Teacher, What do I tell my class?

Unread 01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm A Teacher, What do I tell my class?

Hello fellow teachers,
I teach first grade and I have to leave my class for 6 weeks. How can I reassure them without telling them more than they need to know? Any books about going to the hospital that might help?

Missbehavior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 06:33 PM

Tell them you are going for an operation and that drs and nurses are nice people and they will take good care of you. Or, you can just tell them you are going away for awhile. That's "to the point" without confusing them, or "angering" any parents who may not want their kids to know so much yet. I'm sorry, I'm not a teacher, but when my child was in first grade, we had a "situation" that was created by the school that was for "much older kids" to deal with. Although one can appreciate your concern for your students! You sound like a good teacher!
Unread 01-02-2006, 06:55 PM

I personally would not tell them you are having sx, as this might frighten them. My daughter was scared that I might die she said that some people die from having sx and was really worried until she saw me that night in the hospital, and was not very happy while I was gone for 2 days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 07:11 PM

I told my second graders that I was having surgery. I played it down as no big deal. I also sent a letter home to the parents. They took it well. My sub got me a gift certificate from my class. I sent them a thank you card. She said that they did real well.
Unread 01-02-2006, 07:35 PM

Missbehavior.................I love your "username"!
Unread 01-02-2006, 08:00 PM

I teach middle school and I told my class I would be out for six weeks because I needed surgery. And I left it at that. One kid asked what kind of surgery and another kid piped up right away and said, "God, don't be so nosy!" They seemed satisfied with that simple statement. Good luck!
Unread 01-03-2006, 04:22 AM

Meatball,
Thanks! My friend and I have knicknames for each other. She's usually Missbehavior and I'm ususally Dragonlady. . . but there is already a Hyster sister with that name! I'd love to hear from her to trade stories of how we each got the name! LOL! How did you come up with Meatball?
Missbehavior
Unread 01-03-2006, 05:21 AM

My SIL teaches1st grade, and when she had her TAH in November, she told the kids she was having an operation, and that she would be gone for a few weeks. Her sub made a " countdown to Miss G's return" and the kid are looking forward to her return. When she was up and around she surprised them one afternoon by popping in with a little treat for each of them. They were excited to see her and I think it helped her too! I think sending a general letter ( no need to tell what kind of surgery) to parents is a good idea, that way they can head off any fears or questions. Good Luck to you, 's
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missbehavior
Meatball,
Thanks! My friend and I have knicknames for each other. She's usually Missbehavior and I'm ususally Dragonlady. . . but there is already a Hyster sister with that name! I'd love to hear from her to trade stories of how we each got the name! LOL! How did you come up with Meatball?
Missbehavior
Alot of the "usernames" I wanted were also taken. But, I got the name "meatball" from my dh when we were dating! He used to give me all kinds of "cute" names! I will add that it does not reflect what I look like! (I've been asked that question before)
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:52 AM

I teach 6-7 year olds (not sure what grade you call that?), I told them I was going to hospital and that I would be off school until after Christmas. I told them at the end of my last day and kept it upbeat and simple. They were more concerned that I'd miss the play we had just started rehearsing. Parents had a letter from the head explaining I had a date for surgery and who would be taking the class in my absence. Since then it has leaked as to what type of surgery- bless them, some parents were very concerned it was more serious than it was, so the supply teacher, very good and well known in the school, judged it best to let them know which was what I'd discussed with her before I left- only talk in details if needs be. Oh yes, just remembered, some children were keen to share that daddy (or whoever) had also been to hospital and why. I was glad it turned on them to be honest. It was all simpler than I thought it would be.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register