I'm A Teacher, What do I tell my class? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm A Teacher, What do I tell my class? I'm A Teacher, What do I tell my class?

Unread 01-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm A Teacher, What do I tell my class?

Dear Missbehavior,

I am a fellow teacher also. I teach second, third and fourth grade gifted and talented reading and math. I simply told my students that I would be having surgery and out of the classroom for 4 - 6 weeks. They were concerned but I downplayed the operation. I actually had surgery twice (two different school years) because I had a bilateral salpingo oophorectomy first and then nine months later had a TVH. Since I teach three grades of gifted students, I have the students for three years in a row. Therefore, most of the students were in my classes when I had both surgeries. When I returned both times they were very glad to see me and helped me in any way they could. Your students are young and generally quite resilient at that age. They'll do great. Best of luck to you!! Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2006, 08:26 PM

I think telling them you have some busness to take care of and you will be back in 6 weeks is fine. I wouldn't want my childs first grade teacher going into detail about surgery of any kind. This is not a concern of a first grader. The teachers personal business does not belong in the classroom. You are there to teach. Some children have enough stress in their lives without being worried about the teacher too. The first grade teacher is like a kindergarten teacher. Universally loved and remembered for life.
Unread 01-03-2006, 09:37 PM

I had to reply because I dealt with this very subject (and probably posted a couple of years ago as well). At the time of my surgery I taught jr. high and my teaching partner had just been diagnosed with breast cancer. I knew our students would be upset that both of us would be gone, so I announced two days prior to my last before the leave that we were having a Chirstmas party. They asked why it was early and I said that I needed an operation, had found the very best doctor and would be back to celebrate Valentine's Day with them. The boys cried, that I was not ready for! I now teach kindergarten, if it was this group I would probably enlist the help of a partner teacher or my wonderful principal to explain just the necessary facts - I need doctors and nurses to help me get better and mark a day on the calender designating my return. Good luck to you. Your students are blessed to have you as their teacher!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 04:05 AM
Teacher Says Thanks!

To all my new "sisters" who replied to "I'm, a Teacher, What do I tell my class?",
Thank you for your help! I wrote a letter to the parents telling them that I will be on a medical leave for 6 weeks. I explained that I hand picked my substitute and that she was excited to take over for me. (She is also my neighbor and good friend--how great is that!)
I told the students at the end of the day yesterday that I was going to be out of school for 6 weeks and that I was going to introduce them to their new teacher on Wednesday,(today!)
Children are great, they didn't ask any questions about why???, they just wanted to make sure that I got someone nice to take care of them while I was away. My substitute and I will teach together through Friday and then she will start the six weeks for me on Monday.
I really appreciate hearing from all of you. I feel less stressed and worried knowing that I have people who have been through this and care!
Thanks again!
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:15 AM

my DD's 1st gr teacher was out for about 10 weeks. We got the letter from her letting us know that she was having surgery, and the who the sub was,,, (she was a 6th gr. teacher when I was in school) we were so grateful for her, she was awesome.
I had heard wonderful things about the 1st gr teacher, but after meeting her I wasn't sure, she kept calling me and telling me weird stuff about my DD's behavior, I asked her if my DD was being mean or agressive and it was like she didn't even remember why she had called. We had a few more incidences after that with her not being so nice to the kids, and other parents were getting concerned. She left for her leave, no one knew why, and when she finally came back she was totally different. She was the teacher everyone had bragged about. At the last teacher conference I stepped over the line and asked her if she had had a hyst. She asked how I knew, and I told her that it was the only explanation for the split personality. I told her I was sorry for being so irritated with her and could relate the the emotional instability she must have been feeling, and that I wish I had noticed earlier how much pain she was in. She cried, and said it was a very hard decision for her because she was so young, also she was angry. The docs had been sure it was cancer, but when they were done she didn't have it. I'm glad to know that it wasn't just that she didn't like my DD, she didn't like anyone at the time!!!!! I can totally relate to her feeling right now.
I wouldn't want to share so much personal info with parents if I was a teacher either, but wish I had known how scared she was, I probably wouldn't have gotten so angry with her before her op.
I saw her last month and she looked wonderful and assured me all was great in her world, and that she was happy with her outcome. My son could possibly have her next year, and now I don't think I would mind that at all.
Thanks to all those teachers out there, I don't know how you do it!!!!
Donna
Unread 01-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Thank you from Missbehavior!

To all who helped me decide what to tell my first graders. . .
THANK YOU!
I told them that I would be "out of school" for 6 weeks and that I picked out their substitute personally. I introduced my temporary replacement the next day and we'll be co-teaching for my last few days in school. I wrote to the parents and let them know I'd be out on a "medical leave." (It's a small school, I'm sure the word will get around. . . but I won't have to explain to all where I am and why I'm recovering.)
Thanks again my new found "sisters."

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register