Do we really need progesterone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do we really need progesterone? Do we really need progesterone?

Unread 01-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Do we really need progesterone?

If I had a LAVH and have no ovaries is there any benefit to using progesterone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 07:55 PM

Some ladies do well on it. I used progesterone cream prior to my hyst and ovaries and it worked for me. I found that after my surgery progesterone did not help me. It might have something to do with the ovaries not being there . I suppose you can try some and see how you do.

Here is a link to the Hormone Articles on progesterone:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97232.htm

s
Unread 01-02-2006, 08:41 PM

Are you still have symptoms after getting your estrogen at a good level? For some of us, even after getting our estrogen at a good level we still have problems. For me it was brain fog and insomnia. After adding progesterone to my HRT, those symptoms went away within days. So to answer your question, some of us need it, others do fine on just estrogen alone. It is an individual thing and you have to find out what works best for YOU. Goodluck.

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ23
Some ladies do well on it. I used progesterone cream prior to my hyst and ovaries and it worked for me. I found that after my surgery progesterone did not help me. It might have something to do with the ovaries not being there . I suppose you can try some and see how you do.

Here is a link to the Hormone Articles on progesterone:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97232.htm

s

Thanx Suzy~ that article is very helpful.
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:50 PM

Jackie have you noticed any bad side effects from the prog.? such as weight gain or acne? whenever I try the progesterone I break out like a high schooler.
Unread 01-07-2006, 05:46 PM
progesterone

Cherrykitty
Are you taking oral progesterone or cream. I am on the compounded cream and find the break outs are minimal and I feel a lot better and it is worth a few pimples to feel like me again
Unread 01-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monardia
Cherrykitty
Are you taking oral progesterone or cream. I am on the compounded cream and find the break outs are minimal and I feel a lot better and it is worth a few pimples to feel like me again

I take a compounded capsule, but now I am figuring out it's the estrogen causing the acne not the progesterone. How does the progesterone make you feel? do you still have your ovaries?
Unread 01-07-2006, 07:28 PM

Cherrykitty,
Sorry to take a few days to answer your question...you asked if I had any side effects. I am using the bio identical form of progesterone called Prometrium (oral). I can't tell you about the weight gain since I have been exercising and somewhat dieting since my surgery one year ago and have lost 30 pounds. As far as the acne, no I've not experienced that...I've had only good things happen with the progesterone, like getting rid of the insomnia and brain fog. But as you've heard before, we are all different.

Jackie
Unread 01-07-2006, 08:30 PM
progesterone

Cherrykitty
I had everything removed and was put on oral estrogen and then estrotest, my body doesn't process the pills very well and I was experiencing severe symptoms and my doctors were anything but helpful so I found a compounding pharmacist thru this site and he recommended several doctors. I first was put on estrogen cream , then had the testosterone added and then finally the progesterone. That was the final key for me that made my life normal again. I feel like my old self again ( even better cuz no more periods to drain me either). I haven't had any side affects that I have noticed either. Good luck
Unread 01-08-2006, 02:52 PM

I had never taken progesterone in all the years following my hysto. The Gyn i'm seeing thought it woud be good to try it after i got my estrogen balanced. i like it very much. It seems to help me sleep and feel generally more relaxed. I find that I cannot exceed 40mg a day or I have side effects. There are several good books out that discuss it and it's use. I really liked these books:
The Wisdom of menopause by Christiane Northrup
The sexy years by Suzzane Somers
What your doctor may not have told you about menopause by Dr. Lee
Sudden menopause by Bebbie DeAngelo
The Hormone Solution by Erika schwartz(she reccomends 200 mg a day of topical progesterone. I wrote her about that b/c it is a higher dose than I usually see advised. She said something about a 5000 patient study that proved that dose was the best dose.

No shortage of info on the net about it.
I do see that the doctors who write these books disagree on how much and how long to use it.
If you have a doc who knows you and you trust, talk with him about this or ask the pharmacist for a doctor who uses bio-identical hormones. Even then, docs vary in opinion about whether women need to use supplmental progesterone.
I feel much better on it, I can leep better and think more clearly.
Vali

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register