26 yr. old having LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

26 yr. old having LAVH 26 yr. old having LAVH

Unread 01-02-2006, 10:54 PM
26 yr. old having LAVH

This is a fabulous resource! Just turned 26 a few weeks ago and have been enduring the pain of endo for 8+ years now. Been to numerous docs. who made me feel like it was in my head. Did the med. thing and here I am, 1 month post-op of a laprascopy, hysteroscopy, cystoscopy & d & c, and I'm back to where I started. I am so glad that I found this site, it has really helped me and my hubby of 5 years through this battle. I don't know if I am more worried about my 3 yr. old & 8 yr. old or my hubby coping.

I do have a question though, my washer and office are located downstairs, and am wondering when is the "advisable" to handle stairs? I've heard it all and was wondering. I will of course check with my doc. but have 3 weeks until the big day.....

LAVH scheduled January 19th..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 11:21 PM
26 yr. old having LAVH

Hi,
I had TVH BSO 6 weeks ago and stairs were ok for me after about 3 weeks. I think alot of the princessess that mention stairs have had TAH. Abdonimal surgery does have differences.
I think that your idea of checking with the doc is the best thing to do.

Good luck
Cassandra
Unread 01-02-2006, 11:41 PM
26 yr. old having LAVH

Thanks so much. I have so many questions and am so curious, anxious, nervous, you name it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2006, 12:11 AM
26 yr. old having LAVH

I am also 26 and had a TAH/BSO for endometriosis. I live alone and at that time was in a 2-story triplex, kitchen, laundry, and living room downstairs, bedroom and bathroom upstairs. I was in the hospital for 5 days, and by the time I got home the stairs were fine. I didn't carry anything up or down them (other than the occassional cup of something to drink or toast), and I held on to the rail to support myself and help use my arms for the steps more than my abdominal muscles. I only went up and down them 3 or 4 times a day. I wouldn't suggest going up and down them every hour or ever trying to carry anything heavy for a while (until you're cleared by your doctor), but it shouldn't be too big a deal.

I learned a lesson: if your stairs are carpeted (like mine), make sure you wear either shoes or slippers with a good grippy bottom when going on the stairs. I usually did it only in socks, but after my food slipped and I felt tons of pain while trying to stop myself, I made sure I always wore my slippers after that.
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:17 AM
26 yr. old having LAVH

Do ask your dr for a list of can and can nots. Each dr has different orders depending on you, your procedure, his/her own experience from previous patients, etc. Best wishes to you. I am sorry for all of your endo issues and that you have to have a hyst so young.
Unread 01-03-2006, 08:00 AM
26 yr. old having LAVH

I had LAVH and I could manage the stairs as soon as I was home- on the third day following surgery. I didn't (and still don't) carry anything of any real weight- I carry laundry in small amounts or get DH or DD to carry for me. The worse thing for me has been getting down properly to pick up even the lightest thing like a pencil or piece of paper- I realy have to remind myself. I had a physio visit in hospital who outlined what I could and couldn't do.
Unread 01-03-2006, 08:37 AM
26 yr. old having LAVH

I did stairs the 4th day after surgery, and I had my knee scoped at the same time. Bothered my knee a bit, but nothing else.
Unread 01-03-2006, 09:30 AM
26 yr. old having LAVH

I managed the stairs the day after surgery, but limited it to 1 down and 1 up for the first couple of days. I was slower than a snail and really hung onto the rail.....
Unread 01-03-2006, 02:08 PM
26 yr. old having LAVH

Our home is a 2 storey, so I did stairs right away. Not too much mind you, but it wasn't a bother at all. Come to think of it, not many things were!
Unread 01-03-2006, 02:27 PM
26 yr. old having LAVH

Hi worknwomn3,

I did stairs my first day home, because I HAD to. I walked up and down backwards so as not to use my abdominal muscles. I held on to the railing. I had someone walk a couple of steps below me to help me if I lost my balance. The worst thing about the stairs is the possibility of falling down them and the damage you can do internally. By one week, I was taking the stairs slowly by myself, and by 2 weeks, I was walking up and down as needed.

You should not be doing laundry until your Dr releases you to do so. You should stay out of your office until your Dr releases you to. It takes most of us at least 6 weeks before our Drs think about releasing us for those activities.

It is very important that you take the time you need to heal. Your main concern should be , , and short . Overdoing it can cause your recovery to take longer and give you more pain.

Just because there are those who have been able to do things early, doesn't mean it is the wise thing to do.

I wish you the best and easiest recovery. Have you checked out the Hysterectomy Checkpoints section of this site? It offers some very good guidelines to follow for activities.

Finally, Always follow your Dr's orders

s,
Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register