Estrogen pills or Estratest pills? Anyone on either of these? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estrogen pills or Estratest pills? Anyone on either of these? Estrogen pills or Estratest pills? Anyone on either of these?

Unread 01-03-2006, 01:33 AM
Estrogen pills or Estratest pills? Anyone on either of these?

I am getting ready to have an exploratory Laparotomy and RSO on friday due to a large complex mass they believe is an endometrioma and various other endometriosis adhesions. My doc says he will put me on estrogen before I wake up via shot and then start estrogen pills. He thinks I will do well on that. I asked him what if my sex drive goes kaput and he said he would do Estratest. I guess it's estrogen and testosterone. He says progesterone can have all kinds of bad side affects so thats the route he would pursue. Is anyone taking either of these? Results?Advice? Anything helps. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 08:12 AM

Hi!

It's good that you are asking questions!

Estratest is a combination of esterified estrogens and methyltestosterone. It works well for some women but it's not for everyone. Often the problem is that the ratio of estrogen to testosterone is wrong and there is no way to adjust one component of the combination. I started out on Estratest HS (Half Strength) but switched to bio-identicals before the end of my first year. When I started using compounded testosterone, I used it daily. After it built up in my system I was able to cut way back and now use it twice a week at most.

With a diagnosis of endometriosis, I'm surprised your doctor is opposed to the use of progesterone. My understanding is that progesterone (or progestin, a synthetic progesterone) can counteract the effects of estrogen on endo. Some doctors don't even start patients on estrogen therapy immediately after surgery. Instead, they withhold hormones for a period of time to allow the endo time to die off. (Endo feeds on estrogen.)

I think it would be a good idea to discuss your hormone therapy further with your doctor. Endo can be microscopic and can be attached to other organs. You can read more about endometriosis in the Resource Database in the section titled Road Less Traveled: Endo - Adeno.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery! The Ovaries Only? message board will be a great place for you to post for support as you recover from surgery.

I'm sending s
Unread 01-04-2006, 09:05 AM

kittenchloe, I take Estratest. Started half strength after surgery for a week, still was crying a lot and having hot flashes. Upped me to full strength and I feel great! I just posted on here yesterday wanting to know if anyone else took this and how they liked it. I still have a sex drive even though I have to hold my breath for 2 more weeks! I know there are a lot of mixed feelings about hrt but I talked to 2 doctors about it and I discovered I can't function with out it so I am not afraid of it. Mentally I feel normal (whatever the heck that is) like b4 my hyst, just now my body is pain free and blood free! I have only been on it for 4 weeks but I haven't had the weight gain that sometimes occurs either. Good luck and lots of hugs. Keri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 09:19 AM

I woke up with an estrogen patch after my TAH/BSO, and used estrogen alone (Vivelle dot) until about 3 mos. after my surgery, at which time I firmly believed I had used up all the hormones stored in my body. I started feeling pretty lousy, so I discussed it with my Gyn and tried some new stuff. I tried just Cenestin (another form of estrogen, oral) and then Estratest HS. I noticed an IMMEDIATE improvement (mostly mood wise) on the Estratest which I attribute to the testosterone but was still having trouble sleeping. At the next visit, doc and I decided I would go back to the Vivelle patch as a "baseline" of estrogen and use the Estratest on top of it for testosterone and a little extra estrogen (from personal experience, I get much less effect from the oral than the transdermal) but the combined effect seems to be working well for me. I can't chime in on the progesterone issue - I'm not taking it and probably won't - my surgery was done due to a strong family history of ovarian cancer and I want to avoid anything possible that feeds estrogen dependent cancer, and I think that's a good case for me not taking progesterone.

As for the sex drive - in my experience one's attitude has a lot to do with that. If you think about it - yoursex drive is largely driven by your thinking self. As long as you have enough hormones to make your body feel reasonably the same as pre-op, it will follow.

I've also heard that your other ovary can take over the production of enough hormones for your needs...... good luck!
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks

I appreciate the input. After this surgery I will not have anything left. They took my other ovary when they did my hyst last year and I'm only 33 so hormones are a definite for me. I was also confused about the progesterone issue with my doc but he says the cancer and heart disease and other side effects are too dangerous to start there. If I absulutely need it I will get it, I have a way with that kind of thing but I figure I will try it his way first. I think he is startting me on estrogen right away because after I had my hyst I went in to a huge anger/depression phase until my ovary got back online and no one especially me and my DH wants to see that happen again. I have heard that about endo though so it concerns me. They think it is on my bowel and various other places so we will see how bad it is day after tomorrow. Wow, that's really scary! I am definitely scared of this whole thing! Thanks for writting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register