Difference between uterine & endometrial cancers? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Difference between uterine & endometrial cancers? Difference between uterine & endometrial cancers?

Unread 01-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Difference between uterine & endometrial cancers?

I had my LAVH & BSO on November 23rd & the final staging was 1b, grade2 with no further treatment needed. The doctor said the tumor was contained in the uterus with no spread, lymph nodes tested negative & no further treatment was required. I will be followed every three months the first year & then have a CT scan at one year, followed by the usual check-ups for the next five years. I'm grateful for the outcome but still nervous over what I've been hearing about recurence. However I'm still confused over the difference between endometrial & uterine cancer. Doctor told my family uterine cancer but pre-op I was told endometrial. Is there a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2006, 07:25 PM

I was confused about endometrial vs. uterine cancer at first, too. My understanding is that endometrial cancer is a type of uterine cancer (cancer of the uterine lining). The other type of uterine cancer is uterine sarcoma which Jan (Jads) explained - it's usually more serious. So while it's not wrong to say that you have uterine cancer, the term endometrial cancer is more specific.

I find that if I have to tell someone (not in the medical field) that I have cancer, I say it's endometrial, but then explain it's a cancer of the uterus. A lot of people won't know what "endometrial" means but if you say cancer of the uterus, then they understand. That's probably why your doctor told your family is was "uterine."

I have read that grade 1 endometrial adenocarcinoma is the most curable of the uterine cancers, so that's a good thing!

Louise
Unread 01-02-2006, 07:51 PM

I think that endometrial cancer used to be called uterine cancer until diagnoses and research became more specific to origins of the disease, that is did the tumor start in the inner (endometrium) or outer part of the uterus.

Mori, I hear you about scaring yourself reading up on cancer. The more I've read about other gyne cancers, the more thankful I am to have had endometrial and had it caught early. My GYN/ONC went straight to aggressive surgical treatment including lymph node sampling to see if there was any spread. Although no further treatment is required, I still have my GYN follow-ups plus concerns of recurrence.

Now I feel it's important to look forward and try not to thin about the "low risk of recurrence" happening to me. After all, I'm not anywhere near the typical profile of an endo cancer patient - the ONC said it was "bad luck"....

Cheers and here's to healthy futures for us all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2006, 07:02 AM

Mori,

If you take a look at the two diagrams of a uterus on the link below, you will see that the uterus is made up of three layers: the inner layer or endometrium, the middle layer or myometrium (which is the muscle wall of the uterus), and the outer layer or serosa.

http://www.fibroids.net/html/anatomy.htm

Endometrial cancer begins in the inner layer or endometrium. For the most part uterine sarcomas develop in the myometrium, or uterine muscle wall.

Both are correctly referred to as uterine cancer, because both develop in the uterus. However, the cancer that starts in the endometrium of the uterus is commonly referred to as endometrial cancer to distinguish this type of cancer from uterine sarcoma. Most uterine cancer (approximately 95%) is endometrial cancer.

MoeKay
Unread 01-04-2006, 03:01 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was getting a little confued. Also thanks for the link.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register