New here, surgery scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here, surgery scheduled New here, surgery scheduled

Unread 01-03-2006, 08:50 PM
New here, surgery scheduled

Hi all,

Great site, I'm so glad I found this. I guess I'm a 'lady in waiting', my hysterectomy is scheduled for April 4th... and I have a LOT of reading to do between now and then

I am 36 yrs old and have severe endometriosis. I've been dealing with endo for over half my life, and I don't want to play anymore. I have a beautiful 7yr old daughter who took 5 years and a great deal of infertility treatment to conceive (and 42.5 weeks, 26 hours of labour and a c-section to deliver, thankyouvermuch ) I have 2 blocked tubes and 0% chance of conceiving again without IVF, which would be a very low success rate in my case...plus, my husband is 48, so we are done in the family department.

My husband and I met with the surgeon last week and he told us I'm not a candidate for a partial due to both ovaries being cystic, nor am I a candidate for laparoscopic surgery due to the extensive scar tissue, he feels it would be 'safer' to do a full abdominal. So, uterus, tubes and ovaries are coming out.. no mention of the cervix though. I'm sure there's a proper abbreviation for all this but I haven't got that down yet, lol.

I'm not sure what my HRT choices will be, but he mentioned I will need some due to my age. I have some homework to do in that department... I've had a taste of menopause during a 6 month Lupron treatment back in my infertility days. That was fun, NOT. I remember all too well what hot flashes feel like.

So, I'm feeling good about this. I've been living in chronic pain for a long time, and I'm down to 2 pain-free weeks a month. I'm looking forward to an improved quality of life.

My biggest concern is the downtime with the recovery. I'm a workaholic and do NOT do idle mode well at all. I was back to work 2 weeks after a c-section, but my husband has threatened to tie me to the bed if I even think about going to the office before 4 weeks. What the heck am I going to do at home for 4 weeks?

Anyway, I just wanted to get my feet wet and introduce myself. I look forward to reading all the info and posts this site has to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2006, 10:30 PM

Welcome to the site! It is a great place to learn about your upcoming surgery and meet some really neat people. I also had my surgery booked way out. It's hard to believe it is getting closer (ugh 22 days).! Take care and hope to see you on the other side. I am having a LAVH...leaving ovaries but everything else is going. God's blessings!
Unread 01-04-2006, 03:32 AM

Welcome! This is a wonderful site.

I had a TAH/BSO 2 years ago and wish I had done it alot sooner. I had fun shopping and planning before my surgery, buying movies, books, sweatpants, magazines, etc. to keep me occupied. Don't forget to get a small "tummy pillow" and I found a grabber (picker upper thing) was a big help. God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 06:19 AM

Welcome to the Hystersisters! Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery. Wow I thought I had a long time to wait....my surgery is January 23rd. What a patient person you are to wait until April. I wish you a uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. Take good care before and after surgery! Melanie
Unread 01-04-2006, 06:38 AM

Welcome new sister! I'm also 36, still waiting for a date, grr.. I didn't have much of a chance for anymore pregnancies but have a DD and DS. that was my prayers answered and I won't ask for more.
You really need to check out the info on adhesions and scarring. The biggest cause is doing too much after surgery. Your best outcome for no more scarring is to take it easy the first 8 weeks!!! There is no other option, the more you push yourself the higher the risk. I truly believe thats what caused my issues a year after my c-sect. We were building a house, had a 3 yr old, new born, and step DD moved in. I was constantly on the go and never had any time to heal, I will not make that mistake again. I have a job that is not physically demanding, but I'm constantly up and down looking for files, mail etc.I work with my 83 yr old dad whos getting slower, and he can't use the pc without a little coaxing. We can't afford to pay anyone else to help, so I hope I will be at least up to sitting on the couch with my pc for a few weeks. Luckily the office phone also rings at my house and everything I need can be retrieved by the phone and pc.
I had the lupron shots myself and didn't have any major side effects, I remember being warm, but it wasn't unbearable, but I too will have to have some very low dose of HRT. Doc said it was needed especially for bones. I've made my new list of questions for doc concerning multi vitamins for women in menopause, and maybey some extra calcium just to make sure.
Keep reading the posts, and ask as many questions as you need to, (no matter how personal they are) . Check out the hormone jungle too, the ladies are very informative.
Glad you found this site, it has helped with all my anxiety, and my doc was very impressed with how much I knew, and the extent of my questions. I referred her to the site, it could be useful to other women in our conditions.
Peace and health to you,
Donna
Unread 01-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Welcome

I will be 36 this year too, and I also have endometriosis on my ovaries and bladder wall mainly, but wil have a TAH as well......I am nervous, but can't wait to be pain free!!!!! Read all you can on this site, the woman here are wonderful!!!!! Although I have close family and friends, here I feel like I have a million sisters!!!! God Bless, and see you in post-op when we are all finished!!!!!!
Feel free to private message me if you have any questions!!!!
Thoughts and prayers,
Barb
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:53 AM
waiting with you...

I too am 36 and my surgery is scheduled for March. Guess we'll be waiting and learning together! I love this site, all the information you would never get anywhere else, things you probably would never think to ask. I tend to be obsessive about things until I know EVERYTHING possible, thank goodness for the hsytersisters!
Unread 01-04-2006, 04:21 PM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome

I suppose April is still pretty 'out there', I actually could have got in in February but pushed it out, my dh is working between Canada and the US right now and his schedule will be a bit erratic for the first quarter. I figured April would be a safe month to ensure he's home for more than a couple weeks at a time

Ah well, I've been putting this off for 5 years, I suppose another couple months won't kill me. I bought a value pack of pads (4 packages) the other day and laughed that would be my last pad purchase... ever!

I really look forward to gathering lots of information and reading everyone else's experience and advice.

Thanks again!
Unread 01-04-2006, 04:28 PM

Hey, welcome. I had over 4 months to prepare myself! By the time my surgery came I could not have been more prepared! I think I knew more than my doc! Seriously though, it all went very well for me, and I was not "freaked" by alot of stuff because I WAS informed! I knew what to expect, and what to ask, in terms of the pre-op, and hospital, etc. I agree, do some research on the hrt, and everything else too. If you have any questions, just ask! We're ALL here for each other! Good luck!
Unread 01-04-2006, 06:50 PM

I just became a member today at 7:30. I,m 31 have 4 lovely children, and found out right before Thanksgiving that I needed a hysterectomy. I had a laporoscopy on Dec. 1 adenomyosis is what I have. I cannot take any hormone treatments, as it causes swelling of the brain. My only option is removing my womb.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register