Please help me!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help me!! Please help me!!

Unread 01-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Please help me!!

I am going into hospital for my TAH on the 12th january and i have some many questions to ask, what do i take with me? What not to take with me? What questions should i ask the surgeon when he comes to see me before? Will i need to shave, because if i do i would rather do that at home and not in hospital? What will i be like after the op? Will haveing the cathater taken out hurt? What can i expect when i get home? My husband is excellent he is making all sorts of plans and he has told me that there is no way he'll let me do to much. Since the doctors have told me what they want to do i have been walking around like a zombie and i seem to snap at people quickly aswell, is that normal?

I am just so scared ladies and i dont mind admitting it either, This is the biggest op i have ever had, i've had ablations and coils inserted and they never bothered me like this is.

Will my children be ok when i'm not at home, i have 2 disabled children and one girl who is fine.

I dont have family around me so i am sorry if i am asking all sorts of questions. Also what can i expect after the op?

thanks

june elvidge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Please help me!!

There are areas in this site that can tell you what to take. (someone more knowledgeable will post this) ; )

They gave me a 'buzz' cut while I was out.

Catheter did not bother me at all when they took it out.

Everyone is different when they come out of surgery, I was told I was out of it. ; ) Be sure to use your morphine drip if you have one. This didn't bother me at all, but some it does.

You will need to rest when you get home, and be sure to take your pain pills every 4-6 hours like they say. That helped me a lot.

Being scared and nervous is totally normal. Try to relax(easy to say I know)

Keep reading here, it will tell you everything you need to know and more! Good luck to you.
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Please help me!!

Best wishes to you!!!! I am going on the 12th too!!!! My best advice to you right now (as I am as nervous as you) is to read all that you can on this site and if you can get it before your surgery, get the book here called Through the Land of Hyster!!!!!! Both have helped me a great deal!!! Feel free to private message me if you would like!!!
Best wishes and hugs,
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Please help me!!

Hi June, I went in for my TAH on 13th Jan last year and reading your post reminded me of how nervous I was beforehand. I had similar questions too. Reading all the great info on this site helped somewhat but I was still sick with worry the night before. In the event it all went absolutely fine. I went in to hospital the day before and saw the doctor who answered all my questions. (write a list so you don't forget any) There was no bed for me so I was able to go home and come in the next morning having shaved and showered myself. The morphine drip was great and I was able to get out of bed the next day and even went to the dining room for something to eat in the evening. Catheter coming out was no problem. The most tiring thing was the visitors so I would advise you to ask people to see you when you get home. I did a really good clean at home before going in to hospital and then didn't worry about housework when I got home. We wore creased clothes for a few months! Rest is really important so you will need to ask for help with your children when you get back. I don't know if you could get a home help for a while? Take painkillers regularly for as long as advised - it's easier to prevent pain in advance than cure it once it takes hold. I went out to the supermarket on day 6 and got very tired just walking around. When I rested I felt fine but as soon as I started to do anything I would get really tired and this went on for about 3 or 4 months getting better all the time. I took a good multivitamin too. Also you need to drink plenty of water as bowel movements can be very painful post op - which was a surprise to me. I took toilet cleansing wipes into hospital to clean the loo seat so I could go and have a long sit with my book.
One year on I am feeling fantastic and wish I had had the op years ago. It has been like a new lease of life for me. People told me it would be like that but I didn't believe it. Hope all goes well for you. I will be thinking about you on the 12th. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Annie
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Please help me!!

This is a great site to answer all your questions.

I had a TVH on 12/6th and I feel really good. I was able to keep my ovaries. I had a discussion with my doctor at my pre-op appointment and she answered all my questions.

I took the following items to the hospital:

Gas-X (never needed to use it), robe, slippers, toothpaste/toothbrush, brush-ups (because I couldn't get out of bed for 24 hours), back loofa (never used it as I was only at the castle for 2 days), panty liners (never had to use them - didn't have any discharge). I used the designer gowns that were provided.

I had a brazilian wax done. I would suggest asking if you can shave at home. I have read about some surgeries being cancelled because they don't want to risk the chance of infection if you do it yourself.

The cath went in during surgery and it didn't hurt at all when it came out. I was packed and the packing and the cath came out at the same time.

I was very tired for the first 2 weeks. I'm guessing you might be sore and tired longer because of your abdominal incission.

Best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register