Has anyone else had their ureter tied off and lost the kidney as a result? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone else had their ureter tied off and lost the kidney as a result? Has anyone else had their ureter tied off and lost the kidney as a result?

Unread 01-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Tied off ureter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardancer
Hi, was speaking of common uterine fibroid
possibly laying on the uterer.
How did your docs manage to "tie off" the uterer??
/Sounds like sabotage!
Leigh
I had fibroids also, but none laying on ureter. The ureters and the fallopian tubes are side by side, so in reinforcing and stitching the bladder, a stitch was wrapped around the ureter and went undiagnosed until it was too late. It is actually quite common, but it is usually caught in time to save the kidney. I don't know about sabotage, but doc was in a foul mood the morning of surgery - yelled at the nurse for giving me something to help me relax. (Kind of yelled at me too...)
oh well...
Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2006, 05:55 AM
Has anyone else had their ureter tied off and lost the kidney as a result?

Hi,
One week after having my hysterectomy I had terrible pain on my left side. After an x-ray it was revealed that my left kidney did have a blockage in the ureter and was not working. I immediately went back in for a cath that was placed in my back directly in the kidney to allow the ureter to heal, a week later they placed a stint in the ureter. I had the cath for 8 weeks, the stint was bad, very uncomfortable but after the 8 week surgery to remove all the kidney was saved and is working great!
Unread 01-21-2006, 11:34 PM

I'm glad they got to yours in time. It is really shocking to know that the past two years of absolute emotional and physical hell were because of the bad kidney. You wouldn't believe the number of people who said I could just leave it in if it weren't causing me so much pain. I've already got kidney stones, which puts me at risk for this happening naturally; it caused hypertension which is...bad on the kidneys; and I know it was related to my weight gain and being hot all the time. I'm down from 149 to 122 - bam, just like that.

And I know about the stents!! In high school I had to have one in for a week and there was nothing worse - except for the reason it was put in in the first place (2 stones got stuck in the ureter, caused hydroureter)! I was always having to pee and almost never made it to the bathroom in time!!

I'm glad you are over your issues. I'm healing day by day and life is great, so whatcha gonna do?

Be well Sister!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2006, 09:10 AM

I love the picture of your pup! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your kidney, but am glad that you are doing well now! I am having an ultrasound today to check mine, but am not sure if my problems are from stones, endo regrowth, or anything else. In my case, I don't think it will end up as a result of the hyst surgery, and I'm hoping things can get fixed quickly without too much trouble. The good thing is that I didn't have protein or anything like that in my urine, but nobody has done bloodwork on me and the bad thing is that the doctor gave me a drug thinking I had a UTI and I have been really sick since I took it. It is one that you are not supposed to give to someone with kidney problems...of course, I didn't know I had one, but that is another story. I got so sick off one dose, that I didn't take anymore and am still trying to recover from it. Argh! Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register