pre-op shopping list? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op shopping list? pre-op shopping list?

Unread 01-05-2006, 05:13 PM
pre-op shopping list?

Have your pillow and stuff with the family, they will take it to your room before you arrive from recovery.

IV came out when the catheter did, no problem with clothing.

hope this helps.

privatei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2006, 05:51 PM
pre-op shopping list?

twelve weeks post op, many complications, stayed in the hospital for 5 days... here's my take on things I needed that others above might not have already told you:

I got a nice robe with "oriental-like" wide open sleeves-it was perfect because my iv slipped right through. Don't bother with pjs in the hospital if you are only going to be there a couple of days.

someone else had suggested hard candies for the nurses. I put them in a bowl and believe it or not, it was nice...they all knew I had them and kept "stopping by" to check on me :-)

LIP BALM... you will not be sorry you have it. Keep it by your bed. I took a travel toiletry bag and hung it from my bedside so I could get to "brushups, a travel size mouthwash, hand lotion, etc.)

slip on shoes-you will not want to try bending over to tie your shoes.

I wish I had bought the swelly belly. if I could do it all again, I would do that. Someone bought me a nice heavy bean bag thing I could put in the microwave. It stunk-but felt wonderful.

Hand help back massager would have been nice too-my back and the back of my legs hurt purely from lying around.

I bought the best softest blanket that I could bring with me from room to room. It was very comforting.

Chin up. When it's over, you won't regret it. I had so many complications I wondered why I did it in the first place. This many weeks later, I do need to exercise to get back into shape, but I feel better than I had in years.
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:05 PM
pre-op shopping list?

Thats a good idea to just wear your sleep pants there. I will know more tomorrow after my preop appts but I am hoping this is the type of hospital where you go to your room first and they get you from there, but it is probably the type where you go to the surgery center and later they take you to the room. Reason why it is a concern to me is my stuff. I won't have any family waiting for me and I doubt DH will come until that evening (he is on the liver transplant list and is stable right now which is why I am getting this done now). He will be wiped out just driving me down there and back home with the getting up so early. So I just now started thinking if I can't bring my nite bag that I can at least put the important stuff in my sweat pants until he is able to get there which generally goes into a bag onto the bottom of your transporting unit bed. Unfortunately the kids start back to college Monday but this was the soonest they could schedule this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 10:22 AM
pre-op shopping list?

I think the most important thing to think of is to bring stuff that will make your life easier and will make you feel better.
I really enjoyed my own shampoo and soap instead of the stuff they had there. Another really good item was a water-spray to use in your face when skin is being dehydrated.
I really enjoyed my nice slippers and robe, which made me feel myself and feminine instead of the very bland hospital ones.
I really also enjoyed a soft fresh body-mist, from Body Shop(Perfume is too heavy so body-mist with soft aromatic oils are perfect), to make me feel better. Hospitalbed-smell is not really improving your recovery.
If you loose your appetite you will also need a little bags of favorite treats. I had everything from chocolate and crackers to fruit and healthier stuff.
Feeling good makes recovery easier in my opinion...
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:22 PM
pre-op shopping list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoD
You might want some kind of bedside clock (with batteries) for the hospital. The clock in my room was behind me and while I was glad that I didn't have to watch the minutes crawl by I did want to know what time it was when I woke up in the middle of the night.
The clock in my room was straight across from my bed. My first night in the hospital I looked at it every hour when they woke me.
Unread 01-10-2006, 05:31 AM
pre-op shopping list?

My doctor suggested that I bring some kind of hard candy to suck on because you are typically on a liquid diet for a day or two and it tasted pretty good in my mouth. I took the Lifesavers Creme candy. She though that it would help with the gas problem, but unfortunately, it didn't! I also found that when I could take my shower on day 2, blow drying my hair and putting on some makeup made me feel much better!
Good Luck!
Unread 01-10-2006, 05:52 AM
pre-op shopping list?

I hate liquid diets. Ugh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register