Surgery Scheduled for January 26th - Questions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Scheduled for January 26th - Questions! Surgery Scheduled for January 26th - Questions!

Unread 01-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Surgery Scheduled for January 26th - Questions!

I am new to this forum but am glad I found it. I am 36 years old and have not had children. I have been having horrible cramping and bleeding for about a year and a half. I had a D&C at the end of October but it didn't help, it only got worse. I do have a fibroid tumor in my uterine wall, the only way to remove it is by having a hysterectomy. My doctor has now scheduled it for Jan. 26th. I have so many questions. It sounds like younger women should keep their ovaries if they are okay to prevent the hormone issues. I think I have decided to do that. What about keeping the cervix? Pros or cons? I did have to have part of my cervix removed several years ago due to pre-cancerous cells. Not sure what to do? I will have another period starting on Sunday and I am just dreading next week. I am so ready to have this over with. Please share any thoughts with me, I would really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM

Hi Chris!

I would definitely keep the ovaries if nothing is wrong with them. About the cervix, since you had pre-cancerous cells before, I personally would opt to be rid of it. It's your decision though. I had mine removed cause of endo, and I can say that I have no problems with support or sex. Sex in fact, is much better! If you elect to remove it, make sure you speak to your Dr. about support issues with removal of your cervix. I had a LAVH and my support is better now than before my surgery, "my Dr's words" but he is also very highly regarded and skilled in this field. Maybe you should talk to your Dr. about your concerns regarding your cervix. I wish you the best of luck, and do what you feel is best for you!
Unread 01-04-2006, 06:47 PM

Thanks for your response. I have a question for you, do you still have your period since you kept your ovaries? I'm a little confused on this. Do you still bleed, do you still have cramps, PMS,? I also heard today that you still need to use birth control if you keep your ovaries. Why, where would the fertilized egg go if nothing is left?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Hi!

I'll do my best to answer your questions. Removal of the uterus doesn't allow for periods anymore. I have no pain, cramping, maybe some PMS though But really, I used to get one to two zits around that time of the month before I had surgery, and after surgery I've noticed I still get them once a month. Since I have my ovaries, I would blame it on the hormone thing. Ya know?? After surgery, you don't need BC pills, because there's no way you can get pregnant. If you keep your cervix, I believe it's closed off somehow. My cervix is gone and am sewn shut at the top of the vagina, called the "vaginal cuff". An egg is only fertilized if sperm enters it. Your unfertilized egg is dissolved in your body and doesn't cause any harm.

I hope this helps and I really hope everthing works out for you!!!
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:17 PM

It does, thanks for your help!
Unread 01-05-2006, 05:10 AM

My doc told me that because I had pre cancer cells removed from my cervix on three occasions that they would suggest removing the cervix. I had some concerns about prolapse and she said if i didn't have problems before, that I shouldn't have them now. I'm having the works, and am okay with it, but still slightly afraid of the outcome. Please make sure your doctor knows about your concerns and write down all your questions. Sometimes they don't always remember to discuss everything.
Peace and health to you
Donna
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:35 AM

Hi Chris, Best of luck to you and welcome. My surgery date is Monday, January 23rd so our dates are very close to one another. I am keeping my overies and my cervix. From what I have read its a very personal decision pertaining to the removal of the cervix something you should definitely discuss with your Dr and your husband. So how are you holding up? One day I am ready to get this behind me and the next I'm an emotional wreck. Take good care! Melanie
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:40 AM

Hi Chris!,

I agree with keeping your ovaries if you are a good candidate. The ovaries secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair, to name a few. And why remove something if it is not broken , I always see on Hyster Sisters forums.

On the cervix, I did keep my cervix with my hyst. If a Hyster Sister keeps one or both ovaries and the cervix, there is a chance of a ~min-period~ in post-op. I had my cervix **cauterized** during my hyst and I have not had a mini-period in post-op.

My Dr. suggested I keep my cervix since I was a good candidate and I had had normal pap smears for years. He felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. That has been true for me with both. I can suggest just talking to your Dr. and getting his heart-to-heart opinion about your cervix...the hopes for it in the future and whether it could give you any problems in post-op, if you decided to keep it.

Mary
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:49 AM

Hi Chris,
I had sort of the same problems you are having. I had my hysterectomy January 27, 1999 at the age of 25. I don't have any children either. I had pre-cancerous cells on my cervix and had it partially removed in 1997 and then completely removed when I had my total hysterectomy. If I were you I would have the cervix completely removed since you have had the pre-cancerous cells also. I would leave the ovaries if you are able to. I had to have a complete hysterectomy due to a severe case of endometriosis. I was diagnosed with it when I was 11 (my first menstrual cycle) and had 9 surgeries until I was eventually forced to have the hysterectomy. Going through the menopause was as bad if not worse than going through the hysterectomy, it lasted for 4 years. Try explaining to someone when you're 25 that you're having hot flashes and all that comes along with menopause, people look at you like you're nuts anyway my point is if you're able to keep your ovaries please do everything you can to salvage them. Good luck to you and all your future holds!
FinallyAtPeace-Rachel
Unread 01-05-2006, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I think due to my past history, I will have my cervix removed as well. When is your surgery? I wish you the best of luck as well with everything!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register