Does everyone get a "pre-op" ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does everyone get a "pre-op" ? Does everyone get a "pre-op" ?

Unread 01-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Does everyone get a "pre-op" ?

I have seen a lot of you talk about going in for a pre-op. I don't have anything like that, I just go into the hospital on the 12th. Is this something I should call my doctor about ? I mean am I missing something here.

TIA

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 06:44 PM

I had pre-op lab work and had to answer a bunch of questions. It seems logical to have this stuff done before a major surgery. I would definitely call your Dr.s office and ask about this. Best of luck to you!!!!
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:21 PM

I would imagine it is standard. I would call the doctor. I have always had them before my surgerys. As a matter of fact, I had mine for my surgery today.

Let us know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 07:31 PM

Not everyone has a pre-op. I like the idea of having one. It gave me an opportunity to ask questions about the surgery and discuss the ovaray issue (to keep or not to keep). I had all the testing (EKG, chest X-ray, blood work) done prior to admitance. The only test that was left for the day I arrived at the castle was the pregnancy test.
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:31 PM

Thanks ladies.
Maybe it was done the last time I saw him, We already knew about the fibroids and uterus being enlarged , bad periods etc etc. He had done a biopsy previously as the endometrium lining was very thick, and when my husband and I went in to get the results we made the choice then of the Hyst. Hubby did step out while the doc did another internal exam to see if it could be done vaginally so maybe that was it ? I did get a letter of do's and don'ts for the night before I go in.
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:39 PM

My pre-op was basically a review of what my doctor and I had already discussed, and the risks in more depth, and we did a question/answer time. I asked all those questions the ignorant ask, having never had surgery.

I then did a pre-admit in the hospital, had bloodwork, which included a pregnancy test and was briefed on the prep before surgery, bowel cleanser and a vaginal douche.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have to go to the hospital for a pre-admit and bloodwork closer to your surgery date.
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Maybe they will do it the morning I go in or maybe I'm all set. I saw a lot talk about bloodwork and I know I didn't have any of that.

Deb
Unread 01-04-2006, 08:11 PM

The hospital called me about a week before surgery to schedule the pre-op at the hospital. My pre-op was 10/13 and my surgery was 10/18. My pre-op consisted of having insurance info on file and signing papers; bloodwork, EKG, urine sample, checking oxygen level, vitals, and talking to an anesthesiologist (not the one I had for surgery). I also received instructions for the day before surgery and surgery day. Oh, I also got my little breathing machine which I had to take to the hospital on surgery day and breath in during my hospital stay. The hospital also gave me my handy dandy bracelet that stayed on my wrist until my release from the hospital. On the day of surgery my vitals were done.

Best wishes and 's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register