Pre-Op Jitters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Jitters Pre-Op Jitters

Unread 01-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Pre-Op Jitters

I am scheduled for a total hysterectomy on January 23rd and would like to know how much pain is associated with the surgery. I have had only minor surgery in the past and I am really nervous and anxious about the upcoming surgery. Can some of you share your experiences with me as far as pain management and what changes I can expect during the healing process?? Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Pre-Op Jitters

Are you having it abdominally or vaginal? That might make a difference. I had an abdominal one and have been off pain meds after 1 week post op. Everyone is different and has different tolerances. Just plan on doing NOTHING week one........... I am week 3 and feeling good!!! :-) Hope that helps!!!
Unread 01-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Pre-Op Jitters

January Sister!

Here's my .

I felt just like you--very concerned about the "after" effects. I had only had outpatient surgery up until this point.

I had talked to my dr about pain control prior to the surgery and was informed that I would have a pain pump following surgery. Another concern I had was possible nausea from the anesthesia. I spoke to my dr about that, too, as well as the anesthesiologist at my pre-op and the day of the surgery. They gave me anti-nausea meds through the IV in the OR before I even went to the recovery room. No nausea at all!!

When I woke in the recovery room, a nurse was right at my bedside and asked did I have pain. I did, but not delibitating. She immediately gave me a shot of something through the IV. They then hooked up my pain pump and handed me the button to push if I needed it. I don't think I used the pain pump at all in the recovery room. I really didn't have much "surgical" pain and only used the pain pump a few times when I was getting ready to stand and/or walk the evening of and day after the surgery. FYI--The catheter, IV and pain pump were removed the day after surgery.

The pain I had was caused by gas. They did give me some type of anti-gas meds in the hospital and I used Gas-X when I came home.

I was able to get into my bed at home the night of my return from the castle. My mattress is high and I had no trouble sitting down. Lying down was not an easy feat but I managed. I sleep on my side and did notice discomfort in that position. I used pillows by my belly and incision (bikini cut) while lying in bed. I did take a pain pill before bed for the first week or so; it made it easier to get into bed and to sleep.

I also had checked with my dr prior to surgery about antibiotics. She told me they would be administered in my IV during surgery.

Remember--everyone reacts differently to the surgery. I do think a positive attitude and an active role in your recovery can help.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Your HysterSisters are here to help in any way we can.

Remember to when you get home!

s

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Pre-Op Jitters

honestly, I did WAY better than I could have ever imagined. From surgery my pain was about a 2/10 at its worst. The worst pain was from gas after surgery... truly the waiting and the anticipation and "worst case senerio" thoughts were WAY worse than the surgery.
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Pre-Op Jitters

Hey Jan Sis!

I am scheduled for a TAH on 1/19 - pre-op jitters to the max! It gets worse as you get closer but reading the posts from others who have gone through it really helps. You will feel like you are not alone. They will answer questions you never knew to ask!

These hystersisters will tell it like it is - and there are a lot of variations for recovery. Most seem to be happy with thier decision.

But still - we 'ladies in waiting' will continue to worry and lose sleep!

No help with your question - I know - just deep felt sympathy 'cause I'm right there with you!

Good luck and follow the advise you get from these wise women!
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Pre-Op Jitters

Ladies in waiting,
I think the pain depends on who you are: age, weight, & tolerance. I'm 49, physically fit but I have had some pain....i don't like pain at all. When I got to my room, my DH said it looked like I was playing jeopardy with the morphine pump ..he said I would push it & fall back to sleep. They took it out the next day & replaced it with percocet every 4 hours & I was ready for it. My first week home I woke up every 4 hours I was in pain, as each week has passed it gets better. You will only be as uncomfortable as you want since you're managing the pain meds. The castle was great, my recovery has been great. I took antibiotics after I left the castle, kept incision clean & used neosporin on it 2 x per day. Follow your Dr. orders, that was one reason I was on pain meds so long...I was doing too much! If you ask your Dr. you'll have most anything you need b-4 & after surgeryBest wishes for an uneventful surgery & recovery.
God Bless
Lori
Unread 01-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Pre-Op Jitters

Well, let's see. I have had what they call a Pfannenstiel (I think that's spelled right) incision twice (that's the one that goes hip to hip -- a "bikini cut"). Once was in my early 20's for an appendectomy gone wrong, and once was 2 years ago for my hysterectomy.

The first time all I had for pain relief was IM shots of Demerol every 4-6 hours. Not the greatest. When you got the shot you could not keep your eyes open, and when you needed the shot ... OW!!

The second time I was on a pain pump, which gives you a small continuous dose of morphine and if you need it you can "click" yourself some more. Compared to the pain the first time I had had the same incision, this was a nice surprise. I was really pretty comfortable overall and had an easier time getting up and around. I don't guess the pain was worse than a 4 our of 10, and that very seldom. I really didn't take pain meds at all once they disconnected the IV. It was a bit sore, sure, but not bad at all.

Unread 01-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Pre-Op Jitters

I have a piece of advise for you. If they give you a morphine pump...dont't push the button unless you really need it. I misunderstood and thought it needed to be pushed every few minutes and I got sooooo sick to my stomoch the next day...and the pain from throwing up was the worse pain of all. I remember telling my son if I fell asleep to make sure he pushed that button for me. Yikes. I wish someone would have warned me about that before I went in. Gas is also a problem. I took gas x and walked as much as possible.
For all the ladies in waiting..I am just over 4 months post op and it seems like years ago to me now. You do forget the pain and you do get through it..but you don't have to go thru it alone. You have all the sisters on this site. I haven't been on this site for quite awile but tonight I felt compelled to come back and check in.
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Pre-Op Jitters

I took anti nausea meds also through the IV. Woke up with the morphine pump, just pushed it when I needed it. When I was done with the pump, they told me I wouldn't get any pain meds unless I asked for them. Be sure you take them every 4-6 hours, it will save you a lot of pain! I took my pain meds for a week after surgery, then use tylenol or motrin now.

Everyone is different, good luck on your surgery.
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Pre-Op Jitters

I was given pain pills in the hospital but after the second day I didn't need them. Never got any morphine. I was given a prescription but never used them beyond the second day home. The pain was never beyond the "ouch" sort.

I enjoyed my 6 weeks off immensely. Pampered myself completely and had a great time. I drove for the first time a week after my hospitalization.

You DO get tired very easily. Hey, it's been 10 months and I still get tired sometimes. But I figure I continue to progress - and that's the main thing.

The most important thing is to take care of yourself! And don't pick anything up. (You will bloat up like a balloon - trust me on this!) My doctor said "if you want to wind up back in the hospital with a hernia go ahead and pick heavy stuff up."

Been doing well. Will include you in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register