adenomyosis - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:27 PM
adenomyosis

loislane97
My periods stated out just like yours, however starting around a year ago they got a little worse as the months went by. Each period coming sooner than the other, just thought my cycles were messed up. Didn't think much about it. Just thought that my friend(that's what I used to call it)wasn't being very friendly, HA!HA! I was always regular. 3 days start to finish since I was 11, even after my 3 children. In October of this year I got what I call the big one, it knocked me for a loop, the pain that came with it made me hit the floor and my DH had to carry me to the couch, had to call off work for the first time, boy did I feel stupid for calling off because I got my period, I could just hear what they were saying when they read the call off. So I decided I better get to the doctor. After 2 visit he said that I might have adenomyosis (he always waits for the pathogy report to make sure)but becaquse of all the pains I have it's a quality of life issue and did I want to contiune with they way my life was every month when I was finished having children anyway. Youngest child is 15, no way was I going to have anymore in this stage of my life. So after talking over all the opinons we decided to go for it. Since then the pain has become horrible, not just with my periods which are the worst. Pain that makes it hard just to walk let alone do anything else. Now the pain is always there, but stabbing back pain, cramping, and a little shotting pain in my lower stomach is better to bare then the pain that comes with my period. To think about it that's awful, but beleive me I can deal with it until Thursday. I'm sorry I'm so long with this, I just needed to vent a little. Thursday is coming quick now and I'm starting to get a little scared, but I know I will feel so much better, it has to feel better than this. Thanks everyone for being there. God bless you one and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2006, 04:37 PM
adenomyosis

so, if I understand you correctly....they diagnosed you with adeno. but not until they did the HYSTER. did they find that it wasnt adeno, but fibroids, instead?? Im wondering if that might be the case with me - they have diag. me with adeno. but thru a pelvic ultrasound only - NO surgical sampling, etc....people have asked me, "HOW? have they diag. you without a sample of tissue?? I dont know HOW they come to the conclusions they come to. I just know, if having a hyster. will make the pain go away - pain from WHATEVER, I AM ALL FOR IT!! I think you will feel WONDERFUL soon - that is my wish for you, cyclist42.
good luck!
loislane97
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:38 PM
adenomyosis

I was diagnosed with adeno before surgery through a vaginal ultrasound. I think it depends on the technician and the extent of the adeno as to whether it can always be diagnosed that way. They do pathology afterwards and mine did confirm the adeno. Sometimes people don't know they have it and then pathology reports will come back with a diagnosis of adeno.

After two years of knowing something was wrong - the doctors kept telling me it was my age, put me on birth control and hormones - I finally found a doctor that listened to me and pursued the problem.

I am at 7 weeks post op now and my quality of life has been restored. It is my prayerfor anyone that is suffering or questioning whether they are making the right decision that they experience the same relief.

's
Darlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2006, 09:28 PM
adenomyosis

I had an ultrasound that diagnosed an enlarged uterous then they did a d and c and laproscopic look around and diagnosed the andeno. Wish they would have done mine all in one surgery but I'm glad it is done - I was scared before but now i'm just recovering nicely
Unread 01-24-2006, 03:48 AM
adenomyosis

THANK YOU, Darlene, for the insight. I, too, merely want to have back WHAT I HAD. I couldnt believe that simply AGE was my downfall - Im not OLD, Im only 47, but suddenly EVERYTHING seemed to be falling apart! - EVERYONE would say to me, " youre getting older - tothe age where stuff starts happening" well, OK, I was always physically fit...but started about 5 years ago, really noticing a big change inlower back, leg, and period pain...i thought NOTHING of the period pain...never for a moment thought the 2 were connected!! I am thinking now, that THEY ARE! Then in Oct. of this year, they FINALLY, after 3 years of "games with my body" decided to kill my thyroid with radioactive iodine - OK, so, JUST this past friday, my body finally has "turned" I am now HYPO thyroid - let me tell you, the feelings from THAT are horrible (I am wondering, as ALL of this seems to have happened at the same time - mid Dec. when "mad belly" started flaring...and it was ABOUT that time that my blood counts - T4 or T3? "flipped" and has SKYROCKETED! ) ANYWAY.....could they somehow be related???? I have my 2nd opinion on the "what to do about the adeno." appt on the 30th, and I will ask that - my thyroid doc. didnt seem to think there was a connection - he said, your thyroid probs, where making you feel tired, depressed, etc....will not enlarge your uterus or give you contractions, etc....Anyone "out there" have any thoughts to this??
OK, I sooo appreciate everyones comments and words of advice. THANK YOU GIRLS. YOU ARE ALL MUCH APPRECIATED.
lois
Unread 01-24-2006, 05:34 AM
adenomyosis

I had my surgery on Dec 1st 2005 tah/bso due to enlarged uterus/non stop periods. dr said if she didnt know better i was was 4-5 months pregnant. At my post op check the pathology report showed adenomyosis. Since my surgery I feel great, I had back pain prior to my surgery and now thats gone too, a added bonus to having the surgery. It's great to have my clothes feel good. Now to get rid of the extra belly flab thats still there.
Unread 01-24-2006, 02:58 PM
adenomyosis

Loislane97 - yes, that's right about adeno was the first thought, then fibroids was the reality. I had a vaginal ultrasound but it didn't show adeno or fibroids. My family practice physician suspected endometriosis. But, when my gynecologist examined me and found my uterus to be globular that he suspected adenomyosis. That was it. No other tests. All I knew is that the pain was horrendous during my period - not mid-cycle. The Pill didn't work for me since I got so nauseaus so a vaginal hyst was scheduled. The pathology report afterwards found 2 fibroids. I don't know how big or small but will find out on Monday when I go for my 6 week appt.

I realized the other day that I passed the time that would have been my normal period and... ta da! No period! I know that sounds dumb but it's still so hard to believe I'll never have another period.

When is your hysterectomy? I wish you all the best...
Unread 01-24-2006, 05:13 PM
adenomyosis

I am not yet scheduled, but I am HOPING it will be SOON. the 1st OB DOC I was referred to said, "oh, lets wait 2 months and see how you are doing" I said IM NOT DOING WELL NOW, I HAVENT BEEN DOING WELL ALL THIS PAST MONTH (it had suddenly taken FLIGHT!)....I didnt understand HIS wanting me to wait?? so i called my primary - she said HE';S NUTS!! your quality of life is suffering - you are symptomatic NOW, lets deal withthis NOW!! so I am having a 2nd opinion on the 30th....I am just sooo hoping this OB feels as I do, and I may as well at my age, just TAKE IT OUT!! I will keep youposted. THANK YOU for the response.
Unread 02-04-2006, 12:29 PM
adenomyosis

You are describing what I have gone through for 5+ years! My gyn suspects adeno, cant be confirmed till post-hyst I am finally scheduled for hyst in 2 weeks-thank God, cant wait!!
Unread 02-04-2006, 01:56 PM
adenomyosis

my swelly belly was gone after surgery. I am now 10 days post op and have not really had any abdominal swelling. I drank a lot of soda yesterday and was up a lot and did notice a little but I think it was just gas. I was having a lot of back pain before surgery and it is now completely gone. I feel sooooo much better. Thaking God each day for the gift of life and the opportunity to have a surgery that will improve my quality of life. Take care and God's blessings. Waiting IS the worst part.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register