Just how big is a 15 wk uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just how big is a 15 wk uterus? Just how big is a 15 wk uterus?

Unread 01-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Just how big is a 15 wk uterus?

I was just wondering how big a 15 wk uterus is, that's the top end of where my dr. said mine was, and from the way I feel.... How big is that? Isn't a uterus normally about the size of a pear? Or is it pear shaped? I know some have posted the weight in grams, but what size fruit is that? If anyone can give an idea, please let me know. oh also I had to have the bladder testing done to see if I need a sling, so if anyone wants to know what that's like, I'll let you know! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2006, 08:50 PM

KelCo, I have always heard it is pear shaped. Mine is oversized too. Our operations are 1 day apart. Sorry I wasn't much help. I am curious at the answers you will get.
Unread 01-05-2006, 09:58 PM

Hi, I having the bladder sling done Monday along with my TVH. I didn't know there was special testing other than an exam. What did your testing involve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2006, 10:05 PM

the testing is a cystoscopy, they test for stress incontinence or mixed incontinence. You can see a urogynocologist for this procedure. I will be getting a tvt along with a tsh as well good luck I will keep you in my prayers
celticd
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:04 AM

Hopefully -that's the testing I had done, what Celtic d described. I was pretty nervous, but it wasn't painful in any way. Kind of lose any modesty though! lol They use a catheter and slowly fill your bladder, and at certain points have you cough to see if there is any leakage. I am not conclusive, which means I'll probably wait on the bladder sling until I can see how my bladder reacts to no uterus pushing on it.
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:07 AM

KelCo,
I just saw your surgery date is the same as mine! I'm starting to get very nervous! My doctor told me I have a very enlarged uterus, but I don't have any idea what exactly that means. I'm interested in seeing what responses you receive. Well, good luck on the 19th!
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:19 AM

scavokd - Good luck to you too! I get nervous at times too, then other times I am so ready I can't wait. I have had a couple of melt downs, and my poor dh is not quite sure how to handle it except to say you know it won't get better, you know this is the right thing, and it will be ok. Which is true. I have 3 boys, 12, 10 and 8. DH is taking time off work and I have control issues-ha- so it's hard to let him completely take over. I get nervous about what they will be wearing to school! ha take care!
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:58 AM
15 week uterus is...

At 15 weeks the uterus is usually felt 3"-4" below the belly button. At 20 weeks it's usually right around the belly button. Just guessing, but I'd say the fruit comparison would be a grapefuit. Hope this helps! Blessings to you with your upcoming trip to the castle.

TAH & BSO with vertical incision at age 35. Surgery was due to large ovarian cysts with cancer potential. Left ovarian cyst was the size of a small basketball. Pathology reports came back as "low malignancy potential". HRT of Estradiol .05 patch.
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:12 AM

hi there kel, I asked a similiar questions, will look for the posts.
Yes your uterus pre-preg is about the size of a pear. 3in x 2in (width)x1in (thickness)It does stretch some after pregnacies if you have had any. It is not uncommon for post-preg to be 5inx 3inx 2in, mine at the ultra sound was 11.5x5.?x6.?, enlarged obviously, mostly on the thickness. These are just estimates, and the sites I was checking out all said that when the docs got in there found them to be larger than thought, unless patient was doing some kind of treatment to help shrink it some (like Lupron) before surgery.
I got myself all worked up about it, but the truth is you won't really know what it is until you get your pathology report after surgery. I was relieved to know that the estimated size had a lot to do with my bladder leakage!!! I was afraid I had lots of problems there too.

This is just info I found while doing a search, and can not guarantee on its accuracy, but I'm a "need to know it all" kind of person so I at least had to try to find out.
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:20 AM

Hi KelCo,
I had everything taken out on Dec. 22nd. My hyst. was due to an enlarged uterus and fibroids also. My dr. said that mine was enlarged 14 weeks. I asked if he would take a picture of what he took out of me...kind of gross I know but I wanted to see. It was ugly! He said that mine was a little larger than a softball. So grapefruit size for yours would probably be about right. Good luck! This is a great site to talk with others about our surgeries. I love it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register