Weight Gain for afterwards? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Gain for afterwards? Weight Gain for afterwards?

Unread 01-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Weight Gain for afterwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_deb
Count me in as being worried about weight gain. I am 5'1" and every extra pound seems to show. I do physically demanding work so I have stayed in pretty good shape but I know it will be quite awhile before I can be hanging drywall again (grin) I think it's a great idea if we support each other after we get home from the Castle. I go in on the 12th. What are you planning for meals the last few days ? Tonight I had a broiled pork chop with carrots and mashed potatoes, this will be the last "heavy" meal before Thursday morning for me . I have done 48 juice fasts in the past and you really do feel great afterwards, this is fresh squeezed juice, grapefruit and oranges. My plan tomorrow is to eat light. Soups and salads and then onto the fast. I am hoping this will help fight off constipation that I have been reading about.
I will be most interested to hear if the juice fasting helps with the BM situation. I hear the gas pains can be unbearable. I know that warm water with lemon takes care of "normal constipation" wonder if it will work for this. That's what I'm asking for at the Castle. As for the week, I will eat healthy and take my vitamins as I normally due. Don't want to catch a cold. I also try to stay in pretty good shape. I'm 5'3" and can relate to what your saying. Stopped running beginning Dec. didn't feel good. Haven't been able to keep up with my other daily exercise routine since my laparoscopy Dec. 20th.Tried some exercises last week, not smart, too soon, lesson learned. Scheduled for hyst on the 16th. Gonna be careful. Pre-opt tomorrow. Best to you at the Castle. I got a laugh at that! Keep me posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 07:42 PM

I cant believe I found this site. I am having a supracervical hyster ( i dont know all the abbreviations yet) on Jan 12th. I am worried about so many things, especially my weight, I gained alot of weight due to stress and the huge fibroid growing as well. I have a few days until my surgery but I will also join the pact to get back on track and get healthy again.
Unread 01-10-2006, 10:14 AM

I was so excited at the thought of losing my huge uterus that I was really motivated to leave the hospital with a weight loss. I wallked on my treadmill everydayfor 2 months for 30 min. at a minimum speed before surgery and had lost about 15 pounds before I went in. Then in the hospital I lost about 4 more. I was on a liquid diet at the hospital plus when I got home the only thing that really tasted good to me was hot tea. Through all the tests before surgery I found that my thyroid was pretty much non functioning and so I am on life time meds for that and I think that really helped to kick start my weight loss. Today was the first day I tried a pair of jeans instead of sweat pants and even with my swelly belly they are just dropping off of me. Now I really have motivation to lose 15 more lbs.!! I am 4 weeks post op and I am going to start walking again this week. I am bound and determined not to gain it all back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2006, 11:33 AM

Granted I'm a Weight Watcher, so gaining after surgery would definitely not be a good thing for me to do! That said, I really don't think you January princesses have to worry about packing on the pounds after your surgery. For me, I'm still getting my full appetite back. It's much better than it was, but for the first 2-3 weeks food didn't really interest me that much. Plus, I seemed to get full with less amount of food than pre-op. If you're really freaked about it, absolutely DO NOT get on the scale as soon as you get home from the castle!!! I did that expecting to have lost 10-15 pounds ( which is what I just knew my uterus had to weigh - not, the stinking diseased thing was barely even half a pound, lol) and instead was UP 20! Thank goodness it was just gas and all of the tremendous amount of fluids they pumped into me post-op and was gone within 3 weeks. Since then, without even really paying attention to the WW program, I've lost about 5 pounds.

Your nerves are frazzled, you're scared and worried about your upcoming surgeries and recoveries - please don't add the worry of possible weight gain to your already overloaded minds. Just know that if you do happen to gain a few pounds during recovery, once you get the ok to start exercising you'll get them back off. Good luck and speedy recovery January sisters!
Unread 01-10-2006, 12:16 PM

Hi girls,
I had LAVH October 28. I had not been able to exercise for about 1 yr due to pain. Hormones, pain meds and stress caused me to gain a few lbs before surgery. After surgery I lost 3 lbs. I attributed this to the loss of
some of my "innards". I gained it all back plus 2 after
recovery and christmas. (i just cant say no to cookies!)
I dont think HRT has caused me to gain weight, though I will say I am puffy. My belly seems to be swollen at the end of the day. Normal i think. I am trying to take things in stride, recognizing my body has been through years of trauma from endo, fertility and now surgery. I try to make healthy choices about what I eat and look forward to exercising again. Right now I am just trying to relax and enjoy my new pain free life. Dont stress too much before surgery about possible weight gain....
you will have plenty of time to think about that stuff while you are recovering. I had lots of fun during my recovery thinking about all the exercise I could choose to participate in since I had no more pain. My husband and I might even take up karate!!! :-)
Hang in there gals! I will be praying for you!
love
winonawasabi
Unread 01-10-2006, 12:29 PM

Well let me tell you it will be one year for me on the 3-16-06 that I had my Hyst. I had an LAVH. Was able to keep one ovary. Yes I'm happy I was able too keep one. My ovary was in shock for awhile after the surgery. My Dr's didn't tell me this could happen. So I'm warning you for those of you who do not know this can happen. I had the night sweats, and chills, and hot flashes thru the day. I would go in an stand in my pantry where it's much cooler because of these.

Now about the weight gain. I lost 11 lbs. after surgery. i tried being super women. Don't try this. take your time and heal before your aloud to do anything. *** I Didn't *** Wished I would have. But I can say I'm more healthy now then ever before. Hardly no weight gain at all. Spring and summer I was walking two miles every day. Lifting light weights. Now that the weather is Yucky, I don't walk as much as I did. I love walking outside, and can't wait till the day comes I can get back on my routine.I Do still lift my weights!!!! Eat right, walk do what ever you can to make your bones health afterwards. Drink plenty of water. I think some women use having a hyst. as an excuse for weight gain..... I know my sister did, and she had me scared too death over weight gain..... She was home for a visit after xmas.... She looked at me and said gosh you haven't gained any weight have you? I do think I did over Xmas, with the choc. and all the baked goods..... I could stand to gain a few lbs. I'm 100 lbs. now.. would like being about 115..... I'm 5 ft. 1. Good luck girls... I wish you all a very speedy recovery!
Unread 01-10-2006, 12:54 PM

I know exactly what you mean, I am scheduled for Jan. 26 and I have been trying to lose weight and having a difficult time. What's more, is afterwards...we definitely have to stick together. Does anyone lose weight during a TAH? My uterus is the size of 20 weeks right now....just curious. It would be nice too.

Good luck to all!
Unread 01-10-2006, 03:50 PM

Karole,
I have a question for you...I am 11 weeks post op LAVH....I went back to work at 4 weeks (in retail, had to) I have felt great for the most part until the last week. The last few days, I had pressure in
my belly/pelvic area and achey legs. i woke up with a migraine today. All of this was EXACTLY how I felt week 2.5 - 3. Its like I am having a relapse....except how can you have a relapse of LAVH??? Am I crazy or normal??? I could not even get out of the bed today!!! HELP!
love
winonawasabi
Unread 01-10-2006, 07:25 PM

I am stressed about weight gain too! I have lost 60+ lbs over the past year and half on weight watchers. I exercise (running, walking, weights etc.) 5 times a week. I am really worried about packing on the pounds during recovery. I am going to start walking as soon as humanly possible! I will also cut my points back accordingly. Let's keep in touch and keep each other honest.
Unread 01-10-2006, 07:43 PM

I also lost over 50 lbs with weight watchers but with the fibroids, and the stress the created not to mention the pain.. I lost all control over my eating and gained most of it all back. As soon as it is possible I will also be going back to WW. Actually right now as I see it Thursday is approaching very fast, so my weight gain is the last thing I am worried about, I pray that all works out well for all of us and we all start our recovery and lead happy and healthy lives!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register