HRT or not with endo diagnosis? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT or not with endo diagnosis? HRT or not with endo diagnosis?

Unread 01-06-2006, 06:31 AM
HRT or not with endo diagnosis?

I am have a TAH/BSO on 3/10, and am scared to death of the whole HRT mess. I have endo everywhere, and have already had some removed. If they don't get it all, which is likely, won't the HRT cause it to enflame again? I'm so confused. My doc said the only reason I should take anything is because of bone loss, and possible other side effects. I didn't have any hot flashes or mood swings when I was on Lupron, and the doc said that was a good sign that I might not get them after hyst. My mom who is passed never had any problems with menopause, but she was also raising 8 kids, and a nana to 3, so when did she have time to think about it?
My sister is totally involved in holistic healing and is going to be giving up her big wig job to start her own clinic when she is done her classes. I have concidered asking her to do some research for me, which I'm sure she has already started doing because she is very concerned about me taking HRT. Any suggestions on any of this. Your stories are scaring the bejeezus out of me!!!
love and hugs to all
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 06:59 AM

This is something I posted about this in another thread a while ago...

"The HRT decision really depends on your endo and menopause symptoms.

I had my hyst for endo, and removed ovaries as well, so was in menopause. I went the first month with no HRT, but I had insane hot flashes and severe insomnia. At that point, my gyn suggested we try some HRT, and my PCP agreed, due to my age (33) and the concerns you mentioned re: heart, etc. I use Estrogel, three pumps daily, and feel great. I started with one pump, but the flashes came back after one month, so I increased to two. About five months after that, I was getting hot again, and having trouble sleeping, so I upped it to three pumps and moved my dosage time to bedtime instead of after my daytime shower. Now I am happy, sleeping well and am usually the correct temperature.

As far as the endo goes, mine was very minimal and very slow-growing - I had very little disease, just a lot of pain (I was on Demerol by the end of it). Also, most of my pain was with menstruation. Given all these factors, the chance of HRT fuelling a significant return of endo was very low for me, and even if it did come back, it would probably not cause me significant pain without my uterus being there. Someone with fast-growing stage 4 endo and daily pain might make a different decision re: HRT."
Unread 01-06-2006, 07:18 AM

I thought endo. ends when you have TAH?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 07:27 AM

Unfortunately, endo never really ends. After a TAH, if ovaries remain, it can come right back. There only needs to be a microscopic bit of it left behind to flare up. Even with ovaries gone, HRT can do the same, especially unopposed estrogen (estrogen without progesterone).

I had my TAH/RSO (LSO was a couple of years ago) due to endo and I don't intend to go on HRT unless I develop really bad symptoms. So far I have the occasional hot flash and a few headaches, aches and pains but nothing unbearable. My hip's another story but I don't think HRT would help it.

I think being on Lupron before the surgery helped because I had a preview of life without estrogen and felt pretty confident that it would be okay. While taking Lupron, I did try estrogen/progesterone low dose and started mini periods right away. This helped scare me away from the idea of taking it again.
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:35 AM

I had all removed due to endo and consultant wanted me to wait for six weeks for the endo to 'calm down'. I am now on low dose of estrogen and hoping all will be fine. My pain was during periods so hoping it will be ok.
Unread 01-06-2006, 09:20 AM

I am driving myself nuts trying to decide whether to keep the other ovary or not. My dr and PA both say get rid of it. Sounds bad, but I am afraid of losing my sex life. I didn't really get a sex drive until after my first child and that was only 7 years ago. 7 years of great sex is not enough

Good luck deciding
Unread 01-06-2006, 09:58 AM

I am going to my doc today. This is my 7th week postop and I'm hoping for a clean bill of health. However, I am suffering so badly from hotflashes and nightsweats that it is affecting my sleep. Because I start a high stress job next week, I am very concerned that I will not be very effective without enough rest. I have been advised not to take HRT for a while to let the endo calm down so I've been trying to eat soy and use flax seed, and vitamins. So far this has not helped relieve my symptoms. I would like to tough it out naturally if I could. The last thing I ever want to do is go back for more surgery. Any advice for my delema?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register