anterior/posterior repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anterior/posterior repair anterior/posterior repair

Unread 01-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Question - anterior/posterior repair anterior/posterior repair

ok i have 11 days until my surgery on january 17.
they have told me 2 nights in the castle for this one! so my question is.... am i going to need pads when i get home? and do you think i will have to do a bowl prep for this one?
the pre op jitters have set in once again!
didnt think i would get them this time!

thank you sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 11:40 AM
anterior/posterior repair

anybody????????????????????????
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Darla, I'm so sorry to hear that you'll be facing surgery once again. I had rectocele repair with my TVH and also urethral sling. I did not do a bowel prep. I imagine that they may have given me an enima while I was under. But I don't know for sure, because I didn't ask.

A few months before I had a previous urethral sling and the vagina is cut and I was packed with gauze for overnight. With that I did have very slight discharge for a few days. I only needed liners. I don't think that your discharge would be enough for pad, but liners also.

Praying that all goes well and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 11:55 AM

thank you for your reply!
Unread 01-06-2006, 04:28 PM

Darla,

I had the anterior/posterior repair and did have to do a bowel prep beforehand. The drs office gave me instructions where I had to do clear fluids 2 days prior to surgery and then start the bowel prep the day before. It wasn't very pleasant, but I was glad afterwards that I didn't have to have a bm immediately after the surgery!

As for needing pads, I didn't need any. Some others may have had a different experience, but I had some bleeding while in the hospital, and by the time I went home it had stopped.

Best of luck with your surgery!! You can't help but be nervous--even after all the surgery I have had, I get the same nervous feelings before each new one.

Hugs
Becky
Unread 01-06-2006, 04:32 PM
A & P

I had A & P repair with my TVH. I had to do a bowel prep the night before and a liquid diet after 5pm. the night before. Good news is I lost 5 lbs. overnight just with the bowel prep.
Unread 01-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycam
Darla,

I had the anterior/posterior repair and did have to do a bowel prep beforehand. The drs office gave me instructions where I had to do clear fluids 2 days prior to surgery and then start the bowel prep the day before. It wasn't very pleasant, but I was glad afterwards that I didn't have to have a bm immediately after the surgery!
did you do the "go lytley" or magnesium citrate? i actually prefer the mag citrate, it goes down so much easier!
Unread 01-06-2006, 06:52 PM

Hi Darla,
When DR (same as yours) did my repair, I only stayed 2 nights only because my surgery was so late in day (around 9pm). He did not have me do bowel prep. Just the normal no eating/drinking after midnight.
But when you do your preop appt they will give you all your instructions.
If you get sick with anethesia , ask him for a patch to help you. And if you are extemely anxious, ask for a sleeping pill to help out the night before.
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Darla, I did have to do the bowel prep and I needed pads after. As I recall I didn't have too much bleeding after that surgery. I had more just a couple of months ago when my urogyn had to go back in and release the sling. That seemed to go on and on for a few days.
Best wishes on the 17th! I will be thinking about you.
Sherry
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Hi Darla,
Dec 20th, TVH, A/P repair and urethra sling--still healing and still minor pinkish/orangish spotting 18 days post surgery, esp w/BMs.

Just the liners were needed. At home, I've done w/o cause it is so little and just wash my pants cause I hate pads/liners. Had pad on when I left op room, and they gave me pads for the night and going home, but I had brought liners. I left hosp with catheter cause of swelling, so had to return in 2 days to Dr's office to get it out. Stayed less than 24 hours in hosp.

Bowel prep was 2 fleet enemas, 1 at 4pm, 1 at 11pm the night before surgery (liquids only after lunch). Nurse had recommended all day on day before surgery.

I had both epidural and GA, so thankfully, no nausea and worse after surgery. Have no idea if they gave me any meds to prevent nausea or not.

BTW, my urethra sling was done through 2 small holes in the pubic area, not the vagina. Anterior cut was not all the way through and was not about the urethra sling, only the anterior repair.

Renewal (Cheryl)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register