What is this throat thing they are talking about? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is this throat thing they are talking about? What is this throat thing they are talking about?

Unread 01-06-2006, 11:02 AM
What is this throat thing they are talking about?

My doctor explained that they will be inserting a tube down my throat for breathing and that i will have to be breathing on my own before they will remove it. This doesn't sound very appealing. Has anyone heard of this particular part of the surgery? And, by they way, thanks to all of you yesterday (post yesterday was: Can't stop crying-my son was awesome kept me laughing and upbeat the whole time...God Bless him)I had my pre-op and I was a mess before the appointment. But my doctor and the nurses were awesome. They gave me a cd to listen to when I come into the hospital, and for after the surgery (they call it healing music) sounds good to me.....I love music.., anyway I still have one week to go, But I am feeling much better today.....for some reason, I think there is going to be alot of ups and downs this next week. I have to go to the hospital to meet with anesthesiologist(sp check), and do the lab work, sometime in the next week. Due to my high blood pressure they need a medical clearance, I really hope there is no problems with this as I don't think I can go through this preparation, waiting, anxiety, etc....again, so here's hoping for Low Blood Pressure. Hope all the women having surgery today, and coming up in the next week.....are doing great, and to those of you on the other side supporting us(so to speak virgin hysters...lol)it's either over, or almost over..... This sight has been a GODSEND. Thanks to all the ladies who respond to my posts, and even those who don't because just reading what other's are going through or went through has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. THANK YOU ALL!!!

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 11:42 AM

Hi There!!!! They told me I would have one too, but I really don't know that much about it......but I think that is pretty much standard with any surgery, the breathing tube thing!!!!! I know I just had my tubal ligation and endometrial ablasion less than a year ago, and they used a breathing tube, but it was out before I woke up, and I didn't even have any soreness or anything!!!!!! Well, I will be thinking of you, as my surgery is the day before yours!!!!!!
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:54 AM

Hi, I am anxious about the breathing tube as well, but the good part is when you are way under they insert it and they take it out before you wake up. Hearing that made me feel a little better since I couldn't imagine being awake and having a tube put in my throat I hope this helps. I wish you a uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. Take care! Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Hi Ladies,

The "breathing tube" they put down your throat is for the ventilator. If you have general anesthesia, you are put in a sleep so deep that you do not breathe on your own. The ventilator breathes for you. This tube goes down through your trachea so they don't have to worry about your airways staying open.

They do not insert it until you are unconscious. Unless there is a special need you will be off the ventilator before you wake up. You start breathing on your own before you become conscious.

(((Mary))), the cd idea is a good one. I took my favorite calming music with me to the castle with a personal cd player and comfortable earphones (the kind that you can lay down comfortably with). It was very helpful when I got to my room. I could just lay there, listen to my music and block out all the activity that was going on around me.

Your son sounds like a prince. I am glad he was able to be so helpful to you. We will keep our fingers crossed for lower blood pressure.

S,
Kay
Unread 01-06-2006, 12:47 PM

The breathing tube is standard during general anesthesia. As the other sisters have said, it's inserted after you are asleep and they take it out before you are awake. You may experience a slight scratchy throat for a few days, but it's not really a big deal.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I had a little sore throat with 2 earlier surgeries

When I had a laparoscopy in 2001, I had a slight sore throat post-op. The nurse attributed it to the intibation tube. I then remembered the same sore throat symptom after minor surgery when I was 17. I never remembered the tube going in or coming out.
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:09 PM

I had this in all three of my recent surgeries. I hate the feeling of the soreness after. I also hate that tube that I woke up with in my nose and down my throat after my hyst. That stayed in for a day. I don't want that again.
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:30 PM

A naso-gastric tube, like (((Penguin))) had, is very unusual following a hyst. Did you have some bowel work as well? I had to have one of those after an ectopic pregnancy where they had to do some bowel repair surgery. I kept it in for about four days . Like you, I HATED it!

But the breathing tube is not such a big deal. Nearly always, it's gone by the time you wake up enough to actually remember anything!

and good luck on your surgery! Honestly, I think the anticipation of everything is just as difficult as the reality, if not more so...

audrey
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:47 PM

I have had surgery five times I was intubated four times and lucky for me I never had any trouble with my throat. Not all patients get a sore throat some never know they had a tube in there. Everyone that has general anesthesia will be intubated.
Unread 01-06-2006, 02:44 PM

I didn't have anything done to my stomach. But I did have bladder damage with my hyst. I apparently took a turn for the worst with my last c section and hyst both

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register