Doctor qualified? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor qualified? Doctor qualified?

Unread 01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Doctor qualified?

I just came back from another pre-surgery appointment with my OBGYN. I have been with him for about 8 years and think he is quite competent. However, he seems to be performing a hysterectomy about only every other month. He is at the <oops! no hospital names, please> hospital and spends 2 days a week at the hospital with the remainder seeing patients. He has been with this hospital since 1985. Shouldn't he be doing more operations to have the experience? Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Doctor qualified?

Nothing is easy with this, is it? I saw three different doctors, two were gyn/surgeons and my internist to see if I could get a different opinion, other than surgery; all agreed - surgery unavoidable. I called my sister in law in CA who is a surgeon and asked her which would be better -gyn or surgeon, she said at her hospital they always have a surgeon assisted the gyn/surgeon. We live in a much smaller community than she practices in, I explained my concerns and my logic was I wanted someone who did it every day and if there was a problem...fix it. The gyn's did not have the daily practice here. I have an attorney friend who says, "make the best decision you can and don't look back..." I'm going with the surgeon, Good luck and I hope you find some peace somewhere in this.

r
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:21 PM
re: doc Qualified?

It seems that since you are already questioning the situation, that you might be more comfortable with a second opinion and/or meet another doctor to compare with your current gyn. Hopefully you aren't too far into the process to postpone your surgery?

I am going in on Tuesday for a TVH for uterine prolapse & I am quite happy with my surgeon. Initially I went to my gyn, but she wanted to do a bladder sling too in addition to the hyst. I was a bit uncomfortable with the entire idea so I decided to search out another doctor. I found a type of doctor called a Urogynocologist, it is a new type of specialty of gynocologists who deals with pelvic floor problems. Not only did I respect her opinions better, she was obviously more qualified to deal with my problem. She said I did not need the bladder sling & that she would not do it. She was much more thorough in her testing & explainations.

So, just from my experience (first time ever for surgery for me), I would suggest a second opinion, if only to find that you are pleased with your current doctor or to find a more qualified person. I think you would feel much more confident if you did that, I know I do. I am usually a very anxious person but I feel quite at peace with this doctor & I think that is the only way to go when you are considering such a life changing surgery.

I hope I don't send you into a tailspin with these comments, you may already be headed into surgery soon. If so & you cannot make changes, ask the doctor as many questions as possible to put your mind at ease. He may very well be a great surgeon! I don't think his schedule is that unusual for a regular gynocologist but I could be wrong.

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress!

~Krista

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register