need info about post-op exercise | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

need info about post-op exercise need info about post-op exercise

Unread 01-06-2006, 05:40 PM
need info about post-op exercise

As many of you know, my surgery is on the 30th. I want to begin exercising and trying to stay on the healthier side of life, so I can live long enough to watch my children grow. I want to quit smoking, after surgery but do not want to gain weight in the process. How long after is it safe to do simple activities? Any body really know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 07:31 PM

Hi Angelsmina,
I agree! We need better information about regaining fitness after surgery. We all know the cautions that each of us has individual fitness levels, but for those of us who are fit....what can we do without damaging ourselves?

Does it mean: Walking the halls for a week? Walking a block by two weeks? stationary bicycle when?

I'd love a plan...even with the normal cautions to stop at any time there is significant discomfort.

Unread 01-06-2006, 08:15 PM

It all depends on the surgery and your body. Each Doctor will tell you something different. I started back on the treadmill a month ago, and only walked 15 minutes, and suffered the next day. So I didn't go back. I went backto the gym last friday, and did half the weights I used to do, and lower reps. I felt no pain. I went Monday, no pain. I went last night, and have been having an ache in my left side all day. So ya never know. Just take it easy and "ease" into your daily routine. You are having major surgery. The body needs time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Thank you for your words of wise

Thank you albob and elisabeth43 for your responses. We all know it's all about the body healing itself! Have a great evening.
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:53 PM

You should be very cautious when trying to exercise post op. Walking is a very good start. I would not rush to get on a sationary bike too soon, as you could strain your stomach and rip a stitch. After a TAH you have hundreds of internal stitches as well as your external insision. Remember to obey your weight lifting limits. Listen to your body. Moving is very important but do not over do it. You are not even supposed to push a vacuum, so rushing into exercise is not a good idea. You only get once chance to recover. Gradually add exercise as tolerated, and remember that you get 6 weeks for a reason, and you are a princess...pamper yourself!
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:33 AM

When I was still in the hospital they encourage you to walk. I checked with my doctors before leaving and they said walking was very good, walk slow and no inclines. From the day I got home I would go for 10 minute walks starting at about 1 mph. Slowly working my way up. At 4 weeks I walked 40 minutes (2 - 3 times a day) at 2 mph. The doctor said small inclines was fine at 5 weeks but flat was better. At 6 weeks I was back to inclines but not too many and walking a total of 3 hours. When I went back to work I couldn't walk as often but try to walk at least one hour after work and am keeping the weight off and finally have my flat belly back! Check with your doctor to make sure and listen to your body, if you feel some pain stop, rest, put your feet up and maybe use a heating pad (I used the cold swelly belly band when I walked).

Also eating good should go hand in hand with exercise. I actually took weight off during my recovery. I drank cranberry juice three times a day, had a glass of water available all times, drank peppermint tea. I ate yogurt with berries and granola (make sure low in sugar and no transfats) for breakfast. Lots of vegetables and fruits during the day.

Take Care!
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Thank you Jewl3!

Although we are all unique, it is really encouraging to get some guidelines about walking and resuming activity post-op. Your input helps me get a sense of what may be possible!
Unread 01-08-2006, 03:55 PM

Angels.

I started back lifting weights the day after my 4-wk checkup; my doc said I could now lift up to 35 pounds...not that I curl 35 pounds - only 12-15 at most! Still, I reduced my sets and weight load, did the sit down exercycle for 15 minutes at low resistance and felt tired, but that good after-exercise tired.

Starting week 2, I'd do 10-15 minutes strolling laps in the fenced acre yard, throwing balls for the dogs. I began taking real walks of 15 minutes, though easy, in our back woods with the dogs the beginning of week 3. By the beginning of week 4, I was no longer strolling and began walking at a nice clip, and after my clearance with the doc on Jan 6, exactly 4 wks after surgery, I began walking 1.5 miles at an aerobic rate on a straightaway. I was also taking 20 minute am and pm walks with the dogs, so three walks a day.

Prior to surgery, I had been exercising this much, so I was just getting back to normal. I knew that I'd have a better recovery if I went into surgery in good shape, so I got serious about exercise about a month before surgery. I'm not a serious exerciser, just want to be in decent shape, so I do interesting walks and never did do much aerobic in the gym, just lifted relatively light weights.

When starting back up, I started back up slowly, reduced time and weight loads, did only what felt 100% comfortable, and I'm still not up to where I was prior to surgery and probably won't be for a good month. I'm now walking 2 miles in 30 minutes, which feels like a bit of a workout, but isn't too stressful. I come home tired and often feel the need to rest.

Like another post mentioned, I have been very careful about food. When I got home from surgery, I put myself on half-rations, eating what I was eating before surgery, but literally cut all portions in half, drank lots of herbal and green tea and water, ate 3 meals a day and if I needed a snack, it was always something healthy but small. I made my husband take ALL snacky foods out of the house, so I wouldn't go foraging, but I still tried! Found nothing. Besides the 3 pounds I lost from my fibroid uterus, I dropped a pound or two during recovery, and now I'm slowly losing. I had about 20 pounds excess before the surgery, so my goal is to lose that.

The one thing that I feel so good about with the surgery is my resolve to get healthy again, to eat regular meals, to treat myself well. I've always eaten organic, etc...but I ate too much, didn't eat regular meals, grazed, and that doesn't work for me.

I believe that because as soon as I got home and implemented a strict regime about meals, I'm easily sticking to it now at the 5 week mark. It's becoming habit now, and it's really exciting. It wasn't hard to stick to it originally because it was simply too difficult to get out of bed and go down the stairs, then have to walk back up them.
I hope you have as much success as I've had!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register